The Change in Fortune. Who's to thank?

Sheikh n Bake

The Change in Fortune. Who's to thank?   

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Agreed with nearly all of that, apart from if you straight swap Martin for Waghorn in Saturday's team it becomes even slower than it was. Martin, Rooney, Huddlestone, complete with no one other than Bogle, Holmes and Lowe with any noticeable pace at all. At least removing Davies you're slightly more athletic with Wisdom.

Yeah, I guess that's why Waghorn is preferred over Martin even though his first touch is awful (although it was good at the weekend!!) 

I mean I think Marriott and Martin are better than Waghorn but we probably need the physical attributes of Waghorn more than the technical attributes of the other two? 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yeah, I guess that's why Waghorn is preferred over Martin even though his first touch is awful (although it was good at the weekend!!) 

I mean I think Marriott and Martin are better than Waghorn but we probably need the physical attributes of Waghorn more than the technical attributes of the other two? 

Waghorn also tries to get in behind the defences sometimes, which stretches them. He's not amazing at it because he's not particularly quick and his awareness of when the ball is coming too him isn't great, but, in the absence of Marriott, he does a job. We've had quite a bit of joy from getting in behind in recent weeks.

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Waghorn also tries to get in behind the defences sometimes, which stretches them. He's not amazing at it because he's not particularly quick and his awareness of when the ball is coming too him isn't great, but, in the absence of Marriott, he does a job. We've had quite a bit of joy from getting in behind in recent weeks.

Weird innit. 

Is Waghorn our best striker? No.

So who should we play up front? Waghorn.

Riiiiight

5 hours ago, ramit said:

One seasoned creative maestro with an impeccable record is added to an otherwise rather lacklustre Championship side and they instantly become very hard to beat

Hmm

But the best performance at home was the one Rooney didn't play .....before he started.

Knight

he is an absolute gem. Hopefully he stays free of injury. 

he has also scored three goals which is probably more than anyone else in this run?

23 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I think a fully fit Marriott would probably be the best option if it's a straight swap in Saturday's line up. But you're right, Waghorn for now is the only real option despite him being pretty slow and a terrible finisher, at least his touch was better on Saturday.

Haven't voted simply because I think it's a combination of all three, plus the introduction of the youngsters.  Bar the first half at Boro, the side has looked so much more energetic in games since Charlton.  Players like Rooney and Huddlestone will need others to do their running for them, and to provide outlets and stretch the opposition with their passing range.

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

All of the reasons stated plus one not mentioned 

we have played and just beat by a single goal some very poor/ average sides - which we needed to do so hopefully confidence carries on into the better teams when we play them 

Thought about it but didn't want to say it. ?

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Do you think he's made that much of a difference as an individual? I would say Holmes has been the  main difference between the losses/draws and the wins.

I reckon Knight's graft and bravery (not knocking his ability) has been infectious.

You can't stand back while he's battling away, using all his energy and strength to keep the ball. Be obvious if you weren't backing him up. 

He's looked fearless and that might have been a bit of motivation. Sometimes it's been like a friendly match. Bielik has that same urgency. And Holmes of course. He's braver in the air than Huddlestone

Just as Cocu is ultimately the man held responsible when things aren’t going well, he must also be the man ultimately held responsible when they are imo. He is the manager after all. Of course there are many contributing factors, like Holmes return to form, Rooneys influence as captain, the return of Huddlestone etc etc. But it’s the managers job to bring all those things together, and we’re now in a much better run of form so Cocu is the man deserved of the praise imo. It’s only a few games, so we must exercise caution of course, but things on the pitch at least are looking a bit better at the moment.

Clarke 

simple as

his return has totally coincided with our improved form ... to the very game 

we have a solid foundation to build from

obviously others have contributed, Knight, Rooney and wisdom etc but for me we now look umpteen times better at the back.... still the occasional lapse as we’ve seen but we just feel a little more steady back there 

am intrigued to seee more of wisdom and Clarke together thought they were excellent against Hull 

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Do you think he's made that much of a difference as an individual? I would say Holmes has been the  main difference between the losses/draws and the wins.

The two are linked. Knight's energy is the catalyst for Holmes' increased impact.

Holmes is a bit like Bryson (albeit, more technically gifted). Holmes will looks great in a good team but the team isn't good because of him. His attributes of pace and dribbling are useless when he drives forward quicker than the senile players around him and ends up running into trouble.

The key word is balance. Before Rooney, the reintroduction of the young players and the injuries, we were horribly imbalanced. People were blaming Cocu, but I'm not sure what he could have done out of a transfer window to fix it.

Like most of the league, we can mix it with anyone when we've got enough first choice players available to make an XI which works. And, like most of the league, we are only a handful of injuries away from looking like relegation fodder.  

14 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

am intrigued to seee more of wisdom and Clarke together thought they were excellent against Hull 

I thought the same about Forsyth and Davies when they first played together. Forsyth's left peg was a fast route out of defence and he won his aerial duels. However, it didn't take long for other teams to suss out his weaknesses and lack of match sharpness.

Every opposition manager we will face over the next half a dozen games will be showing his coaching staff the clip of Wisdom missing his header and giving Bowen that glorious chance. They'll be after him.

I'm not saying Wisdom isn't the answer, I just mean that I've learned not to allow myself to be too excited by one performance. 

It reminds me of when Fulham signed Mitrovic and Cairney came back from injury the season they went on a roll and went up via the playoffs. They were bottom 7 in December and 3rd by the end of the season.

Rooney may have had the same impact here. Players returning from injury and the squad having better leadership but also understand for what Cocu demands.

If we don’t get a points deduction from the EFL we could go anywhere this season, the championship is wide open....

I hate to single out players for criticism (and there are a few players at this club who I do want to see anywhere near the pitch, but I don't post those thoughts on here), but the performance and results changed when Lawrence was banned. The first game he was banned for was Charlton and we won. Yes I know he's back in the team, but I think the performances and results with Lawrence sidelined have improved confidence. 

I am sure Rooneys presence and leadership skills have had an impact on the pitch,an example being when he ripped into Marriott for squandering chances the other week. However the likes of Hudds,Holmes coming back into the team appears to have given us some gravitas , so don't believe it's just one factor.More probable a combination of factors making things fall into place. Let's hope it may continue to improve from now on and see us push for the top 6 where we truly belong.

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

are we that much better?

The results have improved but - bar Reading - there has only been one goal in it max for every result since Fulham. Initially we were losing and drawing. Now we are winning and drawing. I also thought we were unlucky v Reading. (We should have had a penalty and hit the post). i don’t really see a massive improvement in performances. The biggest single player factor is probably Jason knight. The biggest single factor overall is probably just the increased confidence that comes with improved results.

(i am far from convinced that the new fellow is adding anything very much but we’ll leave that for fear of awakening the forum ranters  and ravers). 

Big difference between winning and drawing and losing and drawing, so performances are def better. Rooney distribution and presence amongst our players appears to have had a positive impact and no doubt has given opposition something extra to think about.Hudds,Holmes and the likes coming back have also provided us with some thing extra and will no doubt have installed more confidence whilst in the field of play.Whatever your opinion results are looking more respectable and we appear to be making progress.

Archived