v Middlesbrough (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

48 minutes ago, Rambam said:

I wonder if VAR would have chalked Holmes’ goal off? Davies was seated, but would he have been seen as obstructing the goalkeeper’s view? I note he didn’t celebrate the goal! 
ps I hate VAR.

4DDF640E-2064-4E5B-8432-D26DB105186F.jpeg

Neither did Tom Ince when Martin used to score..... 

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Not really,  you said you would have scored it.

My point is valid as im 99 percent sure you wouldn't have been in a position to.

Of course yes you are right a professional footballer perhaps should have but that isn't what you said.

Most amusing.  Good point well made. 

I still play socially and let me tell you, I have scored really bloody great goals from much much more difficult chances than that....AND I have missed much easier chances than that, chances that were nigh on impossible to miss... 

So, I kinda feel the 'I would have scored that' statement is a bit meaningless. Agree @Paul71 makes a rather better point..he should have expected to score. 

I think its a bit tense in the room because Cocu's reputation is currently in the balance. A few more wins and a push for the playoffs OR a few defeats and a slide to the relegation places and one of the two camps will go a bit quiet and accept for the moment they are arguing a lost cause. 

14 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

think its a bit tense in the room because

...... the surprising thing to me is it seems a lot of the folks getting tense have been around as long as me (or longer). Yet I am seeing a mediocre season no worse than many I have seen before with reasons to be hopeful for the future.

Were not really good enough for competing this season and need to integrate u23’s/18’s as per Mel’s Instruction. Cocu is doing that and working out which players need replacing or could/can be developed. 

Probably using this season as a free hit for experimentation. I personally can deal with this, but i guess I am more chilled than average @dcfcfans contributor

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Surely if you think that we shouldn't be changing a winning team, you was unhappy when Huddlestone and Martin were put in the team for the Crystal Palace match?

No, because Huddlestone was only just returning from injury, and Martin should be the first name on the team sheet every week anyhow .. 

13 hours ago, LazloW said:

To some, when we lose or play badly it is only ever the manager’s fault.  It never has anything to do with the players not doing what they were told, having a bad game, the opposition playing well, the opposition actually wanting to win (heaven forbid), referees having stinkers, bad luck or anything else.  

To those same peoplewhen we win, or play well, it often seems that the manager had nothing to do with it.  It’s mostly that the opposition were rubbish, or their players weren’t playing well, or we wanted it more or we had some luck.  

Some seem to see it as a negative that when the manager sees it isn’t going well, that they change things to fix the problem.  They only see it as a negative when our manager does it, mind.  Other managers will be seen as tactical geniuses for doing the same.

To me, it is a good sign when your manager identified a problem and does Something about it.  To others, it means they got it wrong in the first place and should be roundly criticised for this (again, not reflecting on the fact that all plans go out of the window once the match starts; the game being played in the real world, with human beings rather than on paper by bots).

It really does seem that once some minds are made up about something, they find it impossible to move an inch from that position.

Cocu hasn’t done enough for me to be a strong advocate for him as yet.  But having considered the context we are in, I see no reason to believe he has done anything to be considered ‘clueless‘.   Yesterday would tend to point to the opposite of cluelessness (and I can say that while not entirely agreeing with his team selection!)

Spot on ????????

5 hours ago, Ram8 said:

No, because Huddlestone was only just returning from injury, and Martin should be the first name on the team sheet every week anyhow .. 

You do realise that prior to the Palace cup tie we had just won back to back league games for the first time this season? Something that we had not managed when Huddlestone and Martin had been in the team.

I actually agree with the point about tinkering but you cant have it both ways.

It cant be ok for him to tinker to get your favourite players in the team but then be used as a stick to beat him with when they are not playing. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

You do realise that prior to the Palace cup tie we had just won back to back league games for the first time this season? Something that we had not managed when Huddlestone and Martin had been in the team.

Feeble  - and the presence or absence of these two was the only difference between these two matches and the rest where we failed to win back to back?  It could just be that they were back to back home matches!

1 hour ago, DRBee said:

Feeble  - and the presence or absence of these two was the only difference between these two matches and the rest where we failed to win back to back?  It could just be that they were back to back home matches!

No not at all. 

Just stating that if you're going to criticise Cocu for tinkering after the Palace match, but then not also recognise the fact that the team for the Palace match was as the result of changing a team that had won the previous 2 matches, then it is clear that it is not the tinkering that you are complaining about, its more the fact that your favourite players are not in the team.

They may have been back to back home matches that we won but I think some would agree that they were 2 of our best performances of the season and all players involved deserved to keep their place in the team for the next league match.

Finally managed to get to watch the game and found it a fairly dispiriting experience after the palace game. 

Bogle seemed to run into more blind alleys than Lawrence and he concedes an awful lot of free kicks. 
we seemed to pick it up when players picked up the ball and broke through the lines but we really lack a winger with an end product. 

our best move was for the final goal. 11 passes in their half prior to the volley.

23 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Assuming you weren't collapsed in a heap on the half way line, like most of us on here would be, blowing out our arses trying to keep up with professional footballers.

?

Let me remind you of the original point:

1. I originally posted that Boro should have been out of sight by half time.

2. This point was disagreed with and it was claimed that Boro didn’t create any chances...

3. I replied by citing Wing’s blatant miss from a header 7 yards out which was a free ie unchallenged header. It was 0-0 at the time. It was such an easy chance that I said I would have scored it. 

4. You didn’t accept this and said I would’ve been on the half-way line “blowing out of my arse...”.

5. That point is irrelevant. I was merely saying that it was such a straightforward chance an amateur would’ve scored it.

6. So with the goal that Wing did score AND the subsequent Boro chances they would’ve buried the game by half-time.

Those are the facts. We were fortunate to get a point just like we were very fortunate to win 3-0 under Rowett at Boro a couple of seasons ago...

4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

2. This point was disagreed with and it was claimed that Boro didn’t create any chances...

3. I replied by citing Wing’s blatant miss from a header 7 yards out which was a free ie unchallenged header. It was 0-0 at the time. It was such an easy chance that I said I would have scored it. 

4. You didn’t accept this and said I would’ve been on the half-way line “blowing out of my arse...”.

5. That point is irrelevant. I was merely saying that it was such a straightforward chance an amateur would’ve scored it.

6. So with the goal that Wing did score AND the subsequent Boro chances they would’ve buried the game by half-time.

Those are the facts. We were fortunate to get a point just like we were very fortunate to win 3-0 under Rowett at Boro a couple of seasons ago...

What were these subsequent Boro chances?

Were they as easy as the chances missed by Lawrence and Waghorn?

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

What were these subsequent Boro chances?

Were they as easy as the chances missed by Lawrence and Waghorn?

Boro had further chances during the first half such that the half-time score could have been 0-3 to Boro. My view of Waghorn's "chance" was that although he was chasing the ball in the box and bearing down on the keeper, the ball was not under control and so it wasn't as clear-cut a chance as it looked to many from a distance and a different angle........

However, the real, underlying point rather than arguing the toss with you, microscopically, ad infinitum, is that Derby were woeful first half and that is a fact as witnessed and understood by Derby fans. This "non-show" during the first half of most away games, has become a habit, and the original point made is that the coaching staff should be sorting it. Yet they haven't. So, we can keep going over this or you can continue to detract from the original point by pretending things are otherwise. When fans see the same old problems repeatedly recurring, they have every right to voice their disapproval; so when they do, pretending that they are somehow mistaken is frankly what's called being "in denial". The quality of football played by Derby County this season on opposition turf is simply not very good and not good enough. And it's certainly not of the quality that Derby County fans have come to expect. Sorry my views are in contrast to yours but I like watching good football. 

3 hours ago, Ellafella said:

The only fact from the list you've given was that Wing scored. The rest are opinions - some probably correct but none of them facts!

Archived