We need to back Cocu

MackworthRamIsGod

22 minutes ago, kingsy1884 said:

I for one am suprised we have done as well as we have.

We lost arguably our 3 best players in Mount, Wilson and Tomori. The debacle with Keogh was just ridiculous. Losing the club captain and stalwart for several seasons is going to hurt. 

Losing our next best player for the season in Bielik one of our few permanent signings.

Not to mention the FFP stuff. The injuries have been endless and there now appears to be nothing left in the coffers. 

Any manager would have struggled under this nightmare. The club is going to take a long time to change.

Thankfully a lot can change in football. Some signings or new investment will significantly change everything.

Always said he needed the season to steady the ship and I still do. Next season will be PC true test i think. 

I agree with all that, however his football is tepid, boring and negative. There is nothing to say even with new investment and signings that will change. His style is his style, personally it’s not for me. 

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I agree with all that, however his football is tepid, boring and negative. There is nothing to say even with new investment and signings that will change. His style is his style, personally it’s not for me. 

I agree the football hasnt been great. Neither are the players he has left are particularly good. We need points on the board at home they have been effect at that. 

Rooneys appearance has changed this we can only hope new signings will make the difference too. The young players we now have are a massive highlight just need a few additions. I would prefer proper ones in the summer.

6 hours ago, TommyPowell said:

so we go 7 games undefeated and lose tonight with the same team but tonight its Cocus fault get a grip

And in how many of those games has the football been great to watch? How many of those games have you honestly been able to say ‘Yeah I see what he’s trying to do here’? The point is that the style of football, the philosophy is mind numbingly dull and taking us nowhere. 

Always have been firmly in the Cocu stays camp, my view is starting to waver a little, I Just want to see some glimpses of what might be.

I want him to succeed, fed up of starting again with another change of manager, thats 100% why we are were we are. 

Cocu has had a nightmare season to contend with, just please lets see something between now and may that gives us the hope. 

This squad is poor, it shouldnt be but it is. Very easy to forget because of the leeds play off performances but without mount last season we were abject at times, as bad as we saw last night. 

10 hours ago, Nick_Ram said:

His best isn't good enough then.

Player for player, we're not as bad as the league makes out. How many Luton players would get into the Derby team? And you could apply this to a lot of teams in the league. 

True but you can say the same about our players, how many would get into other championship teams, not seen any offers coming in for Marriott,Martin or even our most supposedly talented Welsh International who according to some would generate  a good transfer fee. 

7 hours ago, Jourdan said:

The longer Cocu stays, the more irretrievable his reputation will be. For the sake of the man's career, we should let him go. He is not going to be able to turn this around. The recent run merely papered over some massive cracks both on and off the pitch.

People seem certain that we are safe. Personally I'm not convinced. Our run-in is really difficult. Seven of our nine remaining away games are against teams in the top half.  Four of the current top six make up half of our remaining home games. Even though we have a 12-point cushion, the picture could look completely different by the middle of March if we are not careful. Our home form is respectable, but should that take a turn for the worse, what then?

Even if we do somehow manage to scrape enough points together to survive, what hope do we have for next season under Cocu?

Is Cocu learning and showing signs of understanding the division? There's little to no evidence of it. Most of us think we need anywhere from 6-10 new players to rebuild the squad. Where is the money coming from for that? The long-awaited new investment? Will it even be enough given our track record in the transfer market?

If Cocu stays, we could be in for a number of barren years. Is that what he signed up for?

If not now then in the summer, I think we need a fresh start and to appoint a young, up-and-coming coach in the mould of Steve Cooper. Someone who will be able to grow with the club as it re-emerges out of the mire, because it's unfair to throw Cocu's reputation over hot coals by asking him to do a job that he has never looked prepared for.

Steve Cooper is so interested in the long term development of his club that just under 5 of their usual starting XI are loans from big clubs, which is exactly the policy that has us in the mess we’re in now.

Only one of Cocu and Cooper is developing a club for the long term. And it isn’t the one who looks like a gargoyle.

You can’t preach you want a manager to grow the club, and want a manager who is doing that sacked for short term results. Doesn’t make sense.

10 hours ago, LB_DCFC said:

People asking 'what is a Cocu team?', go and watch preston first half again. It was absolutely brilliant and what he wants to achieve consistently with this team. Again, look at the tools at his disposal and tell me which players in this team are consistently top 10 material. Bogle, Lowe, maybe Clarke and Holmes and possibly Rooney. The youngsters look good but aren't consistent as is the nature of youth players, so is it really a surprise to anyone at all that we are where we are, adding on all the context of external matters?

Things need to change at Derby, but the manager certainly isn't number 1 on that list. In the list of causes for our league position, Cocu isn't high on that list at all for me

Why haven't we seen it more often then?

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why haven't we seen it more often then?

External factors-injuries, both major and minor. A tipsy turvy season off the pitch has been one big distraction

Internal-Cocu having faith in the wrong players (Waghorn and Lawrence), players scared to make a mistake sometimes due inexperience and sometimes due to confidence, players not taking responsibility and only reacting under desperation rather than taking control.

Essentially it’s a whole load of stuff. I put a lot in the players personally, but Cocu has to take his share and so does Morris for the lack of investment and management of the situation. 

2 hours ago, Jayram said:

And in how many of those games has the football been great to watch? How many of those games have you honestly been able to say ‘Yeah I see what he’s trying to do here’? The point is that the style of football, the philosophy is mind numbingly dull and taking us nowhere. 

i didnt say it was pretty but  to say hes rubbish purely on last night is nonsense

5 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

I dont think we've had a summer where we lose so many players that we need to replace. 

The point is when we get in replacements if they aren't successful they too get put on the 'need to replace' list - all these players that we buy/loan are they really that bad or is the manager (at the time) unable to get the best out of them?

As a supporter of over 50 years I don't normally dwell on individual results anymore, whether it's a play off semi win at Elland Rd or another 3-0 loss in the capital, but last night's loss at Luton has spooked me somehow. It's as though Cocu is driving on black ice, he's operating all the controls as they have been designed and how he's been taught to operate them but they don't respond as they should and he can't see why. 

I don't think that we need to change the driver yet though but can we improve the car's handling?

I've got mixed feeling on this , he has been dealt a bad hand but even the Joiner Gate fiasco has to fall under his remit .Club discipline ,culture all comes from the top .Poor team selections, judgement of players, being cautious all his responsibility .

So to sum up I think he could have done better with what he's got and my gut feeling always was from the start he won't make it .The point in time when you get rid is an entirely different question and reluctantly I don't think now is the time. 

50 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

External factors-injuries, both major and minor. A tipsy turvy season off the pitch has been one big distraction

Internal-Cocu having faith in the wrong players (Waghorn and Lawrence), players scared to make a mistake sometimes due inexperience and sometimes due to confidence, players not taking responsibility and only reacting under desperation rather than taking control.

Essentially it’s a whole load of stuff. I put a lot in the players personally, but Cocu has to take his share and so does Morris for the lack of investment and management of the situation. 

Eh?

How can he have invested more?. He's just sold the stadium to himself (at an alledgedly inflated price) just to try and keep us within EFL limits as it is.

Archived