Our Phil's Team Selections - Why we need to get onboard

Comrade 86

Busy schedule - for Northampton do we....  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A couple of comments got me the thinking about the whole team selection issue. Even before the game finished, some folk were already on Cocu’s back over possible changes in the side against Northampton. A few were also talking about the usefulness of a player like Joe Allen and how we might solve our away game woes with a player of his ilk available. Of course the two are mutually exclusive and here’s why.

First off, duck Joe Allen, I’d take Shinniesta all day long over that poisonous dwarf. Shinnie deffo has that bit of dog about him without being the horrible little scrote that is Allen who clearly suffers from small man syndrome. But here’s the quandary; does he fit into the current side as with Wazza and Max holding slots, who would he replace? And while it might be tactically astute to have him in against passing sides like Fulham and Leeds and scrappers like the Cobblers, do you really want to be chopping and changing, especially where Wayne and Max seem to be developing some sort of psychic connection? I thought they were the absolute standouts against Stoke which is really something given how well the likes of Homeless, Lawrence, Waghorn and co played.

To further complicate matters, Phil has been roundly accused of tinkering too much, a charge I feel is somewhat unfair. For instance, I'm a massive Chris Martin fanboy myself, but I accept that with him, and therefore Cocu, needing to manage his illness, he simply can't be used at times. I really wish some of us could take this simple fact onboard. There will be days or even weeks where Chris will be feeling simply too weak to play and even yesterday when he was subbed we had a bunch on here keen to slaughter him for it. Absolutely ridiculous in my book, sorry, but that's how I feel. For me. Cocu has first set out to make us harder to beat, now we're looking to develop how we impose our game on teams. I think it's starting to work!

The same can be said for the anti-Waghorn - pro-Marriott crowd. Marriott is a non-scoring sick-note this season - those are facts not opinions. I've always been a staunch supporter of Jack but even this happyclapper extraordinaire is beginning to question his heart and his professionalism. McCarthy, Lampard and now Cocu have all either stated clearly, or hinted at a lack of willingness to train hard, consequent fitness issues and a general unwillingness to heed advice. It does my head in as when he is close to full fitness, he's razor sharp. We've all seen it, but put yourself in Cocu's shoes for a moment and ask yourself what message it sends to the team when you drop one player is on course for close to 20 goals this season and trains his heart, out for another who just can't be arsed? Sure, Waggers is frustrating at times, but for me, not half as frustrating as Jack who looks miles away from the player we saw at times last season.

With the best will in the world, if you are still going to sit there week in, week out, waiting for the poor results so you can leap on here to call Phil clueless, you really need to take a look at yourselves. Likewise team selections. We don’t know better than Phil and we never will. Sure we can have opinions, that’s what it’s all about right? But let’s not get on his back all the time, eh, as oftentimes, there will be reasons for selections or absences of which we are completely unaware. We are not going to win every game anyway. Clearly not. And given all the BS that we've endured since Frank took an absolute age to duck off out the door, completely derailing our pre-season and the summer window in the process, can you really say that you’re shocked that we've underperformed?

Seriously, if you choose to just acknowledge the games like the Stoke match rather than lurking around waiting for us to trip up again, you'll enjoy your footy more, the team will enjoy the support more and your blood pressure will drop to a point where cardiac arrest is far less likely! The fact is, despite some apparent inconsistency, we are starting to look like a team. Do we have the absolute quality required to simply play around team that harry the duck out of us? Maybe not just yet. But woe betide any team that stands off us as our passing and movement is improving rapidly as 1 defeat in out last 9 games clearly testifies.

COYR

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Play the same team, or at least start with the same team and if we get the luxury of putting game to bed around the hour mark, make substitutions to rest any we plan to play at Swansea.

I’m a believer in building momentum so with two tricky away games coming up, getting something at Swansea may bode well for the following game at Ashton Gate.

But what do I know, I talk Shiite half the time anyway.

I'd say that there's a good argument for prioritising the FA Cup over the league now. This team isn't consistent enough to make the top six. It is, however, capable of putting in the odd superb performance. Most clubs play weakened sides, so at full strength, we should be competitive. Finishing 11th but with a trip to Wembley would do a lot more for finances and morale than finishing 9th.

Gone with the majority and plumped for the second option. I think, in hindsight, we probably should have played the full team in the first leg to hopefully ensure progression without a replay. Easy to say now though, and I don’t think too many of us were that annoyed at the time. Now though, we’ve got a really really busy schedule coming up, and you don’t want to be having tired legs out there. As such, I’d be looking at resting some in the upcoming midweek match probably regardless of it being a cup game. We’ve gotta get the balance right though and not disrespect Northampton - because that’s how we’ll get beat. For me, it’s change out the players who struggle most with fitness, but leave the core of the team as it is.

31 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Play the same team, or at least start with the same team and if we get the luxury of putting game to bed around the hour mark, make substitutions to rest any we plan to play at Swansea.

I’m a believer in building momentum so with two tricky away games coming up, getting something at Swansea may bode well for the following game at Ashton Gate.

But what do I know, I talk Shiite half the time anyway.

only half? ?

I think some of the fringe players will be very disappointed if they don't get game time against Northampton.

I would also be keen to let them put right the result at their place.

Motivation won't be a problem as they will be playing for a place in the team to face Manchester United.

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

I'd say that there's a good argument for prioritising the FA Cup over the league now. This team isn't consistent enough to make the top six. It is, however, capable of putting in the odd superb performance. Most clubs play weakened sides, so at full strength, we should be competitive. Finishing 11th but with a trip to Wembley would do a lot more for finances and morale than finishing 9th.

I don’t think anyone is seriously considering the play offs as remotely achievable but, the league has to be a priority. Get enough points in the bag in case of a points deduction.

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

A couple of comments got me the thinking about the whole team selection issue. Even before the game finished, some folk were already on Cocu’s back over possible changes in the side against Northampton. A few were also talking about the usefulness of a player like Joe Allen and how we might solve our away game woes with a player of his ilk available. Of course the two are mutually exclusive and here’s why.

First off, duck Joe Allen, I’d take Shinniesta all day long over that poisonous dwarf. Shinnie deffo has that bit of dog about him without being the horrible little scrote that is Allen who clearly suffers from small man syndrome. But here’s the quandary; does he fit into the current side as with Wazza and Max holding slots, who would he replace? And while it might be tactically astute to have him in against passing sides like Fulham and Leeds and scrappers like the Cobblers, do you really want to be chopping and changing, especially where Wayne and Max seem to be developing some sort of psychic connection? I thought they were the absolute standouts against Stoke which is really something given how well the likes of Homeless, Lawrence, Waghorn and co played.

To further complicate matters, Phil has been roundly accused of tinkering too much, a charge I feel is somewhat unfair. For instance, I'm a massive Chris Martin fanboy myself, but I accept that with him, and therefore Cocu, needing to manage his illness, he simply can't be used at times. I really wish some of us could take this simple fact onboard. There will be days or even weeks where Chris will be feeling simply too weak to play and even yesterday when he was subbed we had a bunch on here keen to slaughter him for it. Absolutely ridiculous in my book, sorry, but that's how I feel. For me. Cocu has first set out to make us harder to beat, now we're looking to develop how we impose our game on teams. I think it's starting to work!

The same can be said for the anti-Waghorn - pro-Marriott crowd. Marriott is a non-scoring sick-note this season - those are facts not opinions. I've always been a staunch supporter of Jack but even this happyclapper extraordinaire is beginning to question his heart and his professionalism. McCarthy, Lampard and now Cocu have all either stated clearly, or hinted at a lack of willingness to train hard, consequent fitness issues and a general unwillingness to heed advice. It does my head in as when he is close to full fitness, he's razor sharp. We've all seen it, but put yourself in Cocu's shoes for a moment and ask yourself what message it sends to the team when you drop one player is on course for close to 20 goals this season and trains his heart, out for another who just can't be arsed? Sure, Waggers is frustrating at times, but for me, not half as frustrating as Jack who looks miles away from the player we saw at times last season.

With the best will in the world, if you are still going to sit there week in, week out, waiting for the poor results so you can leap on here to call Phil clueless, you really need to take a look at yourselves. Likewise team selections. We don’t know better than Phil and we never will. Sure we can have opinions, that’s what it’s all about right? But let’s not get on his back all the time, eh, as oftentimes, there will be reasons for selections or absences of which we are completely unaware. We are not going to win every game anyway. Clearly not. And given all the BS that we've endured since Frank took an absolute age to duck off out the door, completely derailing our pre-season and the summer window in the process, can you really say that you’re shocked that we've underperformed?

Seriously, if you choose to just acknowledge the games like the Stoke match rather than lurking around waiting for us to trip up again, you'll enjoy your footy more, the team will enjoy the support more and your blood pressure will drop to a point where cardiac arrest is far less likely! The fact is, despite some apparent inconsistency, we are starting to look like a team. Do we have the absolute quality required to simply play around team that harry the duck out of us? Maybe not just yet. But woe betide any team that stands off us as our passing and movement is improving rapidly as 1 defeat in out last 9 games clearly testifies.

COYR

With you on the Martin point. He had a good first half and put a decent shift in but you saw him drop off rapidly in the 5 mins before he came off. I wonder if this was due to his fitness/health as he was making some very un-martinesque mistakes and he seemed to be running in treacle (more than usual) and Cocu needed to get him off to protect him.

This builds into your wider point, there could be a few things going on in the background that affects team selection that fans are unaware of........yet so many are up in arms over the decisions.

2 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

COYR

See my post in another Chris Martin thread with regards to CM medical condition

You won’t convince those who reserve their right to moan and those who believe that, despite his international caps and club football honours, they still know better than Cocu. A bloke behind me was challenged by someone pre kick off on Friday. ‘Get behind the team, mate’ she said, and I wish he would as his moaning really gets me down, but all he said was ‘rubbish me duck, they’re bloody rubbish’.  He just loves his 90 minutes of moaning, probably his missus gets a more peaceful life because of it. 

Who would be Cocu - unless we win he is on a hiding to nothing from far too many on here (and in the crowd). It is a must win match obviously because of the chance to ‘welcome’ Manure in the next round, but this should normally be a game to allow a few to stake their claim to a position over the coming weeks - Knight, Shinnie, Marriott and perhaps Sibley (or Huddlestone if fit) have good cases for being given a chance against Northampton. Not sure beating Stoke 4-0 has actually done him any favours.

Archived