Dodgy keepers

superzak

6 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Sutton was around mid-80's I thought, as we were on a downcurve (although thats over 30 years of memory destruction)? Now i was at uni 82-85 so decoupled from the rams so what (being distant and skint) so I don't recall roger jones, but i thought the order was sort of 

Sutton (as we sank into div 3)

Steele (when we were rising back out of div 3)

Wallington (when we were rising back out of div 2)

Shilts (div 1)

Taylor (early 90's by that time)

E&OE - all corrections welcome?

my old HR director from the 90s was Roger Jones - don't think he was a footballer tho.....

steve cherry as we sank into div 3

steve Sutton replaced shilton

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, rynny said:

His performance on Tuesday was not terrifying at all, neither was his performances in the first match or against Palace.

Seems to be that the issue is that he is calm on the ball and looks for a pass rather than just lumping it up field and you can't handle it. 

I know I would rather Roos pass out from the back than Davies. 

Lol! I can’t handle him being ‘calm’?? He’s f’up so many times that’s hilarious.  He’s too ‘calm’ mate. Hence that’s why he was dropped. Ignore my opinion if you like but he was dropped because of it. I’m all for playing to a system, etc but he was dropped by the manager Cos he can’t do it - I’ll happily take that your opinion differs from mine but don’t say that I can’t handle it - no-one can handle his calmness and that’s why he was dropped. 

and I’d rather Stevie Wonder passed it out the back than Davies. 

13 minutes ago, Raich Van Carter said:

Lol! I can’t handle him being ‘calm’?? He’s f’up so many times that’s hilarious.  He’s too ‘calm’ mate. Hence that’s why he was dropped. Ignore my opinion if you like but he was dropped because of it. I’m all for playing to a system, etc but he was dropped by the manager Cos he can’t do it - I’ll happily take that your opinion differs from mine but don’t say that I can’t handle it - no-one can handle his calmness and that’s why he was dropped. 

and I’d rather Stevie Wonder passed it out the back than Davies. 

His passing hasn't been the problem, it was his decision making on crosses. 

No one could handle it? Sorry didn't know you spoke for every Derby fan. 

Shilton was in goal for us away against Newcastle in the late 80s. We'd just gone up and he was imperious that afternoon.

The Geordies expected to tonk us but he kept them all at bay

After that match Arthur asked for his shirt

I was a very quiet young man in the gallowgate....

10 hours ago, rynny said:

No one could handle it? Sorry didn't know you spoke for every Derby fan. 

<sigh>Pedantry but ok - it’s appears that the majority have issues with Roos and the management do as he’s been dropped. Hope that’s clear enough. Either way, I can understand why you’d try to argue the point when he’s not playing because of it. 

We have had our fair share of great keepers I think. 

Shilton, Sutton, Taylor, Poom, Carson.....all were really good keepers.

Roos is frustrating but not terrible in my opinion. I feel that Hamer is never going to be more than mediocre whereas Roos could be really good if he could just cut the errors out. 

1 hour ago, Raich Van Carter said:

<sigh>Pedantry but ok - it’s appears that the majority have issues with Roos and the management do as he’s been dropped. Hope that’s clear enough. Either way, I can understand why you’d try to argue the point when he’s not playing because of it. 

Miss the part of my post where I give the reason why I think he has been dropped. And the same reason why most have been complaining about him, that I have seen. And also the reason Cocu gave after the Fulham game, his last league game. 

Once again it is his decision making for crosses. 

His kicking and "faffing" hasn't been an issue. 

On 05/02/2020 at 19:06, NC--RAM said:

Always thought Graham Mosley was dodgy.But that's probably due to my bias as he took the place of my hero and all time greatest Derby keeper Colin Boulton.

I rated Colin Boulton, especially for his performance in “one of those” matches against the Dirties. There was a melee in the bog that was supposed to be the penalty area and Colin reached round a Leeds player’s legs (Lorimer, I think) and held the ball. There was no contact but the Leeds player wearing all black gave a penalty. At the end of the match Colin rubbed his muddy gloves in the ref’s face and was sent off, even though the Match was over.

Top bloke! 

Just reading an interview with Joe Lolley on The Athletic. Pretty much sums up this thread.

It’s actually a decent interview for those that are subscribed and fancy a read.

https://theathletic.com/1579969/2020/02/07/joe-lolley-nottingham-forest-interview/?source=shared-article

“There’s never a balance to football, where someone says: ‘Joe hasn’t been at his best, he’s been OK.’ Instead of, basically, ‘You’re poo.’”

Lolley flips the scenario to prove his point. “It’s like Brentford [last month, which Forest won 1-0]. I’ve played much better than I played at Brentford but I scored and suddenly you’ve been brilliant.

“I worked so hard in that game. I didn’t touch the ball that much; obviously Brentford is a tough place to go in that respect. But if my shot doesn’t go in… let’s say it hits the bar and comes out and it’s nil-nil and everything else happens exactly the same, but they score a deflected goal and win 1-0. Instead of going, ‘He was brilliant’. People say, ‘He was awful.’”

16 hours ago, RamNut said:

Sutton was around mid-80's I thought, as we were on a downcurve (although thats over 30 years of memory destruction)? Now i was at uni 82-85 so decoupled from the rams so what (being distant and skint) so I don't recall roger jones, but i thought the order was sort of 

Sutton (as we sank into div 3)

Excellent goalkeeper Sutton for someone who only had one eye. 

Archived