Dodgy keepers

superzak

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Dethorn said:

Surprised you let me get away with gerrit - I am not sure that is even a real word.  I would probably put real words above punctuation,

However I thank you sincerely for pointing out my errors for me, I will take it, learn from it and endeavour to improve.

If only we had more people like you this forum would be so much more correct I am sure ?

For once, I wasn't actually correcting anything.  I was genuinely asking if you were asking the question (Do I get it?).  The answer was no, I don't get it... as in, I didn't understand a bloody word of whatever it was you was waffling on about Gandolf... but that's because I don't read books or watch many films!  ? 

16 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Once Colin Boulton and Graham Moseley were finished with, Steve Sutton was the next half decent one we had

John Middleton

Dave Mckellar

Yakka Banovic

Steve Cherry.......oooh, i need a lie down......?

There were a few more before steve Sutton? 

roger jones, Eric Steele, Mark Wallington and er.......Peter Shilton ?....and Martin Taylor.

Martin Taylor was one of the worst keepers ever, until he was replaced with a duplicate from an alternative universe and suddenly was awesome.

6 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Martin Taylor was one of the worst keepers ever, until he was replaced with a duplicate from an alternative universe and suddenly was awesome.

He just needed to get over his nerves. He had come from non-league. Another Ron Jukes find. 

Just now, RamNut said:

He just needed to get over his nerves. He had come from non-league. Another Ron Jukes find. 

Its a confidence thing isnt it with a lot of footballers. People complain that a striker should shoot first time and so on, but they do when they have confidence,  but without it they take an extra touch and so on....

Was gutted for Taylor when his leg got broken, i know he had a reasonable career after that but think he could have played at a higher level had it not happened.

On 05/02/2020 at 20:31, ram59 said:

We're quick to criticise our championship goalkeepers, but week in week out we see Premier league keepers not filling you with confidence. 

Watching spurs atm, twice Loris (champions league} has parried fairly tame shots back into play, one resulting in Southampton's tap in equaliser. 

We would be lynching a Derby keeper for that. 

Every keeper has a mistake in them but if, overall, they’re worth it then that’s fine but for me, Roos looked dodgy on EVERY cross and on EVERY backpass. It’s not a witch hunt - he’s just poo. 

10 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Was gutted for Taylor when his leg got broken, i know he had a reasonable career after that but think he could have played at a higher level had it not happened.

He was on the verge of signing for Chelsea when it happened (along with Paul Williams) and was told he was going to be in the England squad once he had. 

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

There were a few more before steve Sutton? 

roger jones, Eric Steele, Mark Wallington and er.......Peter Shilton ?....and Martin Taylor.

Sutton was around mid-80's I thought, as we were on a downcurve (although thats over 30 years of memory destruction)? Now i was at uni 82-85 so decoupled from the rams so what (being distant and skint) so I don't recall roger jones, but i thought the order was sort of 

Sutton (as we sank into div 3)

Steele (when we were rising back out of div 3)

Wallington (when we were rising back out of div 2)

Shilts (div 1)

Taylor (early 90's by that time)

E&OE - all corrections welcome?

my old HR director from the 90s was Roger Jones - don't think he was a footballer tho.....

26 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Shilton was well past his best when he came to use - Maxwell just wanted a big name.

Thinking more about this, other than Boulton and Poom, maybe Taylor, I am struggling to remember a goalkeeper that I was totally comfortable with.

Poom & Grant were solid. 

49 minutes ago, Raich Van Carter said:

Poom & Grant were solid. 

I’ve seen all the GK’s since 1970 and Poom up there with the best of them. Wouldn’t describe Grant as solid , he had a spell where he was punching them in his own net for fun when he came back from injury. Wolves and Leeds away spring to mind 

Roos is not the worst keeper we have had by a country mile. 

This topic is a reminder of just how short some memories are, you see it all the time, worst manager ever, worst performance ever, worst team ever...like we’re somehow the most suffering fans in the country being forced to watch this club 

9 minutes ago, David said:

Roos is not the worst keeper we have had by a country mile. 

This topic is a reminder of just how short some memories are, you see it all the time, worst manager ever, worst performance ever, worst team ever...like we’re somehow the most suffering fans in the country being forced to watch this club 

So who was? ? 

I very, very rarely get on a players back (and certainly never boo) but he, for me, brought it on himself with unnecessary faffing on back-passes, etc. He might be a super chap and he's obviously rated by the club so he might come through it but on his last performances, he was terrifying. 

3 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Shilton was well past his best when he came to use - Maxwell just wanted a big name.

Thinking more about this, other than Boulton and Poom, maybe Taylor, I am struggling to remember a goalkeeper that I was totally comfortable with.

Please tell me you finished early for the week and have started your weekend early in the pub?

Shilts joined in 1987 and three years later was (still) in goal for England in our run to the semi-final of Italia 90.  If that's our benchmark for crap, no wonder Kelle Roos gets a hard time.

2 hours ago, Raich Van Carter said:

So who was? ? 

I very, very rarely get on a players back (and certainly never boo) but he, for me, brought it on himself with unnecessary faffing on back-passes, etc. He might be a super chap and he's obviously rated by the club so he might come through it but on his last performances, he was terrifying. 

His performance on Tuesday was not terrifying at all, neither was his performances in the first match or against Palace.

Seems to be that the issue is that he is calm on the ball and looks for a pass rather than just lumping it up field and you can't handle it. 

I know I would rather Roos pass out from the back than Davies. 

1 hour ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Please tell me you finished early for the week and have started your weekend early in the pub?

Shilts joined in 1987 and three years later was (still) in goal for England in our run to the semi-final of Italia 90.  If that's our benchmark for crap, no wonder Kelle Roos gets a hard time.

I saw him play for that team that play in red and I saw him play for us.....he was on the wane. Please watch that semi-final at Italia 90 and the free kick that looped over his head. Roos would have caught that. OK, maybe not caught it but punched it away. He'd've got to it anyway.

BTW one game I saw at the BBG was one of my all time favourites. Shilton playing for the red dogs dropped three crosses in three minutes at the feet of our forwards. We went on to win 4-1. Oh happy days.

Archived