The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Where did you hear this? There will be a need for more but I have not heard those numbers. 
Customs entries are electronic anyway, very few get human intervention unless flagged for some reason. 
HMRC have been planning this for sometime. Their current CHIEF system has been around for many years but still has that capacity to cope with the potential additional demand. They are also introducing a new system called CDS that will run in tandem for about a year. CDS is not quite ready but CHIEF will cope. 
Anyway 50,000 new jobs should keep you happy anyway. All the Cornish aubergine farmers who were buggered by BREXIT are now good to go. Win / Win.

Edit.

Just read your post again.. I think you mean those 50,000 ‘customs agents’. These are probably new hires in the forwarding industry?.. That gain is a positive thing, those 50,000 (if true), would be spread across the country and not necessarily concentrated at ports or airports. 

I read 50,000 in an FT article. Its an estimate-no more- of the number of extra people uk Businesses might need to employ to deal with the extra paperwork. 

Not customs officials from what I read.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

The figure of 50,000 customs agents was quoted by the Road Haulage Association.

Read my post again. Definitely wrote customs agents, the RHA called them customs agents, not 'customs agents '. So not sure what adding ' ' does.

Any increase in jobs is always a positive to the economy. Not sure if the transport industry will see the cost of an extra 50,000 pay packets as a positive.

So those 50,000 spread within a whole industry, not even much of a ripple. As @Van der MoodHoover says it’s an estimated number. 
What the Industry needs to know is what those additional declarations will be and that depends on how negotiations go. It could be a simple border dec, that will take seconds or a full customs entry that takes a little longer.

Dont stress your little head about the skills, that so be a problem. 
As far as your last comment re the cost to the transport industry.. Are you naive enough to think that there will be no charge for those entries? They will more than cover their cost and indeed it will be very profitable.. I take that back your naivety shines through with every post..

27 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

I am surprised he went on TV about this. I guess he doesn't actually want the cash hence why he declined a settlement. 

If constructive dismissal is found then there will be a compensation payment awarded by the employment tribunal regardless of whether the complainant wants it or not.

That's if it gets that far and an OOC settlement isn't made with gagging orders to avoid the facts of the case being broadcast in the national press which could be highly damaging for the government and Priti Patel in particular

2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Any increase in jobs is always a positive to the economy. Not sure if the transport industry will see the cost of an extra 50,000 pay packets as a positive.

We could bring the death penalty back. Think of all the opportunities for economically inactive executioners.

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

So those 50,000 spread within a whole industry, not even much of a ripple. As @Van der MoodHoover says it’s an estimated number. 
What the Industry needs to know is what those additional declarations will be and that depends on how negotiations go. It could be a simple border dec, that will take seconds or a full customs entry that takes a little longer.

Dont stress your little head about the skills, that so be a problem. 
As far as your last comment re the cost to the transport industry.. Are you naive enough to think that there will be no charge for those entries? They will more than cover their cost and indeed it will be very profitable.. I take that back your naivety shines through with every post..

Yes you're right I am naive, in that I assumed that any person with a modicum of brain, would realise that the extra costs I mentioned being incurred by the transport industry, would be passed on to the customer.

Sadly I was even more naive in not realising that section of the transport industry would use this situation to hike up their prices to make bigger profits, while blaming the price increases, that will eventually be footed by the British public, on the EU, the UK government or anyone else bar themselves.

38 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Yes you're right I am naive, in that I assumed that any person with a modicum of brain, would realise that the extra costs I mentioned being incurred by the transport industry, would be passed on to the customer.

Sadly I was even more naive in not realising that section of the transport industry would use this situation to hike up their prices to make bigger profits, while blaming the price increases, that will eventually be footed by the British public, on the EU, the UK government or anyone else bar themselves.

Naive view of complex economics.

7 minutes ago, Norman said:

Naive view of complex economics.

Yeah but he is just a dude posting on a Derby forum.

Austerity. Now that was a naive view of complex economics.

Even if you really couldn't care less about homelessness, sure start centres and flood defences, it was just really rubbish economics.

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

Yes you have 2 good points 

- costs will have to go somewhere 

- extra costs in the system reduces Britain's productivity. Which we are already struggling to improve and in which we are falling behind other economies. 

52 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Yes you have 2 good points 

- costs will have to go somewhere 

- extra costs in the system reduces Britain's productivity. Which we are already struggling to improve and in which we are falling behind other economies. 

Yes costs have to go somewhere, agreed. 
Does extra costs reduce productivity? Depends I suppose. Extra cost or investment? I guess there is no winning with you lefties, more jobs in the market place and still there is a downside.

You’re an accountant aren’t you? Where is the first place you look to reduce costs? Most look at staffing as it’s normally the big ticket in the overheads. 

2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Welcome to the world.  You’re starting to learn.

14 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Yes costs have to go somewhere, agreed. 
Does extra costs reduce productivity? Depends I suppose. Extra cost or investment? I guess there is no winning with you lefties, more jobs in the market place and still there is a downside.

You’re an accountant aren’t you? Where is the first place you look to reduce costs? Most look at staffing as it’s normally the big ticket in the overheads. 

In pure economic terms if you don't increase productivity then wealth per head doesn't improve. It's indicative of the claim and counter claim that more people are in "work" than ever before and more people are feeling left behind. 

So yes, there is a trade off and its not so much "lefties" being dissatisfied as there needing to be some honesty all round as to the likely consequences of policy, plus honesty in framing the question to the electorate. 

I'm an actuary.  

Archived