The Change in Fortune. Who's to thank?

Sheikh n Bake

The Change in Fortune. Who's to thank?   

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

28 minutes ago, Big Bad Bob said:

I hate to single out players for criticism (and there are a few players at this club who I do want to see anywhere near the pitch, but I don't post those thoughts on here), but the performance and results changed when Lawrence was banned. The first game he was banned for was Charlton and we won. Yes I know he's back in the team, but I think the performances and results with Lawrence sidelined have improved confidence. 

Waghorn's goal was the starting point. The team finished that game on a high and took that into the Charlton game. Backed by a very supportive crowd, doing everything we could to get in the head of their key player, and the red card turning it almost in to a 'us vs the world' sort of game. Everyone seems so much more united since.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Alpha said:

Yeah, I guess that's why Waghorn is preferred over Martin even though his first touch is awful (although it was good at the weekend!!) 

I mean I think Marriott and Martin are better than Waghorn but we probably need the physical attributes of Waghorn more than the technical attributes of the other two? 

I find it highly amusing that the manager who wants to 'play football' prefers Waghorn to Martin - supposedly because Martin is too slow. It's the ball that moves faster than the players can mostly, I don't remember the terribly slow football we played under Mac? We also don't play particularly attacking football even at home. We're playing like a cross between Clement and Snake, we had 2 shots on target on Saturday according to the stats. But we're all so worried about relegation that points are the headliner.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I find it highly amusing that the manager who wants to 'play football' prefers Waghorn to Martin - supposedly because Martin is too slow. It's the ball that moves faster than the players can mostly, I don't remember the terribly slow football we played under Mac? We also don't play particularly attacking football even at home. We're playing like a cross between Clement and Snake, we had 2 shots on target on Saturday according to the stats. But we're all so worried about relegation that points are the headliner.

The team was slow Saturday, mainly due to Huddlestone and Rooney where I don't think you want both in many games. I think most people accepted that.

I know you won't accept a single word against Martin so this post is probably futile but try and see this as rationale and not Martin-hate, however, we didn't play slow under McClaren because we had the quick players to play off him...

Point is, if it's a straight plug and play swap for Waghorn in the team Saturday, we wouldn't have that and it would've been even more pedestrian than it was. Martin could still work, but he would need exactly what we had back then, which we don't particularly have in the squad at our disposal right now. Yes the ball moves quicker, but if you don't have pace to scare the opposition anywhere then the pitch shrinks and becomes more difficult, and the movement off the ball gets worse and you end up with even more side to side aimless football. 

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I find it highly amusing that the manager who wants to 'play football' prefers Waghorn to Martin - supposedly because Martin is too slow. It's the ball that moves faster than the players can mostly, I don't remember the terribly slow football we played under Mac? 

Maybe Roy your man is not fit?  When he was on the subs bench at Reading and Hull it was regularly trotted out that his stomach issues might be attributable. That might still be currently the case and they are having to nurse him through?  I think bottom line Cocu ideally would like a new forward that offers Waghorn’s energy and Martin’s touch. Not easy to find, especially with money apparently too tight to mention.

14 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Maybe Roy your man is not fit?  When he was on the subs bench at Reading and Hull it was regularly trotted out that his stomach issues might be attributable. That might still be currently the case and they are having to nurse him through?  I think bottom line Cocu ideally would like a new forward that offers Waghorn’s energy and Martin’s touch. Not easy to find, especially with money apparently too tight to mention.

Well maybe Trialist or even Whittaker then?

19 minutes ago, Srg said:

The team was slow Saturday, mainly due to Huddlestone and Rooney where I don't think you want both in many games. I think most people accepted that...

Martin could still work, but he would need exactly what we had back then, which we don't particularly have in the squad at our disposal right now. Yes the ball moves quicker, but if you don't have pace to scare the opposition anywhere then the pitch shrinks and becomes more difficult, and the movement off the ball gets worse and you end up with even more side to side aimless football. 

Worked against Palace?

2 hours ago, Big Bad Bob said:

I hate to single out players for criticism (and there are a few players at this club who I do want to see anywhere near the pitch, but I don't post those thoughts on here), but the performance and results changed when Lawrence was banned. The first game he was banned for was Charlton and we won. Yes I know he's back in the team, but I think the performances and results with Lawrence sidelined have improved confidence. 

Lawrence played in arguably the most impressive victory of the lot against Palace. He also got assists against Boro and Hull.

I think that you're all failing to give credit to the hero here. It's clearly me that is responsible. Since I criticised Philip Coco our form has completely turned around. Cocu obviously read that and decided to pull out the stops to make CornwallRam look silly. So you've all got me to thank.

11 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I think that you're all failing to give credit to the hero here. It's clearly me that is responsible. Since I criticised Philip Coco our form has completely turned around. Cocu obviously read that and decided to pull out the stops to make CornwallRam look silly. So you've all got me to thank.

I think you're a bit too quick off the mark to claim the credit. We all know it's down to @Rampant . ?

3 hours ago, Big Bad Bob said:

And look again to last season - banned for three games after Rotherham- then see what happen - research it

3 hours ago, angieram said:

I think you're a bit too quick off the mark to claim the credit. We all know it's down to @Rampant . ? 

Thank you ? I hope my successor is warming up ready to pick up the baton as and when I drop it. Unless I'm still going come the end of the season in which case I'd expect formal recognition for being a lucky omen.

Patience is to thank here..... time and again we’ve got hysterical (myself included I may add) after a defeat..... let’s continue to be patient and see what Cocu can build for the next 18 months 

7 hours ago, ram1964 said:

Big difference between winning and drawing and losing and drawing, so performances are def better. Rooney distribution and presence amongst our players appears to have had a positive impact and no doubt has given opposition something extra to think about.Hudds,Holmes and the likes coming back have also provided us with some thing extra and will no doubt have installed more confidence whilst in the field of play.Whatever your opinion results are looking more respectable and we appear to be making progress.

We are better -  as i said - due to jason knight, a bit of confidence, and one or two other things.

I'm just not sure its a huge difference because as i also said the 3-0 at Reading could easily have been 3-2, 2-2, or 3-3 due to the boy wonder.

19 hours ago, Duracell said:

I thought the same about Forsyth and Davies when they first played together. Forsyth's left peg was a fast route out of defence and he won his aerial duels. However, it didn't take long for other teams to suss out his weaknesses and lack of match sharpness.

Every opposition manager we will face over the next half a dozen games will be showing his coaching staff the clip of Wisdom missing his header and giving Bowen that glorious chance. They'll be after him.

I'm not saying Wisdom isn't the answer, I just mean that I've learned not to allow myself to be too excited by one performance. 

Agree one game is nothing I’m holding onto the hope that wisdom has more history playing that role than fozzy

at Liverpool he cans through academy ranks as a centre back, think he played a league cup game for them there, his season long loan at Salzburg saw him play centre back it’s only us and Norwich that have put him in at centre back 

am hoping him and Clarke compliment each other Arially and all round but gear what u say 

Archived