Dodgy keepers

superzak

Yesterday he made a great claim of the ball in line with the peno spot came out and wiped out the defender and the attacker and caught it finely. 
However that’s not really the type of cross he’s not great at coming for. It’s the ones where he can’t attack the ball and the ball is ‘put on him’ where I feel he lacks confidence. 
I do think it is a confidence thing with Roos though, I can’t remember him having an issue with crosses last season until the playoff final and since then I feel it’s always in the back of his mind. Being dropped was probably the most fair thing to do and hopefully if he does come back in the league he’ll have got over it. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, nottingram said:

Think I counted two kicks in to touch, other than absolutely fine. Saved what he needed to, caught aerial balls.

People make up their minds and are too arrogant to change their opinions, sitting in the south stand tonight proved that. Awful abuse at times towards him and Lawrence 

Funny old, world.  Totally agree Roos did nothing to warrant criticism. Couple of panicky moments with the ball at his feet but our defenders induced half of that by looking slightly ill at ease. Claimed a couple of crosses, not at fault for the goals...looked solid enough. 

Lawrence? Seen lots of praise for him. Just don't see why. Time after time he collected the ball in space and just cut inside onto his right foot and ran into traffic. Didn't beat his man, didn't really drive down the line or create anything. Lucky to be able to stay wide and have Rooney spraying the ball and Malone on one of his better days sliding the ball out to him...but still created almost zilch for me other than coming back in to congest the middle of the pitch. 

Holmes was much better, he can go either way, and makes space for others. 

5 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Funny old, world.  Totally agree Roos did nothing to warrant criticism. Couple of panicky moments with the ball at his feet but our defenders induced half of that by looking slightly ill at ease. Claimed a couple of crosses, not at fault for the goals...looked solid enough. 

Lawrence? Seen lots of praise for him. Just don't see why. Time after time he collected the ball in space and just cut inside onto his right foot and ran into traffic. Didn't beat his man, didn't really drive down the line or create anything. Lucky to be able to stay wide and have Rooney spraying the ball and Malone on one of his better days sliding the ball out to him...but still created almost zilch for me other than coming back in to congest the middle of the pitch. 

Holmes was much better, he can go either way, and makes space for others. 

Lawrence helped set up the 2nd goal with a nice lay off to Malone whilst in between 2 defenders . That would count as creating something ? 

4 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Lawrence helped set up the 2nd goal with a nice lay off to Malone whilst in between 2 defenders . That would count as creating something ? 

Yeah but if you take out the bits where he created something then he created absolutely nothing...

3 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Although, while I like the stats and they do point towards Carson being top dog.

Surely they have to include   the defence/team in front of them at the time. Shots against v goals conceded etc etc.

We all know who appears to be the best without stats, but often they are in successful teams.

You're right, the stats that get inflated with a good team in front of you are primarily goals conceded (and minutes per GC) and clean sheets.

Roos' save % is .680 - which puts him right in the middle of the 24 qualifying goalkeepers (gametime equal than or greater to 45minutes per total squad game).

Add in the unqualified keepers and Ben Hamer shows up at .651, 8 GKs behind Roos.

The range of .650 - .690 or so is the range of average championship keepers. There's plenty below that level who should be considered poor (i.e. Sluga of Luton .600), and those above it should be considered good (i.e. Sam Johnstone .734). Those examples aren't the bottom or top players, just well known ones.

If we roll the clock back to 2016-17; Carson was 4th with a .718. Although in the next season he entered the lower average group with a .669 and then dropped to the bottom of it with a .653 - so while there was an obvious decline there that was picked up by fans; he never dropped into the bottom 8 Championship goalkeepers in this category. Roos is better than Carson was in his last 2 seasons.

2 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

I seem to remember John O'Hare playing in goal once but my mind may be playing tricks on me though as it was a very long time ago.

Yes a long time ago , I guess if he did it must have been to replace Les Green or Colin Boulton ?

10 hours ago, superzak said:

we have had some rubbish between the sticks over the years...who is your worst...mine is kelle Roos by a mile

Sorry. But a pointless and I'll timed thread. Why don't we start one about our worst ever left back, right back, central defender, holding midfielder, winger, tea lady etc. 

2 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Although, while I like the stats and they do point towards Carson being top dog.

Surely they have to include   the defence/team in front of them at the time. Shots against v goals conceded etc etc.

We all know who appears to be the best without stats, but often they are in successful teams.

You are correct, of course, I was just using it to point out that it's highly unlikely that he is the worst keeper ever employed by the club. In my opinion, I felt at the time of each of them that I would put Carson, Grant, Fielding and Bywater - although more to do with his season under Davies, ahead of him. Now, Hamer too, although they're much-of-muchness for me. Roos beat out Carson for the starting job under both Lampard & Cocu, for clarity, I don't think either did it for a laugh. 

I don't think it's a problem with Roos' saving - he's actually pretty good at that I think - it's his decision making on distribution and handling crosses that's the issue.

With regard to worse keepers... I've definitely never seen one in a Derby shirt that worries me as much as Roos. Taylor made up for lack of height by being a truly exceptional shot stopper and the rest I've seen since have largely been ok but none poo me up as much as Roos. 

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I wonder if their keeper "was to blame" for not commanding the ball as it dropped to Wisdom for our opener last night!  

For a goal to the be the fault of the opposition goalkeeper in the eyes of some of our fans; a backpass has to nutmeg them. For a goal to be the fault of our goalkeeper it just has to be within 3 yards of him as it goes by.

That's not a weird Derby fan thing either; that's just the general correlation across all fans.

2 hours ago, Carnero said:

Yeah but if you take out the bits where he created something then he created absolutely nothing...

Created? You will be one of those people who give an assist to the bloke taking a throw in. 

I say  I feel he had an average game. Tons of opportunity to take on his man, didn't do it. In response a reasonable point well made by @Reggie Greenwood, that doesn't necessarily change my mind but is fair enough. 

Annoying, cheap play to the crowds response by you. Well done ?

Archived