We need to back Cocu

MackworthRamIsGod

I can see what he is trying to achieve, it isn't quite working at the minute but it will come good.

We were unlucky tonight, Luton will surge up the table after that result tonight.

Have faith Rams fans, the playoff are not over.

This result is not Cocu or the players fault, it is solely my responsibility. I have paid to watch 3 games on Rams TV and lost every time, all perfectly winnable games. Completely my fault, wont happen again I promise.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I can see what he is trying to achieve, it isn't quite working at the minute but it will come good.

We were unlucky tonight, Luton will surge up the table after that result tonight.

This result is not Cocu or the players fault, it is solely my responsibility. I have paid to watch 3 games on Rams TV and lost every time, all perfectly winnable games. Completely my fault, wont happen again I promise.

List your top 3 league performances this season that make you think Cocu promotes exciting attacking football. He's had 29 games, you'll have loads to choose from... 

1 minute ago, Nick_Ram said:

List your top 3 league performances this season that make you think Cocu promotes exciting attacking football. He's had 29 games, you'll have loads to choose from... 

Oh yes, because he's got a plethora of top quality attacking players at his disposal doesn't he? He's using an absolute pile of poo squad, and doing the best he can with them. 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Oh yes, because he's got a plethora of top quality attacking players at his disposal doesn't he? He's using an absolute pile of poo squad, and doing the best he can with them. 

Rooney, Marriott, Martin...not to shabby and I’m sure most championship managers wouldn’t mind them. But why bother when you can play Waghorn up top on his own. 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

His best isn't good enough then.

Player for player, we're not as bad as the league makes out. How many Luton players would get into the Derby team? And you could apply this to a lot of teams in the league. 

1 minute ago, TexasRam said:

Rooney, Marriott, Martin...not to shabby and I’m sure most championship managers wouldn’t mind them. But why bother when you can play Waghorn up top on his own. 

Marriott who's never fit, Martin who has an illness and is generally better in home games, and Rooney who's not a striker. Real plethora that. Cocu doesn't have the options to pick from, the squad just isn't good enough. However much we slag Cocu off, nobody is getting more out of what we have.

I'm reluctant to say this because so many youngsters, good young players with lots of potential, are playing at the moment BUT this is a really very poor squad.

Cocu cannot be blamed for the players he's inherited.

I like Waghorn the person but he's not good enough. I feel sorry for Lawrence's loss but he's not fulfilling his potential. We have no creativity. Holmes and Knight were our biggest creators but that was/is not enough. Rooney is quality on the ball but no longer mobile enough.

Hamer, by picking up the back pass, and Lowe losing his head, were just plain stooopid. Bogle always looks likely to pick up a booking.

Need I go on?

Just now, Nick_Ram said:

Player for player, we're not as bad as the league makes out. How many Luton players would get into the Derby team? And you could apply this to a lot of teams in the league. 

Oh yes, because a binary look at players in a vacuum argument is always an intelligent argument and team balance never comes into play at all. Have a word. We've just been on a great run of form. Tonight was crap, but Cocu is still doing a half reasonable job with what he has at his disposal. It's our first loss in ages.

15 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Out of interest, what do you think he’s trying to achieve?

I’m not trying to sound funny, but I’m not sure what the plan is? 

3 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

Player for player we're definitely as bad as the league makes out, especially going forward. Pretty much every team above us has at least one attacking player that would walk into our 11, no questions asked.

Just now, Jayram said:

Not a chance - he's done nothing whatsoever to warrant being backed so blindly. We have just lost to the absolute worst team in this division and we have been average to awful all season.

Which is exactly where we should be with such a squad. When he has his own team, that's the time to criticise. 

He needs to be given time now without a doubt, given the poo he’s had to put up with. That much is clear.

But I still remain far far from convinced by him as a manager. The away form is nothing short of atrocious. When you contrast to our home form, surely the manager has to take some sort of blame for his tactical set up? He’s just too cautious for me, every time we score a goal it’s drop deep and hold onto what we have, and away from home we sometimes seem to start that way! Wasn’t the case today, but all too often this season we’ve seen almost no attempt at a press, which I think has to be a tactical move by an overly defensive manager, given the number of occasions it’s happened. I just can’t ever be convinced by managers like Cocu and Clough, who are satisfied to sit on a 1-0 lead and hope for the best.

In fairness, I think his coaching is starting to take hold in improving our passing out the back and speed, and working through midfield. That’s the shining hope for me that we can build a decent possession side off the back of that. But the woeful lack of quality in attack seems to be continuing despite today’s 2 goals. I know the players up there aren’t that great, but they’ve never been as poor as this before. Is Cocus coaching making them worse players? We just don’t seem to have a clue sometimes in the final third about how to create chances. Almost like there’s no plan.

I think there’s still hope in there somewhere that he’ll work out, and he definitely needs time and a decent squad to show what he can do. I’m still far from convinced though based on what we’ve seen this season, and I think blind faith in him is a little unfounded so far.

I've no doubt he will stay for the long term.. My concern is he appears to have no plans.. Just react to how he thinks the opposition will play.. And our squad is nowhere near as dire as many suggest.. But its an easy excuse to use to explain away the obvious lack of tactics.. Especially away from home.. Hope it will turn around but still to be convinced.. I'm hoping it's such a slow burner I just can't see the glowing ember.. 

Archived