The Change in Fortune. Who's to thank?

Sheikh n Bake

The Change in Fortune. Who's to thank?   

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Voted for Cocu, but I don't believe there is one main factor, it's a combination of all of them. We had started our mini revival against Charlton before Rooney was here, but his leadership can't have hurt. The players have definitely got a better understanding of what is being asked of them now though.

Arguably, Rooney wouldn't have joined us if Cocu wasn't here, so there's definitely praise for Cocu either way.

I just feel that we've really missed having a geniune leader on the pitch. Someone who the rest of the team look upto and won't question their judgement. Watching Rooney baalock Marriott for his terrible lob attempt was a great to see for me. 

3 hours ago, Nick_Ram said:

Arguably, Rooney wouldn't have joined us if Cocu wasn't here, so there's definitely praise for Cocu either way.

I just feel that we've really missed having a geniune leader on the pitch. Someone who the rest of the team look upto and won't question their judgement. Watching Rooney baalock Marriott for his terrible lob attempt was a great to see for me. 

What were you doing in Derby’s shower room?

Holmes has been better since Rooney started.

Rooney genuinely seems to inspire others too.

Lowe and Knight not getting dropped for annoying players to play

Andre Wisdom has toughened us up

Clarke settled back down 

Throwing caution to wind and bringing the youth in to play with Rooney. Jason Knight's emergence has been massive, as well as Max Lowe's form. Matt Clarke's return too. Still too early to fully judge Cocu given the way this season has gone and having to play with the deck he's got but he's gone from not really impressing me to me being pleased with the firefighting he's done - although I wish he wouldn't have this penchant for Huddlestone, but whatever.

Actually big credit to Andre Wisdom. I think Bogle is a lot better player in attack and defence. But he has struggled for form

But Wisdom was needed to step in and he's done very well. Almost like the Wisdom we had in 13/14. Bogle will or maybe even has already own that RB position again but Wisdom made himself hard to drop. Cocu moving him to CB and he put in another strong performance. 

I guess it works both ways. One player losing the plot can have a knock on effect to those around him 

But here Wisdom has come in and looked relaxed and solid. Clarke has started to show more and more confidence like the attacking CB that started vs Huddersfield. Rooney has given authority to that midfield and it's made Holmes hit the best form we have seen from him in a long time. 

Knight has worked extremely hard and plays without any nerves or pressure. He looks like an unflappable character.

I think from this it's just made us a bit tougher, less panicked and when we have to dig in we do so but manage to get ourselves back in the game. 

Still lots of areas to improve. 

I think if we started Saturday with Bogle RB, Malone LB, Davies CB, Lawrence LW, say Evans (if he was fit) instead of Rooney and Waghorn for Knight because Marriott comes in that we would see a return to panic passing and rolling over for a belly tickle. 

There appears to be a core of players that are giving energy and calm to the team. Even if they aren't our players with the best ability they bring the best out of others. 

I hope Max Lowe gets left alone. I don't have anything against Malone but he's as wild as any player I've ever seen. Maybe in a more settled side like with Mount,Keogh, Wilson and Holmes it's forgivable. In this team with these under pressure keepers etc... nah. 

Also, unless Lawrence composed performance on Saturday is a sign of things to come then his partnership with Malone is scary for us. A wild full back and a greedy winger? Malone would look better with someone like Dawkins or Jozefzoon type. 

Max Lowe, Wisdom, Clarke, Rooney, Holmes and Knight are the core of this team right now imo

Still think Martin would perhaps better Waghorn as that target man but I suppose Cocu prefers Waghorn because he runs the channels. 

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Actually big credit to Andre Wisdom. I think Bogle is a lot better player in attack and defence. 

But Wisdom was needed to step in and he's done very well. Almost like the Wisdom we had in 13/14. Bogle will or maybe even has already own that RB position again but Wisdom made himself hard to drop. Cocu moving him to CB and he put in another strong performance. 

I guess it works both ways. One player losing the plot can have a knock on effect to those around him 

But here Wisdom has come in and looked relaxed and solid. Clarke has started to show more and more confidence like the attacking CB that started vs Huddersfield. Rooney has given authority to that midfield and it's made Holmes hit the best form we have seen from him in a long time. 

Knight has worked extremely hard and plays without any nerves or pressure. He looks like an unflappable character.

I think from this it's just made us a bit tougher, less panicked and when we have to dig in we do so but manage to get ourselves back in the game. 

Still lots of areas to improve. 

I think if we started Saturday with Bogle RB, Malone LB, Davies CB, Lawrence LW, say Evans (if he was fit) instead of Rooney and Waghorn for Knight because Marriott comes in that we would see a return to panic passing and rolling over for a belly tickle. 

There appears to be a core of players that are giving energy and calm to the team. Even if they aren't our players with the best ability they bring the best out of others. 

I hope Max Lowe gets left alone. I don't have anything against Malone but he's as wild as any player I've ever seen. Maybe in a more settled side like with Mount,Keogh, Wilson and Holmes it's forgivable. In this team with these under pressure keepers etc... nah. 

Also, unless Lawrence composed performance on Saturday is a sign of things to come then his partnership with Malone is scary for us. A wild full back and a greedy winger? Malone would look better with someone like Dawkins or Jozefzoon type. 

Max Lowe, Wisdom, Clarke, Rooney and Knight are the core of this team right now imo. Followed closely by more luxury players like Holmes, Marriott, Waghorn etc. 

Still think Martin would perhaps better Waghorn as that target man but I suppose Cocu prefers Waghorn because he runs the channels. 

Agreed with nearly all of that, apart from if you straight swap Martin for Waghorn in Saturday's team it becomes even slower than it was. Martin, Rooney, Huddlestone, complete with no one other than Bogle, Holmes and Lowe with any noticeable pace at all. At least removing Davies you're slightly more athletic with Wisdom.

are we that much better?

The results have improved but - bar Reading - there has only been one goal in it max for every result since Fulham. Initially we were losing and drawing. Now we are winning and drawing. I also thought we were unlucky v Reading. (We should have had a penalty and hit the post). i don’t really see a massive improvement in performances. The biggest single player factor is probably Jason knight. The biggest single factor overall is probably just the increased confidence that comes with improved results.

(i am far from convinced that the new fellow is adding anything very much but we’ll leave that for fear of awakening the forum ranters  and ravers). 

Archived