Our Phil's Team Selections - Why we need to get onboard

Comrade 86

Busy schedule - for Northampton do we....  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Change it.

he seems to have settled on a first team line up. Bird and Rooney have displaced bielik and shinnie. Waghorn, Holmes, Lawrence and Martin seem to be first choice. The back four seems to pick itself.

therefore I’m expecting Roos, Davies, shinnie, knight, Marriott, and possibly Malone To start. It looked as if Rooney was withdrawn early in order to play. Only five players left to pick. RB, CB, DM, CM, LM. Shinnie will get one spot. If huddz is fit he will probably get another. The rest will be chosen from Cocu’s random number generator. 

4 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

You won’t convince those who reserve their right to moan and those who believe that, despite his international caps and club football honours, they still know better than Cocu. A bloke behind me was challenged by someone pre kick off on Friday. ‘Get behind the team, mate’ she said, and I wish he would as his moaning really gets me down, but all he said was ‘rubbish me duck, they’re bloody rubbish’.  He just loves his 90 minutes of moaning, probably his missus gets a more peaceful life because of it. 

Believe it or not, possession of international caps and stellar career do not necessarily produce good managers - there is a long list of failures.

For Cocu and Derby it is too soon to tell how it will turn out. But you get it seriously wrong when you assume that anyone criticising Cocu thinks they know better than him . They are merely saying what they think . Always have done and always will - listen to any football phone in if you can stand it (I can't). Your attitude is merely patronising - you are attempting to control the views of those you disagree with. No comment about in-match moaners, as where I sat they are few and far between.

33 minutes ago, Rampage said:

We need to beat the cobblers, get hammered by Man Utd and lurch unpredictably to a seventh place finish, innit.

I'm thinking we scrape past the Cobblers on pens, smash United but end up losing 4-3 to Liverpool in the final. All of a sudden, we're every other fans' second favourite club. Meanwhile, we storm into the playoffs beating Forest 6-0 on aggregate before snatching a last minute winner having been 3 nil down against the twirling scarf, whining gits that are Leeds. They cry a lot and Bielsa kicks his bucket so hard he crunches a vertebrae and immediately retires taking his powerpoint presentations and binoculars with him. Leeds are promptly relegated the following season. A Chinese trillionaire, who also happens to be a lifelong Rams fan, is so inspired by our achievements that he then plonks £1 billion into Derby and we qualify for the CL in our first season back in the Prem with Mbappe scoring 40 for us. Mel grins and ickle Stevie Gibson is left so disgusted that he sells Boro for 2p and lives out his days as a hermit on a remote Hebridean island while muttering something indistinguishable about FFP to himself, over and over and over again.

Quote me, bookmark me @me...

6 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Gone with the majority and plumped for the second option. I think, in hindsight, we probably should have played the full team in the first leg to hopefully ensure progression without a replay. Easy to say now though, and I don’t think too many of us were that annoyed at the time. Now though, we’ve got a really really busy schedule coming up, and you don’t want to be having tired legs out there. As such, I’d be looking at resting some in the upcoming midweek match probably regardless of it being a cup game. We’ve gotta get the balance right though and not disrespect Northampton - because that’s how we’ll get beat. For me, it’s change out the players who struggle most with fitness, but leave the core of the team as it is.

I think he did pick the right team defensively against Northampton - we survived a barrage  - a couple of the young ones were a bit lost in it but they will learn from it 

Completely agree with 86. The reality is we have a pretty large squad still with established pros who need a game & a number of youngsters we want to integrate into the team. I don't see any way of achieving that other than using some form of rotation, especially for Cup matches. We saw no dissent on this when we beat Palace away but for some reason, it was a massive issue for Northampton.

Personally I took Northampton to be a really worthwhile exercise. All 3 of our midfield starlets started & got a tough lesson about how physical teams play long ball on terrible pitches with compliant referees. As they inevitably improve, they'll be getting the same treatment from sides in the Championship too, so better to introduce them to it now. In addition, Forsyth made his first start since being dropped from the side after Wigan away - his confidence was clearly shattered by Christmas but he played his part in keeping a clean sheet & 7 days later, returns to the league XI to deliver a fantastic performance at LB to batter Stoke.

As to folk who lurk waiting for the bad results to happen - clearly there are some on here who have made their mind up about Cocu & refuse to give him credit for the upturn in form. Hence the hysterical posts when we lose a game & remarks about him not knowing his best team or making constant changes for the sake of it. The reality is we have improved significantly in the past few weeks & look set to have a strong end to the season, which bodes well for 2020/21.

44 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Believe it or not, possession of international caps and stellar career do not necessarily produce good managers - there is a long list of failures.

For Cocu and Derby it is too soon to tell how it will turn out. But you get it seriously wrong when you assume that anyone criticising Cocu thinks they know better than him . They are merely saying what they think . Always have done and always will - listen to any football phone in if you can stand it (I can't). Your attitude is merely patronising - you are attempting to control the views of those you disagree with. No comment about in-match moaners, as where I sat they are few and far between.

Cocu has already proved he's a good manager - he's won 3 Eredivise titles. Even if retired now, he would be very high on a list of international class ex-players who turned to management.

I also think @Ewe Ram is talking about the kind of negative, destructive 'support' at the games that some of our fans seem to laughably think will magically improve the team. I don't think anyone has an issue with people criticising the team or Cocu away from games - so long as there's some perspective & fairness in their points.

I think he should tinker less in the league and show the courage to play away like we do at home.. Let the opposition worry about us for a change.. 

Would certainly make a few changes for Tuesday to rest those that need it as still loads to play for in the league as well. 

Play the same side. More pitch time together.

And just battle to get as far as possible in the FA Cup. The League is kind of going to fizzle out in terms big games now. But with Man United waiting it's the way to get big games and exciting vibes into our season. 

Think it's the perfect time to throw the young guns into the deep end in a must win game playing alongside more experienced players.

The whole team needs to be utilized, everyone needs to be as fit as possible, which increases options on match day.

1 hour ago, DRBee said:

What? I don’t get how I’m trying to control anyone’s views. I just wish he’d not give it full volume every bloody game. It seriously spoils the enjoyment for those around him, not just me obviously because someone along the roe tackled him about it. He’s not the only one either. 
Why has the way Cocu turns out come into it? All we can go is have opinions on what happens day by day 

50 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Cocu has already proved he's a good manager - he's won 3 Eredivise titles. Even if retired now, he would be very high on a list of international class ex-players who turned to management.

I also think @Ewe Ram is talking about the kind of negative, destructive 'support' at the games that some of our fans seem to laughably think will magically improve the team. I don't think anyone has an issue with people criticising the team or Cocu away from games - so long as there's some perspective & fairness in their points.

Thank you, you put it better than me. Calling me patronising is a bit off. 

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I'm thinking we scrape past the Cobblers on pens, smash United but end up losing 4-3 to Liverpool in the final. All of a sudden, we're every other fans' second favourite club. Meanwhile, we storm into the playoffs beating Forest 6-0 on aggregate before snatching a last minute winner having been 3 nil down against the twirling scarf, whining gits that are Leeds. They cry a lot and Bielsa kicks his bucket so hard he crunches a vertebrae and immediately retires taking his powerpoint presentations and binoculars with him. Leeds are promptly relegated the following season. A Chinese trillionaire, who also happens to be a lifelong Rams fan, is so inspired by our achievements that he then plonks £1 billion into Derby and we qualify for the CL in our first season back in the Prem with Mbappe scoring 40 for us. Mel grins and ickle Stevie Gibson is left so disgusted that he sells Boro for 2p and lives out his days as a hermit on a remote Hebridean island while muttering something indistinguishable about FFP to himself, over and over and over again.

Quote me, bookmark me @me...

That's absurdly ridiculous, if you don't mind me saying!

A broken toe, maybe... but a vertebrae?  Really?  

6 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

You won’t convince those who reserve their right to moan and those who believe that, despite his international caps and club football honours, they still know better than Cocu. A bloke behind me was challenged by someone pre kick off on Friday. ‘Get behind the team, mate’ she said, and I wish he would as his moaning really gets me down, but all he said was ‘rubbish me duck, they’re bloody rubbish’.  He just loves his 90 minutes of moaning, probably his missus gets a more peaceful life because of it. 

I’m sure some do actually go to games, just as an outlet to have a bloody good moan. Only way it makes any sense.

Cocu and Mel have publicly outlined the target - for 50% of the starting 1st xi to be from/via the academy.  I think next season was the aim. At the moment Bird, Bogle, Knight and Lowe are reasonably regular 1st team players and Roos a regular on the bench.  Whitaker and Sibley are close and probably the next ones coming through (though on early season evidence Buchanan also looked as if he could step up) but both need first team, competitive games to learn and experience and for the club to decide whether they will make it, and playing them both in league matches from the start is a risk. The Cup is different

I presume that Lowe will be suspended so my guess is that Roos, Whitaker and Sibley to play, plus Knight having missed the Stoke game, with Malone instead of Fozzy and Davies and Clarke in the centre with Andre at right back; Rooney, Sibley and Knight in the middle and Waghorn, Marriott and Whitaker in some order up front. And a strong bench.

Archived