We need to back Cocu

MackworthRamIsGod

13 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Do you know who is to blame for lack of signings then?

The point is he's not off to a good start, we're struggling to play football, to pull away from relegation, to score goals, to win away from home, to pick a 'best 11', to play a certain way... ?

. . . to have a shot on target, to pass the ball to a team mate with pace, to pick up and mark an opposition player when defending a corner, . . . 

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

. . . to have a shot on target, to pass the ball to a team mate with pace, to pick up and mark an opposition player when defending a corner, . . . 

The first one I can accept would be down to style of play, at times.

The other two are absolutely not Cocu’s fault. A player doesn’t or at least absolutely shouldn’t need a manager telling them how to pass a ball five yards or to actually do their jobs at set pieces.

7 minutes ago, nottingram said:

The other two are absolutely not Cocu’s fault. A player doesn’t or at least absolutely shouldn’t need a manager telling them how to pass a ball five yards or to actually do their jobs at set pieces.

...but the collective failure of the team to do the basics is the job of the manager to sort out and when it recurs is a big indicator of a group psychology that is not inspired/motivated/enthused by the manager. That’s the point. 

5 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

...but the collective failure of the team to do the basics is the job of the manager to sort out and when it recurs is a big indicator of a group psychology that is not inspired/motivated/enthused by the manager. That’s the point. 

If a player needs to be motivated sufficiently to complete a 5 yard pass or not lose their man from a corner then they are not deserving of their place in a Championship squad

Personally very in the "worried and underwhelmed" camp with Cocu so far. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt at the moment due to the (well documented) challenges around the club. 

Even so – based on the current evidence – I'd class him as an expensive, foreign Nigel Clough (minus the ability to buy a gem from Scotland). 

I know he's not had much time. I know he's barely signed anyone. Just not seeing much to suggest he really "gets" the Championship, or that he can get the best out of the players at his disposal. On the bright side – I'm glad he's taking youth more seriously. 

25 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Am sorry, vehemently disagree with your last paragraph. It IS down to the manager to coach, train, organise, arrange practice drills for his players. 

Note that I've deliberately depersonalised that statement so I don't get a vendetta against me for having the temerity to criticise Cocu. 

15 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Am sorry, vehemently disagree with your last paragraph. It IS down to the manager to coach, train, organise, arrange practice drills for his players. 

Note that I've deliberately depersonalised that statement so I don't get a vendetta against me for having the temerity to criticise Cocu. 

Of course it is, I agree

But any professional footballer should be capable of playing a simple pass to their teammate without the need to be coached.

We can’t just absolve the players of any responsibility when they step on the field. There are still basics they should be able to complete regardless of their coaching. Two of those, in my opinion, are being able to make simple passes, and stopping your man having a free header from a set piece

15 hours ago, S8TY said:

Would you employ Alan Titchmarsh for your mansion's garden Roy and give him a plastic bucket and spade ??

Or give him the tools to do a good job......think about it Roy old bean....think about it 

I'd hope he'd bring his own tools with the fee he's charging.

48 minutes ago, nottingram said:

If a player needs to be motivated sufficiently to complete a 5 yard pass or not lose their man from a corner then they are not deserving of their place in a Championship squad

You speak as though completing a pass is an isolated task  - it isn't as many other factors might be involved ( when, where, to whom, how quick , whether to take a risk) . That's where coaching and team tactics intrude and are where Cocu has some responsibility.

There has been a lot of mention on here on how the play of the team , with mostly the same players, changed on the arrival of Steve Mac 1 . Coaches affect the way players play  - and get paid a lot of money for attemtping to be successful in this.

23 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

We seem to change our managers (sometimes through no fault of our own) more often than most clubs change the style of their shirts.

There could be a clue in there why we are where we are.

Where we are? Not finished below 9th since Clough Jnr.

Things concern me like his pre match conferences.. He says what the reporter wants to hear then you watch the game and none of that happens.. Like Northampton talked about physicality directness aerial threat.. And how they had planned for it all week yet nothing on the pitch suggested they had any strategy to counter it whatsoever.. He talks about importance of set piece defending yet players don't seem to know their role or position.. And we concede time and time again with no apparent corrections.. 

13 minutes ago, Yani P said:

Things concern me like his pre match conferences.. He says what the reporter wants to hear then you watch the game and none of that happens.. Like Northampton talked about physicality directness aerial threat.. And how they had planned for it all week yet nothing on the pitch suggested they had any strategy to counter it whatsoever.. He talks about importance of set piece defending yet players don't seem to know their role or position.. And we concede time and time again with no apparent corrections.. 

So players not doing the basics eh??? So let’s change some of them as Cocu has said some just don’t carry out what they’ve been told ...oh no ...we haven’t brought any new players in so he’s stuck with what he’s got ...players who are either not good enough or just don’t do what they’ve been told 

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

No, just been sitting on the bench, how's he to get fit? How does he get in lots of fans 'best team' then.

He’s just returned from injury Roy ...I haven’t seen enough of him over a long period to judge too much at the moment ..Franks signing I believe 

Archived