What is our best side ?

Sparkle

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RAMSINCE1969 said:

I did read somewhere that our home performances are in the top 4 in the league, the away performances in the bottom 4 , the same squad play home and away , if we had only played home games all season we would have been happy with the team , possibly in the top 6 

Possibly? ? 

Liked it when Bogle was pushed up to right wing, he can cross, run at defenders and he can shoot. So will Cocu play him there again, put Wisdom at right back. For me its Hamer in goal, Davies/Clarke centre backs, Wisdom rightback, Lowe leftback, Bird CDM, Holmes/Rooney centre midfielders, Bogle right wing, Waghorn left wing with Martin up front. On the bench Roos, Shinnie, Forsyth, Knight, Lawrence, Marriott, Sibley. Not included Huddlestone, Bielik, Malone, Whittaker, Buchanan, Evans, Jozefzoon or Hepburn-Murphy for various reasons, either passed their best, not good enough, not shown enough or injured.

It’s hard to pick a best 11.

lots of central midfielders, no wingers, no room for two strikers, but a back four that just about picks itself at the moment.

We are what we are.
A bit of a muddle that can thrash stoke at home but can’t seem to win away.

18 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Liked it when Bogle was pushed up to right wing, he can cross, run at defenders and he can shoot. So will Cocu play him there again, put Wisdom at right back. For me its Hamer in goal, Davies/Clarke centre backs, Wisdom rightback, Lowe leftback, Bird CDM, Holmes/Rooney centre midfielders, Bogle right wing, Waghorn left wing with Martin up front. On the bench Roos, Shinnie, Forsyth, Knight, Lawrence, Marriott, Sibley. Not included Huddlestone, Bielik, Malone, Whittaker, Buchanan, Evans, Jozefzoon or Hepburn-Murphy for various reasons, either passed their best, not good enough, not shown enough or injured.

The problem with that is that it would take away our biggest threat we had on Friday night, which was Waghorn & Lawrence cutting in there from the wings to occupy their two centre mids and centre halves.  It freed up pace for the fullbacks, Rooney & Holmes to do the damage they did.  As I've said on other threads I'd go with the same team for 5 straight fixtures now, as the balance seemed just about perfect...

On 30/01/2020 at 00:22, Rampant said:

-----------------------------------------Roos-------------------------------------

Bogle-------------------Wisdom-----------------Clarke--------------------Lowe

----------------------------------------Bielik--------------------------------------

-----------------Holmes--------------Knight--------------Shinnie---------------

----------------------------------------Rooney-----------------------------------

----------------------------------------Martin------------------------------------

That’s lovely and neat.

you ought to get a sewing machine. ?

It’s seems fairly basic but when we have had people in the team who can control the football under pressure and pass it effectively we are significantly better and results have been significantly better as well and for me that has been a combination of Rooney Martin and Huddlestone on the pitch.

This is such a difficult question, because I don't think we're good enough to trot out the same XI and it be effective against everyone.

I do think the back 5 are settled now as Hamer, Bogle, Wisdom, Clarke and Lowe. Malone is a long long way from this, too.

I think Bird and Rooney should be the central midfield, and Holmes has to play. From there, it kind of depends what formation we employ. Despite what people seem to think, Lawrence has to be in the team. Then it could be Martin or Marriott up front, because Waghorn can't play up there how we're using him at all. Knight or Waghorn on one side - and that's to shoe horn Knight in because I feel he's earnt that, despite it not being his likely best position as he matures.

We still desperately lack pace throughout the team other than the Fullbacks and Holmes, so that certainly needs to be a huge priority in the summer.

*Not including Bielik as he's dead right now.

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

It’s seems fairly basic but when we have had people in the team who can control the football under pressure and pass it effectively we are significantly better and results have been significantly better as well and for me that has been a combination of Rooney Martin and Huddlestone on the pitch.

Rooney Martin and Huddlestone on the pitch or Rooney Martin and Bird - But totally agree in principle, 

which is what we had against Stoke - I think it was key and Higginbottom actually said it just after I thought it (or was it the other way around ?) but Bird and Rooney's keep ball dragged the Clucas and Allen on to them exposing their back 4

Archived