Is Cocu improving Tom Lawrence

Archied

On 08/02/2020 at 17:20, Millenniumram said:

For me, Lawrence hasn’t changed under any manager during his time here. He’s not got better and he’s not got worse.

This.

Also, I watched the 15mins you get on Sky this Morning, What I saw made me smile, Was TLs smile with his goal and celebration, Rooney getting involved and jumping onto players, There seems to be an enjoyment, Something I hope is showing a togetherness.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to argue that he's not. Tom is now looking like the player we thought we were buying. I'd imagine having Rooney around is a factor too. Nobody can give it the 'I'm the Billy Big Nads' when he's in the side after all. Long may it last in any case. Thought his strike against Swansea was as good as anything from Harry WIlson last year. Actually felt a little sorry for their keeper who didn't have a scooby which way the ball was travelling and ended up choosing neither. He looked a tad daft with his feet rooted to the ground. I got over it pretty quick, mind!

I have to disagree with Cocu when he believes Lawrence is a better playing out wide. His best performances have come from him playing down the middle, he looks dangerous and unpredictable. He has all the potential to be a match winner, the problem he has is when he plays bad, it's very noticeable because of his rash tackling and poor decision making. 

He's been doing excellent the last month because he's doing the basics right, no showboating poo and taking on 4-5 players, losing the ball.  

On 08/02/2020 at 18:34, papa_lazarou said:

I think Lawrence is improving because of Rooney. The whole side has lifted, the work ethic has changed. Maybe a few home truths have been uttered and it's hit home.

Cocu has to take some of the credit of course, but the shift is noticeable due to the coach on the pitch reinforcing the managers message.

Long my it continue! Let's not get too excited yet...... Long way to go. There will still be some bumps in the road, but it's great to be a Rams fan again.

The lad has talent, always has.... Maybe the penny has dropped and he can go on to reach his full potential. Up the Rams..... and welll done to the team and the coaching staff today for getting that monkey of our backs. There should be no fear facing Bristol..... They aren't anything special.... No side in this division is!

There's definitely an element to this argument.  I mean it's one thing for a manager to rate you, but if England & Manchester United's record goal scorer tells you to your face that you're a good player, but you could be even better, you're gonna take it on board.  It doesn't even have to be as abrupt a compliment as that.  When I was a younger player, being told "Well played" by a teammate who I rated & looked up to did wonders for my confidence within games...

23 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

I have to disagree with Cocu when he believes Lawrence is a better playing out wide. His best performances have come from him playing down the middle, he looks dangerous and unpredictable. He has all the potential to be a match winner, the problem he has is when he plays bad, it's very noticeable because of his rash tackling and poor decision making. 

He's been doing excellent the last month because he's doing the basics right, no showboating poo and taking on 4-5 players, losing the ball.  

He might be better in the middle but the team plays better when is on the wing and not disturbing Holmes' game.

58 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

There's definitely an element to this argument.  I mean it's one thing for a manager to rate you, but if England & Manchester United's record goal scorer tells you to your face that you're a good player, but you could be even better, you're gonna take it on board.  It doesn't even have to be as abrupt a compliment as that.  When I was a younger player, being told "Well played" by a teammate who I rated & looked up to did wonders for my confidence within games...

Unless that manager’s played over 100 times for Holland, won La Liga once with Barcelona and the Eredivisie four times as a player, and three times as manager. You’d think he would listen to him a little.

1 hour ago, TramRam said:

This.

Also, I watched the 15mins you get on Sky this Morning, What I saw made me smile, Was TLs smile with his goal and celebration, Rooney getting involved and jumping onto players, There seems to be an enjoyment, Something I hope is showing a togetherness.

Yep, let’s hope that the good team spirit is genuine. Certainly seems that way. Perhaps playing with someone like Rooney has brought them all together?

1 hour ago, SouthStandDan said:

His best games for us have always been when he's played on the wing, but drifting inside

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Yep, let’s hope that the good team spirit is genuine. Certainly seems that way. Perhaps playing with someone like Rooney has brought them all together?

I think the having gone through a difficult start to the season and got through it makes me think some genuine spirit is growing as well - if it had been easy from the off then got tricky it's a lot harder to really be caring.

2 hours ago, curb said:

Unless that manager’s played over 100 times for Holland, won La Liga once with Barcelona and the Eredivisie four times as a player, and three times as manager. You’d think he would listen to him a little.

Of course, but as a player, especially on the pitch during a game, I would also respond better to encouragement from senior players. 

22 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think the having gone through a difficult start to the season and got through it makes me think some genuine spirit is growing as well - if it had been easy from the off then got tricky it's a lot harder to really be caring.

To be fair there were some genuine spirits at the start of the season as well... hear they have a few good ones on down the joiners

Archived