The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

14 minutes ago, Norman said:

It was multiple posts. I remember you telling me that I didn't know what working class people were like

Are you sure? I genuinely have no memory of that, nor does it sound like the sort of thing I'd take someone to task over. Unless you can locate one of the multiple posts then I'm going to have to take it that you've mixed me up with someone else

14 minutes ago, Norman said:

I assume you are a Labour activist who comments on Twitter about politics all the time, so your memory is blurry.

I'm not - I assure you. I keep my Twitter free of politics. It's pure football and cat lols. It's not productive trying to argue politics on twitter. I only do that here because despite our disagreements we can still have a laugh

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Posts are only deleted if they don't follow the rules, or quote deleted posts.

That's what I thought.

I find it quite amusing that people think I can have stuff I disagree with removed on a whim.

I've had posts removed too, and quite rightly so where I've breached the forum rules. My instinct is not to blame someone else, but to reflect on where I went wrong. Self-awareness. Maybe we can all try it some day?

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I couldn’t really care much less about the baby story.

What do you want them to say about the trade negotiation? “By the way folks, we’ve started trade talks”

Do you know what’s been going on in the background about the Coronavirus? It could be there has already been planning but they didn’t want to panic everybody.

The flooding is a tricky one and I feel for everyone affected.

Also agree about the alleged bullying. The problem is that there is no route for such civil servants to raise a grievance (or so I believe). I suspect the government’s response, and the resulting public reaction, would have been the same no matter which party was in power.

Trade negotiations:- After the leaked e-mail about the agriculture and fishing industries and what benefit they are to our economy. You have to wonder what our negotiating team are willing to sacrifice in the coming talks. So yes the public need to be talking about the negotiations and voice their opinions on what they want from them. Or should we all sit back and allow Johnson and his cronies carte blanche  on what we end up agreeing to, in our talks with the EU.

Coronavirus:-  If the government had already been discussing how to deal with this problem. Why the sudden need for an emergency meeting and why wait another day before releasing the actions they are planning to take.

Flooding:- Lack of long term spending probably exacerbated the situation, causing there to be more damage and suffering than there should have been.

Bullying:- Imagine if the minister in question had been Diane Abbott. What sort of poo storm would the right-wing media be whipping up right now.

2 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Trade negotiations:- After the leaked e-mail about the agriculture and fishing industries and what benefit they are to our economy. You have to wonder what our negotiating team are willing to sacrifice in the coming talks. So yes the public need to be talking about the negotiations and voice their opinions on what they want from them. Or should we all sit back and allow Johnson and his cronies carte blanche  on what we end up agreeing to, in our talks with tbe EU.

Coronavirus:-  If the government had already been discussing how to deal with this problem. Why the sudden need for an emergency meeting and why wait another day before releasing the actions they are planning to take.

Flooding:- Lack of long term spending probably exacerbated the situation, causing there to be more damage and suffering than there should have been.

Bullying:- Imagine if the minister in question had been Diane Abbott. What sort of poo storm would the right-wing media be whipping up right now.

Trade negotiations - how would you propose the public voice their opinion? A referendum? That would go well. Regardless of what your political persuasion is, you do have to allow the negotiators to represent. It would be impossible to seek the views, let alone gain agreement from a decent majority, from the public on what should or shouldn’t be agreed. If Labour were in power do you honestly think they would be asking us all what we want from the negotiations?

Coronavirus - It was probably always going to be called an “emergency meeting” whether it was today, last week or two weeks ago. With regard to releasing details of actions they are planning, why do they need to have been released already? I guess/hope they have been monitoring the situation and decided now is the time. The virus worries me a great detail, mainly because of my 90 year old father and my 86 year old mum with serious health (heart) issues but, I don’t expect any actions, over and above the existing quarantine arrangements, to be implemented just yet.

Flooding - Agree, lack of investment but also allowing building on flood plains. Whilst things have been getting worse for a long time (global warming?) this year has been much worse than ever. I don’t for example, remember Ironbridge being so badly effected. 

Bullying, again, I agree and I did say I thought the government response and public reaction would have been the same regardless of which party was in power. If it had happened to Diane Abbott then I imagine the poo storm whipped by the right wing media would be similar to that no doubt currently being whipped by the left wing media.

19 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Trade negotiations:- After the leaked e-mail about the agriculture and fishing industries and what benefit they are to our economy. You have to wonder what our negotiating team are willing to sacrifice in the coming talks. So yes the public need to be talking about the negotiations and voice their opinions on what they want from them. Or should we all sit back and allow Johnson and his cronies carte blanche  on what we end up agreeing to, in our talks with the EU.

What makes you think the average Joe Public could bring anything useful to the negotiating table? Don't you think most people are stupid for voting for Brexit in the first place?

Well the emergency meeting was planned last week, so hardly sudden - and I don't envy the Government for trying to be prepared whilst also trying to keep a lid on things & not create panic.....unlike most of the media

If you spend money to prevent flooding in one place, don't you just end up moving the problem to somewhere else?. That water's got to go somewhere & they're called floodplains for a reason.

Why do you seem to think that she's got away with it?. There was loads in the media yesterday.

29 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

If you don't agree, raise it with David.

Not interested mate.....fact is posts were removed and mainly from one particular political spectrum, the posts I’m on about were removed within hours of a leftie threatening to report them....not saying that poster did, but the fact they were removed without an explanation I find repulsive....not to worry tho, as I really can’t be arsed with this leftist ******** forum, I have a nosey now and again maybe pop in a joke, but after reading the same crap I go back to the football forum....COYR

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

Why would they listen to the public? The noisey minority that voted remain would disagree with whatever the government put forward and according to the remainers, the rest of us are either rascist are too stupid to deserve a say.

1 hour ago, BriggRam said:

Not interested mate.....fact is posts were removed and mainly from one particular political spectrum, the posts I’m on about were removed within hours of a leftie threatening to report them....not saying that poster did, but the fact they were removed without an explanation I find repulsive....not to worry tho, as I really can’t be arsed with this leftist ******** forum, I have a nosey now and again maybe pop in a joke, but after reading the same crap I go back to the football forum....COYR

Well, if you are truly repulsed by this "leftist ******** forum", nobody is forcing you to stay. 

2 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

Why do you seem to think that she's got away with it?. There was loads in the media yesterday

Agreed. Hoping to see some accountability. Reports now saying she bullied one DWP staff member to a suicide attempt. Awful if true, but the fact that Boris is giving her unconditional support is worrying. What message does that send

And before people pile on me for the sin of being a leftie, remember that I've seen you having empathy for fellow Rams in the various mental health threads, so you can do it...

7 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Well the baby, wedding thing, certainly seems to have worked in distracting people away from scrutinizing what the government are getting up to.

No talk about the commencement of the trade negotiations with the EU.

No talk about how the government have dragged it's feet and have only now started holding meetings on how they intend to combat a possible crisis regarding the coronavirus.

No talk about the government's handling of the widespread flooding and the ensuing hardship to many communities.

Finally the claim that a senior cabinet minister is bullying their staff . Glibly dismissed by a government spokesman as rubbish. If the claim of bullying was against anyone outside of the government, there'd soon be a call for an enquiry.

So are you saying he knocked his mrs up and decided to marry her purely as a way of distracting from something?

54 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Agreed. Hoping to see some accountability. Reports now saying she bullied one DWP staff member to a suicide attempt. Awful if true, but the fact that Boris is giving her unconditional support is worrying. What message does that send

And before people pile on me for the sin of being a leftie, remember that I've seen you having empathy for fellow Rams in the various mental health threads, so you can do it...

The same employee had previously attempted suicide the year before, before Patel had become her boss, citing similar reasons.

That may suggest the entire culture of that department is unhealthy, rather than the tone set by its political head?

I'd also say mental health is far more nuanced than episodes of workplace disagreement causing such actions as attempts at self harm, they'd more likely be the trigger rather than the reasons for such actions. The straw that broke the camel's back, if you like.                                                                                                                                         It could also be the case that Patel is only following the example she's had to follow as a British Pakistani woman in an overwhelmingly White British male world, having to ape their boorish behaviours just to be taken seriously.                                                                               Most likely though, is that she's just a bit of a Bamford.

38 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

So are you saying he knocked his mrs up and decided to marry her purely as a way of distracting from something?

Nope, the first sentence was referring to a sarcastic post I'd wrote earlier in the thread.

As for the issues raised in the rest of the post, there just a few things that I thought needed to be debated more than the bickering which ensued after a joke about Johnson and his girlfriend was post on here. 

15 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Nope, the first sentence was referring to a sarcastic post I'd wrote earlier in the thread.

As for the issues raised in the rest of the post, there just a few things that I thought needed to be debated more than the bickering which ensued after a joke about Johnson and his girlfriend was post on here. 

Oh right. Aren't jokes meant to be funny? That way we know they're jokes. 

1 hour ago, reverendo de duivel said:

The same employee had previously attempted suicide the year before, before Patel had become her boss, citing similar reasons.

That may suggest the entire culture of that department is unhealthy, rather than the tone set by its political head?

I'd also say mental health is far more nuanced than episodes of workplace disagreement causing such actions as attempts at self harm, they'd more likely be the trigger rather than the reasons for such actions. The straw that broke the camel's back, if you like.                                                                                                                                         It could also be the case that Patel is only following the example she's had to follow as a British Pakistani woman in an overwhelmingly White British male world, having to ape their boorish behaviours just to be taken seriously.                                                                               Most likely though, is that she's just a bit of a Bamford.

Assuming you're using a Windows device then download SharpKeys. It's a free and simple way to remap keys when you lose an important one like 'return / enter'.

3 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

Well I'm hoping that Boris is saying to her that he'll offer his public support but there's a sword over there that she needs to fall on. If he has any sense. Which he probably doesn't.

After overseeing the immigration policy which would have locked the door on her own grandparents (and her, subsequently) I've seen all I need to of her. 

As for the mental health thing, of course I have empathy for anyone in that situation and I'm a bit disappointed that you might thing that I wouldn't. We've sparred on here a few times but I'm not a monster. At very least it needs proper and independent investigation - while she is suspended. At which point she'd have to go anyway IMO

Archived