The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

You may not have heard of it being called Wuhan Flu or Chinese Flu before Trump said it but that doesn't mean it wasn't. 

Literally 10 posts before yours there is a video showing how frequently it was called both.

Have a day off?  Maybe take your head from out of the sand.

We have to run everything past @SchtivePesley for fact checking... Don’t you know the forum rules yet?

He knows everything.. Unless he knows nothing, then the laughing emoji comes out. That normally means he’s out of his depth.. 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I'm looking forward to when a gun nut in the US shoots a Korean for causing this virus. Or some Tommy Robinson wannabes torch a Chinese takeaway owned by 3rd generation Chinese immigrants.

My missus works in a University - where they have a lot of chinese students. The number of racist incidents against them reported in February was nearly 100 - compared to the usual (zero).  I guess some weak-minded people just need to have an "other"  to project their fears onto, when they can't rationalise what a viral disease actually means. Same people who used to call AIDS the "gay plague".

2 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

How can i NOT be out of my depth when the strength of the arguments I'm faced with is so powerful? 

Every day I learn that Angry is wise, Manx is all seeing, Norman is beyond his years with intellect and GStar, is GStar.

FIFY

13 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

My missus works in a University - where they have a lot of chinese students. The number of racist incidents against them reported in February was nearly 100 - compared to the usual (zero).  I guess some weak-minded people just need to have an "other"  to project their fears onto, when they can't rationalise what a viral disease actually means. Same people who used to call AIDS the "gay plague".

Nearly 100 you say. Nearer 001 I suspect, but that wouldn’t have been sensational enough I guess for the argument you want to make. 

p.s. Not defending Trump, the man is an absolute tool, but he didn’t start referring to Chinese Flu until around 11th or 12th of March. Maybe @maxjam might be right about previous media reporting of this matter given the “apparent” issues Chinese students were experiencing throughout February.

20 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Nearly 100 you say. Nearer 001 I suspect, but that wouldn’t have been sensational enough I guess for the argument you want to make. 

p.s. Not defending Trump, the man is an absolute tool, but he didn’t start referring to Chinese Flu until around 11th or 12th of March. Maybe @maxjam might be right about previous media reporting of this matter given the “apparent” issues Chinese students were experiencing throughout February.

Must have been Johnsons fault then, after all he knew about the virus 6 weeks before it was even reported, probably gave him and Cummings chance to plan their racist strategy.

7 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Did you read this article before you Googled and posted it?  Some laughable reporting, by a Journalist who seems to revel in wanting to stir the pot. I wonder if he is looking forward to the first Chinese student being shot. Probably, although he no doubt took that out of the final print copy thinking that is a tad too far.

40 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

We have to run everything past @SchtivePesley for fact checking... Don’t you know the forum rules yet?

He knows everything.. Unless he knows nothing, then the laughing emoji comes out. That normally means he’s out of his depth.. 

Others have begun to adopt the same approach. I might join in ?

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Did you read this article before you Googled and posted it?  Some laughable reporting, by a Journalist who seems to revel in wanting to stir the pot. I wonder if he is looking forward to the first Chinese student being shot. Probably, although he no doubt took that out of the final print copy thinking that is a tad too far.

The bit where they wound down the window and sneezed is some of the worst racism I've ever read about to be fair. Makes me ashamed to be white.

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

I posted the article merely to illustrate that @SchtivePesley's claims have at least some basis in fact. Whether you choose to acknowledge as much or not is of less interest to me than you suppose.

1 minute ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I posted the article merely to illustrate that @SchtivePesley's claims have at least some basis in fact. Whether you choose to acknowledge as much or not is of less interest to me than you suppose.

They would have some basis if the article you posted actually displayed any sign of racism other than the use of the word in the title...

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The bit where they wound down the window and sneezed is some of the worst racism I've ever read about to be fair. Makes me ashamed to be white.

“Many Chinese students are now fleeing back to China, and I have been struggling to make a decision” said the one student on which the whole headline was based. Click bait shizzle.

Archived