v Middlesbrough (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

Honestly don't see a reason for much negativity about the result yesterday. It was a hard fought point, coming from behind twice at a place we've historically struggled. It shows we've made progress, we went away to a team who was in form, and we didn't just lie down and take a beating. The only slight detraction is that fact we keep giving away penalties.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Ellafella said:

There is a worryingly consistent pattern this season that is mostly apparent away from home. We just don’t perform in the first half; we are too deep and seem bereft of idea, shape and fight. The only thing I can think of is that it is rooted in how the team is set up and the “mindset” of the players going out onto the pitch.  Surely it’s the responsibility of the coaching staff to address that? Yet it keeps happening! Is it to do with team selection? How would I feel if I was Andre Wisdom? How would I feel if I was Chris Martin? I think I’d feel bewildered and disappointed. I think it’s basic human nature to want to be rewarded for good performances. I think that tinkering with team selection does not build consistency and I think it detracts from morale. Tactically, we invite teams and only want to react once we’re up against it. Boro should have been out of sight by half-time yesterday. They say the definition of madness is to keep doing the same thing and expecting things to change...

We played poorly first half but if you think Boro should have been out of sight you was watching a different match to me.

Dont remember them really creating a chance, yet we had the 2 best chances of the half.

24 minutes ago, Ram8 said:

I agree with RoyMac5 that Cocu is primarily reactive rather than proactive, and this is due entirely to his increasing propensity to pick the wrong players, the wrong team, and indeed regularly chop and change the starting line-up when it’s not necessary. 

Possibly the most glaringly obvious example of this is his rejection of the ‘combination’ that won us the cup tie at Crystal Palace; the triumvirate of our three most talented players, Rooney, Huddlestone and Martin, who ‘pooled’ their game management and talent to run the game, possibly the most promising sign this season that we had discovered the nucleus of a winning, and intelligently attractive, team (The Derby Way?). 

So, what does our ‘esteemed’ manager do ? He drops two of them (Martin and Huddlestone) plus Sibley, who also made a positive contribution to the Palace win; the most obvious error being replacing Martin up front with the woeful and ineffective Martyn Waghorn, a player whose first touch (in stark contrast to that of Chris Martin) is so poor that it virtually guarantees that 90% of our attacks founder on the rocks of his ineptitude. And those who defend him on the basis that he ‘works hard’, ‘runs his **** off’ etc. need to be reminded of David Nugent, another ineffective centre forward who was equally popular with those who only see value in a player who runs around imitating a headless chicken ! 

And what level of footballing knowledge is at play when Cocu, once again, continues to impede our progress towards a settled and competent team capable of promotion, by the inclusion of a player who has failed to impress, to shine, to integrate, into every system that every manager in recent times has chosen to utilise ? I refer of course to Tom Lawrence, a player who barely merits the description of ‘professional footballer’, and offers nothing whatsoever as either a winger or a number 10 ! 

How disappointing this is, after the apparent ‘green shoots’ of the last three games, for our manager to deliberately choose two steps backwards after the promising one step forward we had apparently achieved .. 

Surely if you think that we shouldn't be changing a winning team, you was unhappy when Huddlestone and Martin were put in the team for the Crystal Palace match?

36 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

We played poorly first half but if you think Boro should have been out of sight you was watching a different match to me.

Dont remember them really creating a chance, yet we had the 2 best chances of the half.

1. Wing free header from 7 yards from a Boro corner at 0-0. Put it wide when it was easier to score. He was un-marked and un-challenged....

3 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

1. Wing free header from 7 yards from a Boro corner at 0-0. Put it wide when it was easier to score. He was un-marked and un-challenged....

And un-able..

To score

3 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I would have scored it. It was a simple chance. 

Assuming you weren't collapsed in a heap on the half way line, like most of us on here would be, blowing out our arses trying to keep up with professional footballers.

?

44 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Wonder when it was that being a “happy clapper” i.e. supporting your team, became a negative thing

Good try .... linking "being a happy clapper " with "supporting your team" . Sadly ( for you) the link between those is not as you would wish.

Being a "happy clapper" in the final two Clough years was a negative thing because it meant being in support of sterile , declining quality football. Those who voiced criticism at that time were being positive , and eventually the owners changed the manager bringing in MacClaren. What's not to like about that.? We are all supporting the team.

16 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Assuming you weren't collapsed in a heap on the half way line, like most of us on here would be, blowing out our arses trying to keep up with professional footballers.

?

Its always easy when you the one watching.id love to know if any have even ever played at a good standard of football.

15 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

?

The point is it was a free header from a short way out. A so-called professional footballer should have scored it. Your above response is frankly irrelevant to the point. ?

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

The point is it was a free header from a short way out. A so-called professional footballer should have scored it. Your above response is frankly irrelevant to the point. ?

Not really,  you said you would have scored it.

My point is valid as im 99 percent sure you wouldn't have been in a position to.

Of course yes you are right a professional footballer perhaps should have but that isn't what you said.

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

You got that bit correct "should of scored" doesnt mean the chance was easy.lol all good tho stay positive all will come good in the end.

2 minutes ago, Rambam said:

I wonder if VAR would have chalked Holmes’ goal off? Bogle was seated, but would he have been seen as obstructing the goalkeeper’s view? 
ps I hate VAR.

4DDF640E-2064-4E5B-8432-D26DB105186F.jpeg

True but if we had VAR they would never of had a penno.so either way same end result lol

4 minutes ago, Rambam said:

I wonder if VAR would have chalked Holmes’ goal off? Davies was seated, but would he have been seen as obstructing the goalkeeper’s view? I note he didn’t celebrate the goal! 
ps I hate VAR.

4DDF640E-2064-4E5B-8432-D26DB105186F.jpeg

Impossible to know,  var officials must use one of those magic 8 balls to arrive at their decisions.

21 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I thought we were gradually getting better under Nigel the last 2 seasons he was with us. Yes it was boring a lot but we definitely weren't declining, just not improving particularly quickly.

I get the sentiment as i also thought clough did a great job but i just maybe see it a little differently.he sorted the club at a time when we were in free fall.however his football was never going to get us anywhere no matter how long he could of had.reminds me a little of the pearson/ran at fester.laid great foundations but took some one with real tactical nouse to get the job over the line.

Archived