v Middlesbrough (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

I cant tell what our best team is at the moment, but i dont think we can play Lawrence and Holmes together or Lowe and Bogle together if we want to get the best out of our players. Bogle had a poor game today and will hopefully be replaced by Wisdom who shouldnt have been dropped in the first place. Holmes should always be playing further forward - not just in front of the defence.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You’ve nailed it mate about it being tactics and not so much Desire and attitude 

our away form this season is shocking and quite simply it boils down to the fact that our manager can not comprehend the fact that by sitting as deep as we do, inviting teams onto us and then trying to play Through that hard first press we end up playing ourselves into trouble time and time and time again 

This division, or any division in England u have to earn the right to play football, even more so on the road, u have to win your battles 

is it not common sense that after the first 20-30 minutes or so the oppositions press will drop a notch and then perhaps then u will start to see pockets of space for which to move the ball through the lines.

its no coincidence either is it that again second half we go a little more direct and get the opposition not only turning but dropping those extra few yards deeper ..... low and behold pockets of space in which to operate in 

so this insistence to constantly try and pass our way out from First minute from the boot of Hamer or davies as u saw first hand plays right into yours or any other well organised sides hands

quite frankly it drives me up the wall

cos u can see it, I can see it, the radio Middlesbrough commentary team certainly could see it 

why doesn’t cocu ??????

15 minutes ago, GenBr said:

I cant tell what our best team is at the moment, but i dont think we can play Lawrence and Holmes together or Lowe and Bogle together if we want to get the best out of our players. Bogle had a poor game today and will hopefully be replaced by Wisdom who shouldnt have been dropped in the first place. Holmes should always be playing further forward - not just in front of the defence.

Bang on the money mate 

totally agree with that 

2 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

You’ve nailed it mate about it being tactics and not so much Desire and attitude.

If it was only 'desire and attitude' at fault why did Cocu change the formation at the start of the 2nd half? A little bit of 'oops I got it wrong' from Cocu wouldn't go amiss!

5 games now unbeaten, 3 of them away from home. Goals coming from midfielders. More game time for Knight & Bird and 90 mins more to help Rooney accilimatise to this level. A result earnt away to the form team in the division, after being behind twice.

Yeah it wasnt perfect but a good day overall. Onwards & upwards ?

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

If it was only 'desire and attitude' at fault why did Cocu change the formation at the start of the 2nd half? A little bit of 'oops I got it wrong' from Cocu wouldn't go amiss!

And how many times this season on the road has he had to tear up the original plans and change things 

The positive part of me says he can see issues and addresses them well

the negative part of me says that he hasn’t a clue and having to constantly change his tactics on the road suggests he not setting his sides up correctly in the first place 

Take ur pick Cos I don’t know 

Watched the game on RamsTV – here’s my take on player performances:

Hamer 5 : couldn’t do much with the goals (although I think he got a fingertip to the first one), but his distribution was not good enough all game.

Bogle 5 : had a lot of trouble with their left back getting forward in the first half, made headless chicken runs with no end product in second half. If he’s not doing it going forward I think Wisdom would be a better option atm.

Lowe 7 : also struggled in the first half but strong running and some good crosses in the second

Davis: 7 : solid as usual.

Clarke 5 : good when the ball is in the air but not comfortable with players running at him - absolutely no need to dive into the tackle from behind for the peno (and I thought the one a few minutes before was also a peno)

Bird 8 : just about the only one who looked up for it in the first half and very good (composed, high tempo, accurate) in the second.

Rooney 6 : in the first half Boro showed what every championship team will do if we play him deep: stick a young ‘un on him and don’t give him the time to get his head up to pick out the long passes. Bit better further forward in the second half but strangely subdued I thought with several poor touches and passes and not much obvious barking at those around him.

Holmes 7 : when on the right in the first half not good either going forward or defending, better in the middle in the second half particularly when making those surging forward runs. Fantastic strike for the goal.

Knight 7 : not in the game on the left in the first half, better on the right in the second half. Lucky for the goal, but gets an extra point from me for it anyway.

Lawrence 5 : Pretty much invisible in the first half (the fact that he didn’t hit that chance in the first half first time with his right foot shows his lack of confidence atm). Better in the second half (notably when winning the ball back before Knight’s goal) but without ever really threatening. Not comfortable as part of a front 2 in my opinion – sill think his best position is central behind 2 strikers.

Waghorn 5 : Ran around a lot as usual but had minimal impact on the game.

Subs: not on long enough to have a serious impact – can’t work out why Cocu seems so reluctant to use them earlier.

Overall, happy with a point in the circumstances. Good character to come back twice, but we cannot afford many more of those (all too frequent) lacklustre periods like the first half if we seriously want to challenge for anything this year.

COYR

4 hours ago, nottingram said:

Don’t worry I knew what you meant. Was a silly pedantic joke on my part about how his yellow would be followed by 90 minutes.

As it is you should probably write to Messrs Rowett (has Millwall in the play offs), Lampard (has Chelsea in the top 4) and Cocu to let them know Lawrence is stealing a living. Sure they would appreciate your insight

Pathetic response.  Giving the ball away as many times as he has done is sufficient reason for dropping Lawrence  and no great insight is required to spot that. . We might as well watch football with a paper bag over our head a just listen to the commentary if we are not going to form our own opinion of how good a player is. Lawrence can be good if played in certain positions. 

5 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

A really good point today against a in form boro. I could post negative stuff like, all those dreaming of the play’s off (again) are miles off. Even with king wazza and a 1 maybe 2 more signings in we r very short. But I won’t ??

Playoffs ?? Lol 

no chance who said play offs lol

I just want to see something that resembles a philosophy and direction

a good point but a truly dreadful first half display with a slightly better second let’s not muck about though anyone who watched that will know boro should had been out of site first half 

Player ratings for me FWIW:

Hamer 6: Poor distribution again really causes us problems, though generally calm otherwise.

Bogle 7: Lacked quality in the final third, but he had little support so I feel for him. One of our only players who could carry the ball out the back, so decent game by him.

Davies 7: Reasonably solid as per in defence. Struggled a bit playing out the back but again he had very few options available so feel for him a bit.

Clarke 6: On second viewing, I don’t think it was a pen. He got the ball, but he was diving in recklessly quite a few times giving the ref a decision to make. We need to be smarter in defence we’re giving far too many pens. Some good bits of defending by Clarke throughout the game though in fairness, in between his slightly crazy moments.

Lowe 7: Again one of our best attacking threats, some wonderful crosses into the box. Was out of position a bit in defence though. 

Bird 7: Started shaky giving the ball away a few times but really grew into it. Was playing some excellent intelligent passes and was having a real influence second half. 

Rooney 6- Poorest game in a Derby shirt for me. Passing was off In the middle of the park, gifted possession away too many times. Odd moments of class still on show though with some incisive passes around the box.

Holmes 7- Brilliant goal to snatch a point. Much better without Lawrence around him pissing about on the ball. Grew unto the game with some neat play to retain possession once he moved inside. Struggled out wide with little support around him early on.

Lawrence 6- Just about gets a 6 for the work to win the ball before Knights goal. Poor otherwise, constantly wasting the ball and didn’t look arsed, as per.

Knight 8 MOM- Excellent performance, best player on the park. Battled hard throughout the game, some excellent tackles to win the ball back, and some lovely touches in possession as well to keep the ball and start moves off. Topped off with a fortuitous but deserved goal. Well done Jason, that was a top performance.

Waghorn 6- Worked his arse off as usual, but pretty much nothing went his way. Poor touches let him down again. 

Subs:

Martin 6- Caused a bit of trouble battling for the ball in the melees late in the game, but his impact overall was negligible.

Whittaker 6- Barely touched the ball.

Overall a game of two halves. First half was absolutely abysmal like most other away days, and showed a total lack of effort and desire from the players. Properly pathetic and no wonder Cocu was fuming. Second half much better when we started to press on them playing out the back with some energy, and actually made some movements to create options in possession. Aside from a couple of moments of stupidity, that was more like a decent away performance. Let’s hope next time out we can actually start the game properly.

On way back

Hamer 5 way to slow to get us going 

Lowe 6 tried getting us going 

Clarke 5 stupid pen solid otherwise 

Davies 7 solid 

Bogle 6 tried 

Rooney 6 tried didnt effect much 

knight 7 class 

bird 7 good future 

Holmes 7 good finish 

Lawrence 4 offered nothing 

Waghorn 4 same as Lawrence 

Rooney had options against Palace, today he didnt. Sibley and Martin want it. Lawrence hides and Waggy isnt a lone front man. No surprise the second half as better.

What worries me is why a coaching team can't see this. 

Lawrence must be dropped. Sibley, Marriott or Hudds would all be better options.

Sat with my Referring mate who lives up here today and sat  with the Middlesbrough fans and it is strange reading the posts about Lawrence on here today because they were nervous everytime he had the ball and rated him our most dangerous player today.

I have no clue  why fans have to have a whipping boy every season Tom is the latest Bradley Johnson went through it so did Tom Ince and even Chris Martin for awhile in recent history and it is not a inclusive thing it happens at most clubs.

38 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Player ratings for me FWIW:

Waghorn 6- Worked his arse off as usual, but pretty much nothing went his way. Poor touches let him down again. 

Subs:

Martin 6- Caused a bit of trouble battling for the ball in the melees late in the game, but his impact overall was negligible.

Whittaker 6- Barely touched the ball.

Seriously? ?

Waghorn through again missed a decent chance. 47s in: 

https://www.skysports.com/football/mboro-vs-Derby/report/409668

Oh and it looked a clear penno, Clarke caught the players leg with his follow through.

Archived