The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

Just now, Van der MoodHoover said:

You should of course get multiple inputs - and if possible establish a plausible range rather than a single (potentially doom laden) point estimate......that is quite correct.

But then there should be nothing wrong with you sharing that analysis at a high level and being prepared to back up why you have gone low or gone high.

Too often you suspect that people simply cherry pick the view that gives then least short term grief and then present it as "the" truth.........it is a poor behaviour.

One particularly frustrating project sponsor berated me that my risk assessment was all "doom and gloom" and "why can't we think positive?"

He wanted a risk assessment that didn't focus on risks. 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In other news, the tiny-handed tango man has stated that anything under 100,000 deaths in the US would be a 'very good job' whilst simultaneously extending the US lockdown to April 30th. In the same briefing he then goes on to say, “And so, if we could hold that down, as we’re saying, to 100,000 – it’s a horrible number, maybe even less, but to 100,000, so we have between 100 [thousand] and 200,000 – we altogether have done a very good job.” So, put simply, 100,000 deaths (or it might be 200,000) and Donny will be well chuffed with his performance, as I'm sure will be his fellow Americans.

Asked about his 'beautiful timeline' as he dubbed it in a briefing only 3 days earlier, whereby America would be back up and running by Easter, the president stated that much like the NHS bus slogan here in the UK, his claims were 'purely aspirational'. 

And in another extraordinary twist of fate here in the UK, Dominic Cummings has now succumbed to Coronavirus (or 'Chinese flu for the hard of reading) leaving the government's most influential political adviser, chief medical officer, health secretary and of course, our erstwhile PM himself, all in self-isolation at the same time, this after all four fell ill within the same 48 hour period. Quite remarkable! 

Some wags have suggested this might be an indication that government ministers have failed to observe the self-distancing guidelines they themselves prescribed, but a source close to the cabinet revealed that in fact, they all caught the virus from Michel Barnier, so the blame lies squarely with the EU.

Meanwhile, other rumours are circulating inferring that all of the aforementioned are in fact hiding in meteorite bunkers 'hollowed out of Snowdonia and the Cairngorms' but at time of writing, these reports remain unconfirmed.

More news at 10...

12 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

One particularly frustrating project sponsor berated me that my risk assessment was all "doom and gloom" and "why can't we think positive?"

He wanted a risk assessment that didn't focus on risks. 

The challenge is to turn risk into opportunity. In my current company, the overseas parent has issued quite an enlightened edict in risk terms......it wants us to focus on the really important which is an estimate of capital needs over the rest of the year, now that financial markets are in turmoil. Forget the 5 year strategic plan for now.

Their thesis is they believe they have significant spare capital. If it can be demonstrated that although earnings may be trashed (hence share price halved) the solvency is solid, then they can deploy spare capital to pick up assets cheaply from more distressed companies.

Projects is more difficult as everyone is so focussed on delivery, i admit.

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

In other news, the tiny-handed tango man has stated that anything under 100,000 deaths in the US would be a 'very good job' whilst simultaneously extending the US lockdown to April 30th. In the same briefing he then goes on to say, “And so, if we could hold that down, as we’re saying, to 100,000 – it’s a horrible number, maybe even less, but to 100,000, so we have between 100 [thousand] and 200,000 – we altogether have done a very good job.” So, put simply, 100,000 deaths (or it might be 200,000) and Donny will be well chuffed with his performance, as I'm sure will be his fellow Americans.

Asked about his 'beautiful timeline' as he dubbed it in a briefing only 3 days earlier, whereby America would be back up and running by Easter, the president stated that much like the NHS bus slogan here in the UK, his claims were 'purely aspirational'. 

And in another extraordinary twist of fate here in the UK, Dominic Cummings has now succumbed to Coronavirus (or 'Chinese flu for the hard of reading) leaving the government's most influential political adviser, chief medical officer, health secretary and of course, our erstwhile PM himself, all in self-isolation at the same time, this after all four fell ill within the same 48 hour period. Quite remarkable! 

Some wags have suggested this might be an indication that government ministers have failed to observe the self-distancing guidelines they themselves prescribed, but a source close to the cabinet revealed that in fact, they all caught the virus from Michel Barnier, so the blame lies squarely with the EU.

Meanwhile, other rumours are circulating inferring that all of the aforementioned are in fact hiding in meteorite bunkers 'hollowed out of Snowdonia and the Cairngorms' but at time of writing, these reports remain unconfirmed.

More news at 10...

After the US Congress passed it's economic stimulus bill that gifted major US companies billions nay trillions of Dollars. The Orange one was able to extend his beautiful time line for when thing would be back to normal, without the fear of crashing the Wall Street stock market.

30 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

After the US Congress passed it's economic stimulus bill that gifted major US companies billions nay trillions of Dollars. The Orange one was able to extend his beautiful time line for when thing would be back to normal, without the fear of crashing the Wall Street stock market.

One thing I noticed when Trump signed off on his package, it was in front of about 10 stuffed shirts all standing shoulder to shoulder and grinning inanely. No distancing there.

Then just to add a bit more body contact Trump delved into a box on his desk and personally handed each suit a souvenir pen (presume not a cigar).

26 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

One thing I noticed when Trump signed off on his package, it was in front of about 10 stuffed shirts all standing shoulder to shoulder and grinning inanely. No distancing there.

Then just to add a bit more body contact Trump delved into a box on his desk and personally handed each suit a souvenir pen (presume not a cigar).

was a free testing kit....?

During this present crisis our government, the media and most of the world are calling the virus that's caused it the coronavirus or covid 19. The only people I've heard call it the Chinese Flu is the Trump administration in America. This appears to be purely politically motivated move on Trumps part. Trump needs someone to point the finger at, blaming them for the crisis in the USA and to stop any blame falling on him. 

So I'm puzzled as to why posters on the Coronavirus thread have also started to refer to it as Chinese Flu. Have they also got a political agenda for doing so.

11 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

During this present crisis our government, the media and most of the world are calling the virus that's caused it the coronavirus or covid 19. The only people I've heard call it the Chinese Flu is the Trump administration in America. This appears to be purely politically motivated move on Trumps part. Trump needs someone to point the finger at, blaming them for the crisis in the USA and to stop any blame falling on him. 

So I'm puzzled as to why posters on the Coronavirus thread have also started to refer to it as Chinese Flu. Have they also got a political agenda for doing so.

Whilst it's more commonly known as Coronavirus or Covid-19 here in the UK it was known as Wuhan Flu or Chinese Flu certainly to begin with by the media in the US - only when Trump started calling it Chinese Flu did they decide the term was racist.  Personally I don't care what its called, just highlighting the media hypocrisy.

16 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

No, we were having a laugh until Gboro decided to have yet another purge.

However you are correct, it is political on the part of governments. The US will impose sanctions on China and so too will the almighty and beloved EU, just like they both have in the past. 

The CCP are to blame for this. 

34 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

FFS it is nothing to do with the flu, whether it is Chinese or not, otherwise we could develop a vaccine straight away. This is a totally different beast.

Not sure what your point is tbh.

I was replying to a recurring statement on this forum that coronavirus has only been called Chinese Flu by Trump et al, when it was clearly called both that and Wuhan Flu routinely by the media in the weeks leading up to the current politically correct outrage. 

9 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I was replying to a recurring statement on this forum that coronavirus has only been called Chinese Flu by Trump et al, when it was clearly called both that and Wuhan Flu routinely by the media in the weeks leading up to the current politically correct outrage. 

My point is that it is not ducking flu.

32 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

No, we were having a laugh until Gboro decided to have yet another purge.

However you are correct, it is political on the part of governments. The US will impose sanctions on China and so too will the almighty and beloved EU, just like they both have in the past. 

The CCP are to blame for this. 

Glad you can find some humour during this crisis.

No sure why you're blaming the CCP. Looking at their website they appear to be doing a sterling job.https://www.ccp.org.uk

5 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Me and friends have referred to it more as Wuhan Flu, Chinese Flu, Kung flu, Chinese Corona than we have Covid-19 or Coronavirus. 

We'll continue to call it what the hell we want to ?

23 minutes ago, maxjam said:

The BBC were in both camps back in the day.

55 minutes ago, maxjam said:

No it wasn't. I'd never heard it called Chinese Flu or Wuhan Flu at all until the orange one said it. Have a day off mate

Archived