Is Cocu improving Tom Lawrence

Archied

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just like criticising a player after one bad game, I don’t think you can make comments suggesting that Lawrence has definitely improved after one good game. After all, we’ve seen it all before with Tom - he has one good game then vanishes. Hopefully that won’t be the case this time, but he needs to show some consistent form for me to start believing he’s anything more than an average player at this level. 

For me, Lawrence hasn’t changed under any manager during his time here. He’s not got better and he’s not got worse. He’s still exactly the same inconsistent player who has one good game in 10 that he’s always been - exactly the same as the majority of widemen at this level, in fairness. He’s never been as bad as some would have you believe, but he’s never shown the consistency to be considered a top player at this level. Hopefully this can be the start, but I remain to be convinced.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Just like criticising a player after one bad game, I don’t think you can make comments suggesting that Lawrence has definitely improved after one good game. After all, we’ve seen it all before with Tom - he has one good game then vanishes. Hopefully that won’t be the case this time, but he needs to show some consistent form for me to start believing he’s anything more than an average player at this level. 

For me, Lawrence hasn’t changed under any manager during his time here. He’s not got better and he’s not got worse. He’s still exactly the same inconsistent player who has one good game in 10 that he’s always been - exactly the same as the majority of widemen at this level, in fairness. He’s never been as bad as some would have you believe, but he’s never shown the consistency to be considered a top player at this level. Hopefully this can be the start, but I remain to be convinced.

To be fair, Tom has had a few better games now. The last 3-4 games he's been pretty decent. He's much less prone to running down blind alleys now and uses his team mates much more.

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I reckon we saw a completely different Tom Lawrence today though, normally i'd think the same as you. Same old Tom Lawrence, know exactly what to expect of his forward runs.

Today he was making those runs but then halting them when he knew he couldn't find the space forwards and played the safe ball into midfield, retaining possession. It wasn't a one off, he was doing this throughout the game. obviously been trained into him. Much better, mature performance from him today that I've never seen him do before.

Might be a one off but there was signs he's had one to one training on this.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

To be fair, Tom has had a few better games now. The last 3-4 games he's been pretty decent. He's much less prone to running down blind alleys now and uses his team mates much more.

Yeah, 1 good game in 10 was probably harsh. He has good runs for form, and bad runs of form. Just like most players in this division. The ones who are the cream of the crop so to speak tend to be the players who’s bad runs are only 1 or 2 games, and who’s good runs are more like 7/8 games. Lawrence has a fair amount to prove before he can be considered at that level. 

I do agree he’s been a lot less selfish though in the last few games, that has been very noticeable. At the very least that means if he’s having a bad day he won’t bring the whole team down with him. As long as he’s making the right decision on the ball more often than not then he’s doing a fair job.

Credit may well go to Cocu for showing faith in him and finding a formation that gives Tom freedom, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the Rooney effect as well  - his on pitch guidance is helping a lot of the players to make better decisions and we’re setting the benefit in the results.....

3 minutes ago, blackNwhites said:

I reckon we saw a completely different Tom Lawrence today though, normally i'd think the same as you. Same old Tom Lawrence, know exactly what to expect of his forward runs.

Today he was making those runs but then halting them when he knew he couldn't find the space forwards and played the safe ball into midfield, retaining possession. It wasn't a one off, he was doing this throughout the game. obviously been trained into him. Much better, mature performance from him today that I've never seen him do before.

Might be a one off but there was signs he's had one to one training on this.

I hope you’re right. Haven’t seen today’s game so I was just exercising caution over getting too excited by one performance more than anything. I’ll take your word for it that his performance was more mature, and that is of course a good sign. I really hope he does make that consistent improvement, but only time will tell of course!

2 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Credit may well go to Cocu for showing faith in him and finding a formation that gives Tom freedom, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the Rooney effect as well  - his on pitch guidance is helping a lot of the players to make better decisions and we’re setting the benefit in the results.....

Deffo been a positive. Look how he was geeing up the players when their second went in, he was going mad at em....it worked

He has been better for the last 2 or 3 games and seems to be working harder, but that seems to be the case for quite a few players right now. I don't know if it's just down to Cocu and his staff or whether seeing a seasoned pro like Rooney grafting alongside them has made them realise that no matter how good you think you are, you still have to graft and try to improve.

Lawrence under Rowett was superb. This may have been due to being our creative outlet. 
Under Lampard, we had Mount and Wilson as our key players, so Lawrence’s impact and importance diminished. 
Lawrence now has more freedom to express himself under Cocu. He’s having his best season since joining. More crosses, better shots, AND more effective defensive work. 

56 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

41 minutes ago, ossieram said:

He has been better for the last 2 or 3 games and seems to be working harder, but that seems to be the case for quite a few players right now. I don't know if it's just down to Cocu and his staff or whether seeing a seasoned pro like Rooney grafting alongside them has made them realise that no matter how good you think you are, you still have to graft and try to improve.

It's absolutely this for me. He's setting and leading by example. The stats definitely back this up. It was mentioned in the match thread that Jeff Stelling said that no other team has more points than us since Rooney came in. Of course it is not entirely down to him but it is a massive factor.

1470480827_Screenshot_20200208-173205_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.01517faae8ba272571b53869feed29d3.jpg

I think Lawrence is improving because of Rooney. The whole side has lifted, the work ethic has changed. Maybe a few home truths have been uttered and it's hit home.

Cocu has to take some of the credit of course, but the shift is noticeable due to the coach on the pitch reinforcing the managers message.

Long my it continue! Let's not get too excited yet...... Long way to go. There will still be some bumps in the road, but it's great to be a Rams fan again.

The lad has talent, always has.... Maybe the penny has dropped and he can go on to reach his full potential. Up the Rams..... and welll done to the team and the coaching staff today for getting that monkey of our backs. There should be no fear facing Bristol..... They aren't anything special.... No side in this division is!

Archived