What is our best side ?

Sparkle

It’s the end of January and we simply don’t know our best side do we - what’s yours?

for me 

Roos

wisdom Davies Clarke Lowe

Huddlestone    

Knight.       shinnie 

Rooney 

Marriott Martin 

we have to be able to defend properly we have to be able to pass to each other and we have to be able to compete and control the football whilst actually carrying a threat to the opposition - some may say I am being tough on not starting Holmes but we simply never get hardly any results away since he has been starting in central midfield for the passed year. And waghorn is no centre forward whilst Lawrence just weakens everything 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I note everyone has Rooney in their team but haven't seen much evidence for that. 

He is very immobile and that puts extra pressure on those around him. 

When Luton broke last night, he was nowhere to be seen. 

A home player. Not necessarily an away pick. 

People suggesting above that Martin & Marriott as a 2 up top is our best option, this is the same team that created ZERO against league 2 Northampton.

Unfortunately in this league we need width, a 41212 diamond won't work as our fullbacks aren't good enough to offer both defence and attack for 90 mins.

I also get the Marriott love in but his goals to chances ratio this year must be up there with the worst in the league.

10 minutes ago, Derbyram1 said:

People suggesting above that Martin & Marriott as a 2 up top is our best option, this is the same team that created ZERO against league 2 Northampton.

Unfortunately in this league we need width, a 41212 diamond won't work as our fullbacks aren't good enough to offer both defence and attack for 90 mins.

I also get the Marriott love in but his goals to chances ratio this year must be up there with the worst in the league.

What's the alternative? Waghorn's first touch is really bad. I can see why Cocu uses him up front on his own but I can't see why anyone would enjoy it. 

It's like the width, we have no wingers. And what we do have out there forever play inside to get close to Waghorn so the full backs can bomb on. Sound theory but it doesn't work. 

What Cocu seems to like is DM dropping back, splitting the CB's and then the full backs pushing up as the wingers make room. But it just doesn't work when the target man has a terrible first touch or the team can utilise the tactic because nobody can pick out a decent pass. 

We do the first bit but as soon as it comes to playing into the front players it bounces straight back. 

Hence why I think a lot of criticism has been aimed at the front players. They lose the ball hopelessly over and over again.

It's either Cocu's tactic to have no width or it's the front ends lack of talent that doesn't utilise the overlapping fullback

I agree we need genuine width and pace to be able to play behind teams. But I don't see it coming with this current Derby set up/squad

16 minutes ago, Derbyram1 said:

Why?? Martin maybe but has Jack really been all that?

Both of them need time on the pitch, even Rooney needs that (and gets it). Cocu wants to play a style not necessarily get the best out of the current squad. Don't know what the style is mind, but there must be one else how come Shinnie didn't get a look in until he 'learnt' the Cocu Way?

24 minutes ago, Topram said:

Martin and Marriott have to be in it

When you see the goals Chrissy has scored this season and the ones Jack scored last it makes me weep to think Cocu can't get them playing well together, he doesn't seem to want to either.

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

It’s the end of January and we simply don’t know our best side do we - what’s yours?

for me 

Roos

wisdom Davies Clarke Lowe

Huddlestone    

Knight.       shinnie 

Rooney 

Marriott Martin 

we have to be able to defend properly we have to be able to pass to each other and we have to be able to compete and control the football whilst actually carrying a threat to the opposition - some may say I am being tough on not starting Holmes but we simply never get hardly any results away since he has been starting in central midfield for the passed year. And waghorn is no centre forward whilst Lawrence just weakens everything 

This is pretty much it for me, but with a couple of tweeks

Hamer

Bogle    Wisdom  Clarke  Lowe

Huddlestone    

Shinnie       Holmes 

Rooney 

Marriott Martin 

Tough on the young lads, keep em in and around the first team. but you don't really want to burn them out.

Still can't figure out why Cocu strayed from this formation.  Or why he feels the need to conform to how the opposition plays, let them worry about us, especially at home to inferior sides.

Honestly don't know our best team which is shocking considering we are nearly in February.

So far this season we have tried 442/4411/4231/433/352/41212....i am sure there are others but as yet we don't know what suits us best.

The post asks what is our best team but i am struggling to name our best 5 a side team let alone 11.

36 minutes ago, Derbyram1 said:

You did notice that Martin was deployed as a left winger most of the game??

1 minute ago, ramsbottom said:

This is pretty much it for me, but with a couple of tweeks

Hamer

Bogle    Wisdom  Clarke  Lowe

Huddlestone    

Shinnie       Holmes 

Rooney 

Marriott Martin 

Tough on the young lads, keep em in and around the first team. but you don't really want to burn them out.

Still can't figure out why Cocu strayed from this formation.  Or why he feels the need to conform to how the opposition plays, let them worry about us, especially at home to inferior sides.

Most would go with this but Shinnie has not played enough to say he's in our best 11 and Huddlestone doesn't offer enough defensivley to play that position on his own.

Rooney hasn't been played as a no.10 as yet and Marriott has missed twice as many chances as he has scored.

Also that team created nothing against Northampton.

Oh and Knight needs to play.

From the players fit enough to play?

Hamer
Bogle  Wisdom  Davies  Lowe
      Holmes  Bird  Shinnie
Waghorn  Martin  Lawrence

Bielik would be in for Bird if not injured. None of our CBs are the complete package (either poor in the air or lack pace to deal with balls in behind) but I'd go with Evans for Davies. Rooney in for Shinnie/Holmes if he's still building up his fitness.

14 minutes ago, Derbyram1 said:

He wasn't though was he.

Drifted out wide on occasion but i am sure that wasn't Cocu's plan.

Every goal kick he was hugging their touchline.  Not exactly going to link up well with him all the way out there.  Whether that's by design or not, Cocu should've sorted it.  But hey what do we know.

I get the feeling he's waiting for something to click, like the rest of us.  Just wish he give one way of playing more than a couple of games...

Roos

Wisdom Davies Clarke

Bogle         Bielik/Shinnie         Lowe

Rooney

Knight     Lawrence

Marriott

Archived