The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

What the duck is this "whitesplaining" thing I keep seeing? 

Is that where we are heading now? Where being condescending to a person of colour has a new adjective. 

I think it's another term that has reasonable intentions behind it but is just going to piss people off and detract from the message.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Is that where we are heading now? Where being condescending to a person of colour has a new adjective. 

Do you think it's ok to be condescending to a person of colour? Assuming you don't, then why do you care if there is a term for it?

9 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Ah, so what you're actually saying is if white Trots stop talking about racism, black folk might not even know such a thing exists and would most likely live out their days in a sort of transcendental state of ignorant bliss. That makes way more sense. 

What on earth are you going on about if you think that black people are not capable of deciding if they are victims of racism or not and need some white Trot to wake them from their ignorance really proves my point.

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Not quite. It's when white folk explain racism to BAME or mixed race people. 

9 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Hopefully we'll get an adequate deal. It's the minimum I expect after being told it will be the easiest deal in history.

I'm a bit confused though. If we have left, what deal are we getting? I would have preferred us to agree the deal before leaving.

We left on the 31st of January, An agreement of the end of December 2020 to agree a trade deal, Which for the EU would have been somewhat impossible as it took 7 years to strike a trade deal with Canada and only then when the Walloons(Belgium)were paid off for stopping it.

The end of June was the UKs semi deadline, As if there didn't look to be a deal then talks would end.

There's Countries within the EU(Germany, France, Netherlands)who hold alot of influence/demands on the others(financial reasons),That want the UK to still be bound to some of their laws.

We'll find out in 3 weeks to see who blinked 1st.

4 minutes ago, cstand said:

What on earth are you going on about if you think that black people are not capable of deciding if they are victims of racism or not and need some white Trot to wake them from their ignorance really proves my point.

And a very good point it is too ?

giphy.gif

44 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

What? 

You mean that this is a lie? 

1920.jpg

"Leaving would cause business uncertainty, while embroiling the Government for years in a fiddly process of negotiating new arrangements, so diverting energy from the real problems that have nothing to do with Europe."

Boris Johnson, February 2016

7 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Spot on

Just like Mansplaining when showing the Wife how to get somewhere.

PS I'm Divorced...she'd had enough of Mansplaining, Altho I did have to show her which door she should leave by.

4 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

"Leaving would cause business uncertainty, while embroiling the Government for years in a fiddly process of negotiating new arrangements, so diverting energy from the real problems that have nothing to do with Europe."

Boris Johnson, February 2016

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

I once met a nice black fella who said he loved living in the uk too. And those Indians in the curry house are really friendly.

This identity politics makes me sick as I've clearly demonstrated how in all the situations I've experienced BAME people, they were all perfectly fine. Those men who want to be women is a bit different though, eh?

Those men who want to be women......... gay people you forgot them  as well ........ have I worked with them yes, might have actually gone to one of their weddings but I don’t expect you to believe me.

The worse people I have ever worked with are white left wing people who rant all day long about the smashing the Tories and fighting fascism.

Genuine question.

Do you think the BlackLivesMatter movement and the focus on African/Caribbean heritage related issues is relevant/helpful to Britain?

Surely in Britain it's better to be black than Asian. It's better to be black than a black muslim?

In the UK there are more Asian people than black isn't there? I'm sure I read that. 

Asian people aren't black. 

Although getting a bit of a ride on the back of this it's very much about black rights. You can say it isn't but even in this thread we have started using the word black ahead of BAME or ethnic minorities.

Pakistani, Indian and other Asian heritage may benefit from this political statement but when we are so clearly drawing the lines between skin colour then since when have all non whites been treated equally? 

There are race wars in Birmingham. Gangs of Asians fighting gangs of blacks. An Asian isn't just Asian obviously. Indian and Pakistani racism is blatant. 

Who suffers the most in Britain? It's not the blacks or the whites but the Asians and even more specifically the Muslims. 

Obviously before someone overly aggressive whitesplains to me I'm not suggesting that black people should apologise and step down. I'm just asking if those calling for equality have included it in their society

One thing I have seen on this is black on white racism. If we are all going to appear "woke" or whatever the ******** phrase is then let's put all our cards on the table.

21 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Do you think it's ok to be condescending to a person of colour? Assuming you don't, then why do you care if there is a term for it?

No. Yes. I dunno. I can be condescending to anyone as much as anyone else. We all do it

I care because I'm white and the phrase suggests being condescending to a person of colour is somehow motivated by race? I think. I don't really understand it

8 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Genuine question.

Do you think the BlackLivesMatter movement and the focus on African/Caribbean heritage related issues is relevant/helpful to Britain?

Surely in Britain it's better to be black than Asian. It's better to be black than a black muslim?

In the UK there are more Asian people than black isn't there? I'm sure I read that. 

Asian people aren't black. 

Although getting a bit of a ride on the back of this it's very much about black rights. You can say it isn't but even in this thread we have started using the word black ahead of BAME or ethnic minorities.

Pakistani, Indian and other Asian heritage may benefit from this political statement but when we are so clearly drawing the lines between skin colour then since when have all non whites been treated equally? 

There are race wars in Birmingham. Gangs of Asians fighting gangs of blacks. An Asian isn't just Asian obviously. Indian and Pakistani racism is blatant. 

Who suffers the most in Britain? It's not the blacks or the whites but the Asians and even more specifically the Muslims. 

Obviously before someone overly aggressive whitesplains to me I'm not suggesting that black people should apologise and step down. I'm just asking if those calling for equality have included it in their society

One thing I have seen on this is black on white racism. If we are all going to appear "woke" or whatever the ******** phrase is then let's put all our cards on the table.

Is there not room for more than one cause? Your argument seems to be like saying that 'breast cancer is more dangerous than prostate cancer, so what's the point in Movember?'.

5 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I care because I'm white and the phrase suggests being condescending to a person of colour is somehow motivated by race? I think. I don't really understand it

I think it's more that a BAME person is almost certainly going to have a much better understanding of the issues BAME people face than white people, so a white person telling them otherwise is a bit condescending.

19 minutes ago, cstand said:

The worse people I have ever worked with are white left wing people who rant all day long about the smashing the Tories and fighting fascism.

Yay!!! I'm not white so we can still be friends after all ?

giphy.gif

29 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I think it's more that a BAME person is almost certainly going to have a much better understanding of the issues BAME people face than white people, so a white person telling them otherwise is a bit condescending.

Nailed it. We might as well complete the set now...

blacksplain

Jump to navigationJump to search

English[edit]

Etymology[edit]

Blend of black +‎ explain

Verb[edit]

blacksplain (third-person singular simple present blacksplains, present participle blacksplaining, simple past and past participle blacksplained)

(slang) Of a black person in a group with non-black people: to explain some concept which is very common in black culture while assuming the non-black members of the group do not understand.

56 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

30 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Right. The context I saw it in wasn't like that. I saw it about Martin Luther King and a white person explaining to a black person what he set out to achieve and how. 

He was told he was whitesplaining. Which he wasn't. He was actually sticking to facts and actual events and never gave an opinion

Just now, Alpha said:

Right. The context I saw it in wasn't like that. I saw it about Martin Luther King and a white person explaining to a black person what he set out to achieve and how. 

He was told he was whitesplaining. Which he wasn't. He was actually sticking to facts and actual events and never gave an opinion

That's where the term becomes problematic, as there are no set boundaries as to where it can be used. Like 'mansplaining', there are times where it's applicable, but its misuse probably causes more issues than it solves.

FWIW, I'd say using it in debates like the MLK example above is a misuse of the term, but a white bloke telling a black bloke that racism doesn't exist certainly isn't.

Archived