What is our best side ?

Sparkle

41 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

When you see the goals Chrissy has scored this season and the ones Jack scored last it makes me weep to think Cocu can't get them playing well together, he doesn't seem to want to either.

It is strange, it’s a cracking header from Martin If we need to get going up top Martin must play 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Derbyram1 said:

People suggesting above that Martin & Marriott as a 2 up top is our best option, this is the same team that created ZERO against league 2 Northampton.

Unfortunately in this league we need width, a 41212 diamond won't work as our fullbacks aren't good enough to offer both defence and attack for 90 mins.

I also get the Marriott love in but his goals to chances ratio this year must be up there with the worst in the league.

Against Northampton we continually lumped the ball up to jack. He had a huge centreback next to him. When he did beat him he was hauled down. There was no other creativity for him. It’s what we do when jacks up front and then blame him cos he’s not 6 4” 

in the second half Martin did slip a few through balls in but unfortunately jack was on the bench then!!

4 minutes ago, minesahartington said:

Against Northampton we continually lumped the ball up to jack. He had a huge centreback next to him. When he did beat him he was hauled down. There was no other creativity for him. It’s what we do when jacks up front and then blame him cos he’s not 6 4” 

in the second half Martin did slip a few through balls in but unfortunately jack was on the bench then!!

Problem is most central defenders in this league are big units so Jack will never be able to play on his own and as suggested we play Martin next to him we lose our width.....i really don't know what the answer is.

30 minutes ago, minesahartington said:

...in the second half Martin did slip a few through balls in but unfortunately jack was on the bench then!!

When was the 'sending off' event? 1st half Martin played Jack through only for him to be hauled down ...

2 hours ago, Squid said:

Hamer

Bogle   Wisdom   Clarke   Lowe

Bielik

Knight   Holmes

Rooney

Marriott   Martin

Need 2 new centre forwards

This would be my choice, although it is a tough call between Holmes and Shinnie. In the absence of Bielik I would have either Huddlestone or Bird depending on the physicality or otherwise of the opposition.

1 hour ago, Derbyram1 said:

He wasn't though was he.

Drifted out wide on occasion but i am sure that wasn't Cocu's plan.

I was there and it seemed clear that every kick from Hamer was at the right back of Northampton and away from the centre half’s  ( most went straight out of play )

50 minutes ago, Derbyram1 said:

Problem is most central defenders in this league are big units so Jack will never be able to play on his own and as suggested we play Martin next to him we lose our width.....i really don't know what the answer is.

The only width I have seen this season were a few brief appearances from Bennett but other than that any crosses have been very variable from full backs 

16 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

This would be my choice, although it is a tough call between Holmes and Shinnie. In the absence of Bielik I would have either Huddlestone or Bird depending on the physicality or otherwise of the opposition.

forgot about shinniesta to be honest 

Roos

Bogle Davies Clarke Lowe

Bielik Shinnie

Holmes Rooney Lawrence 

Martin

Thats a team in the style of the one that saw us play our best football imo, around the Preston/ Luton games at home. But a “best team” is quite a difficult thing to nail down, it all depends on the way we’re setting up etc. A different formation to that would involve different players. Personally I’m not hugely bothered that we keep making changes to the team, because by and large they’ve been justified by the form of players taken out. No point keeping someone in the side if they’re playing poo, just because they should be the best on paper. In an ideal world we play well enough every week to keep much the same team week in, week out, but we’re a long way from that ideal world at the moment, so the “tinkering” is justified.

8 hours ago, Sparkle said:

It’s the end of January and we simply don’t know our best side do we - what’s yours?

for me 

Roos

wisdom Davies Clarke Lowe

Huddlestone    

Knight.       shinnie 

Rooney 

Marriott Martin 

we have to be able to defend properly we have to be able to pass to each other and we have to be able to compete and control the football whilst actually carrying a threat to the opposition - some may say I am being tough on not starting Holmes but we simply never get hardly any results away since he has been starting in central midfield for the passed year. And waghorn is no centre forward whilst Lawrence just weakens everything 

Problem is Cocu doesn’t know our best side 

Archived