Dodgy keepers

superzak

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roos played well and caught a couple of crosses, as he did under pressure in the away match.

We spent 85% of the game passing it out from the back, dealing with any Northampton pressing very well even when under pressure, no errors in the first half that I can remember just lots of good, composed football where we moved the ball about quickly and accurately into the midfield.

We had a 5-10 minute spell where we seemed to lose the calm heads, lost concentration a bit and gifted them a couple of opportunities, by trying to claim Roos was a problem tonight is unfair.

Kelle Roos doesn't even come close to being the worst. In the last 10 years, we've had - focusing on the more senior guys for fairness: 
Stephen Bywater
Saul Deeney
David Martin
Lewis Price
Brad Jones
Frank Fielding
Matt Duke
Brad Jones
Adam Legzdins
Lee Grant
Jack Butland
Scott Carson
Chris Weale
Ben Hamer

When we look at who we could say was better: Carson, Grant, Fielding, Bywater (although Bywater at this point was a horrid mess of a man) & Butland - the first four had runs of poor performances in a Derby shirt. Butland was on loan. Hamer is proving to be marginally better, very marginally in my opinion and the rest are definitely worse. 

Roos won't be remembered as a great when he leaves, but his record of 50 games, 55 conceded and 18 clean sheets keeps him miles off being the worst goalkeeper ever employed by this football club. We need to stop with the hyperbole. 

Even the ones I've mentioned:
Carson - 171 games, 189 conceded, 60 clean sheets. Based on 50 games, 55 conceded and 18 clean sheets.  
Fielding - 80 games, 105 conceded, 22 clean sheets. Based on 50 games, 66 conceded and 14 clean sheets.
Grant - 182 games, 239 conceded, 53 clean sheets. Based on 50 games, 66 conceded and 15 clean sheets.
Bywater - 167 games, 226 conceded, 45 clean sheets. Based on 50 games, 68 conceded and 13 clean sheets.
Butland - 6 games, 7 conceded, 2 clean sheets. Based on 50 games, 58 conceded and 17 clean sheets.
Hamer - 14 games, 18 conceded, 3 clean sheets. Based on 50 games, 64 conceded and 11 clean sheets. 

He's actually got a better record than all of them - inline with Carson - who will no doubt go down as one of the best keepers we've had at the club. It certainly doesn't fit the trend that he's the worst we've ever had anyway. I just wanted to conclusively prove the point. 

Think I counted two kicks in to touch, other than absolutely fine. Saved what he needed to, caught aerial balls.

People make up their minds and are too arrogant to change their opinions, sitting in the south stand tonight proved that. Awful abuse at times towards him and Lawrence 

You’ve been bloody lucky with the Derby goalies you’ve seen if you genuinely think Kelle Roos is the worst of them. I really can’t see how he can be remotely talked about in that vain. Sure, he’s far from the best goalie we’ve ever had, but the worst?! He’s a pretty good championship goalie when you consider the standard across the division imo, and more than good enough for where we are right now (though perhaps not good enough for where we’re hopefully going - the prem). How can a goalie at that level be considered worse than some of the poo we’ve had?! I’d even argue he’s a much better modern goalie than Hamer, so there’s already one he’s better than. But in reality, neither Hamer or Roos are amongst the worst we’ve had. That title is reserved for the likes of Roy Carroll, Saul Deeney etc.

Deeney

Carroll 

Andy Oakes 

I don't think Roos is worse than any of these at least for his time here but he certainly for my money isn't an average championship keeper. He's got a lot of weaknesses which aren't even closely covered by a few of his strengths. I'd question his ability in the league below at a top club due to his inability to deal with balls in the air.  

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Kelle Roos doesn't even come close to being the worst. In the last 10 years, we've had - focusing on the more senior guys for fairness: 
Stephen Bywater
Saul Deeney
David Martin
Lewis Price
Brad Jones
Frank Fielding
Matt Duke
Brad Jones
Adam Legzdins
Lee Grant
Jack Butland
Scott Carson
Chris Weale
Ben Hamer

When we look at who we could say was better: Carson, Grant, Fielding, Bywater (although Bywater at this point was a horrid mess of a man) & Butland - the first four had runs of poor performances in a Derby shirt. Butland was on loan. Hamer is proving to be marginally better, very marginally in my opinion and the rest are definitely worse. 

Roos won't be remembered as a great when he leaves, but his record of 50 games, 55 conceded and 18 clean sheets keeps him miles off being the worst goalkeeper ever employed by this football club. We need to stop with the hyperbole. 

Even the ones I've mentioned:
Carson - 171 games, 189 conceded, 60 clean sheets. Based on 50 games, 55 conceded and 18 clean sheets.  
Fielding - 80 games, 105 conceded, 22 clean sheets. Based on 50 games, 66 conceded and 14 clean sheets.
Grant - 182 games, 239 conceded, 53 clean sheets. Based on 50 games, 66 conceded and 15 clean sheets.
Bywater - 167 games, 226 conceded, 45 clean sheets. Based on 50 games, 68 conceded and 13 clean sheets.
Butland - 6 games, 7 conceded, 2 clean sheets. Based on 50 games, 58 conceded and 17 clean sheets.
Hamer - 14 games, 18 conceded, 3 clean sheets. Based on 50 games, 64 conceded and 11 clean sheets. 

He's actually got a better record than all of them - inline with Carson - who will no doubt go down as one of the best keepers we've had at the club. It certainly doesn't fit the trend that he's the worst we've ever had anyway. I just wanted to conclusively prove the point. 

Although, while I like the stats and they do point towards Carson being top dog.

Surely they have to include   the defence/team in front of them at the time. Shots against v goals conceded etc etc.

We all know who appears to be the best without stats, but often they are in successful teams.

7 hours ago, neil62uk said:

Not forgetting Paul Williams playing  50 mins in goal  in the 4 - 3 home defeat v Bristol City and John Gregory playing 6 mins in goal  in the 3 - 0 win at Coventry ?

I seem to remember John O'Hare playing in goal once but my mind may be playing tricks on me though as it was a very long time ago.

Archived