The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Norman said:

Yeah, but you do. Don't lie. 

What about the thousands of advisors? Do they have blood on their hands. Or is it just Boris because you don't like him or some of his policies before any of this happened. 

Please don't reply in a manner in which you wouldn't normally speak, please.

Nobody starts an actual sentence with 'notwithstanding' . 

Turns out that Barnier is responsible for spreading it to Boris. Bloody EU.

That's a very odd request.  Why not just let people speak and write as they wish.  At least the request was polite I suppose ?

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Italy were doing us a favour in been ahead of the curve. We sat back and watched, making sure everyone could have a big blow out before going into partial lockdown. This was when 100s were dying each day in Italy.

Besides, we are Britain (aka England). We are just better than Johnny Foreigner and so should be able to deal with a crisis far better than those other places. Stiff upper lip and all that.

Disaster and emergency planning should be core to what a government does. I'm sure Italy and Spain have the same problems with their leaders as us. Average people with little real experience of planning and making the right decisions when the pressure is on. Being a CEO of a large business would be good experience. Being in charge of a large Hospital would be good experience. Being in charge of a Trade Union would be good experience.

Being a journalist who was fired from the Telegraph for making up stories is not good experience.

I think the UK is guilty of doing the same thing nearly every other country in the world has done.  Not acting quickly enough.  There was a delay in shutting schools, which was surely a mistake, and some dangerous nonsense about 'herd immunity' being mentioned for a while ( a valid epidemiological concept but not at all helpful or applicable during an outbreak of a contagious and deadly virus for which there is no vaccine).  But all countries are making their own mistakes, and everyone bar Taiwan/Korea/China haven't acted quickly or effectively enough it seems. 

Just now, Highgate said:

I think the UK is guilty of doing the same thing nearly every other country in the world has done.  Not acting quickly enough.  There was a delay in shutting schools, which was surely a mistake, and some dangerous nonsense about 'herd immunity' being mentioned for a while ( a valid epidemiological concept but not at all helpful or applicable during an outbreak of a contagious and deadly virus for which there is no vaccine).  But all countries are making their own mistakes, and everyone bar Taiwan/Korea/China haven't acted quickly or effectively enough it seems. 

I was disappointed that other countries were testing temperatures of visitors before letting them across the border. As an island, surely that would have made sense for us to copy? 

10 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I was disappointed that other countries were testing temperatures of visitors before letting them across the border. As an island, surely that would have made sense for us to copy? 

That would have made sense alright and would have helped reduce the number of contagious people entering Britain.  But it wouldn't have caught those that had the virus but were yet to develop a high temperature.  So many infected people could still have slipped through.

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

I suppose it makes a better headline than 'Michael Gove talks facts about China' and will appeal to the Guardian's readership better.  Gotta get those lovely clicks.

Meanwhile, also found in the Guardian a week or so earlier...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/20/chinese-inquiry-exonerates-coronavirus-whistleblower-doctor-li-wenliang

I wouldn't trust the Chinese Government to cook a meal, They're after World domination and will be even more stronger when all is over, Remember they're holding over a million Muslims in so called re education centres...we call them prisons,

And

https://www.euronews.com/2020/03/29/netherlands-recalls-hundreds-of-thousands-of-defective-chinese-face-masks

12 minutes ago, TramRam said:

I wouldn't trust the Chinese Government to cook a meal, They're after World domination and will be even more stronger when all is over

They might be for a few months, but sanctions are coming. This is their Chernobyl. 

1 hour ago, King Kevin said:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/the-coronavirus-crisis-has-brought-the-eus-failings-into-sharp-relief/ar-BB11RNfv

The entire Continent is unhappy with the way things are being handled .This is ultimately an article by the Guardian so no bias here.

You're not getting this are you?

We can find excuses for all other countries.

Ultimately it is only Boris and Trump that are handling this really badly!

17 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You're not getting this are you?

We can find excuses for all other countries.

Ultimately it is only Boris and Trump that are handling this really badly!

Now Trump is handling it badly. But that was to be expected.  He can't even manage social distancing at the press conferences about the coronavirus.   Why does everyone have to stand shoulder to shoulder in the background?  Is the photo-op that important, more important than setting an example on social distancing?

I'm sure other leaders are also doing inexplicably badly too.  I shudder to think what Bolsanaro is up to in Brazil. 

1 minute ago, Highgate said:

Now Trump is handling it badly. But that was to be expected.  He can't even manage social distancing at the press conferences about the coronavirus.   Why does everyone have to stand shoulder to shoulder in the background?  Is the photo-op that important, more important than setting an example on social distancing?

I'm sure other leaders are also doing inexplicably badly too.  I shudder to think what Bolsanaro is up to in Brazil. 

The way the media portray the leaders is in no way representative of the way they are handling the situation.

Only the end numbers will prove who has handled the situation best.

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The way the media portray the leaders is in no way representative of the way they are handling the situation.

Only the end numbers will prove who has handled the situation best.

That's true to an extent.  Although, we can't just dismiss all media reporting as 'fake news' or biased.  For starters some of it simply reports or shows a leader speaking about the subject themselves.  Surely any leader is responsible for their own words and actions, regardless of who reported it.

The numbers will prove a lot I guess, although some countries have unfair disadvantages so we can't compare them all equally.  Italy got a lot of infected people before other nations it seems, giving them a serious problem while others still had the chance to react.  Other countries are suffering from having a high population density or being a cog in a global transport hub...while other 'quieter' regions will have a better chance to isolate.  So it won't be as simple as just looking at the numbers when all this awfulness is over. 

3 hours ago, maxjam said:

Agree now is not the time for arguing, lets tackle the problem now and learn from it at a later date.

We've all known something like this was an inevitability but I guess in a similar way to individually thinking we're all gonna live forever nothing was done cos it was a problem for some future generation.  Here's hoping NASA are taking note and are coming up with plans to deflect the inevitable asteroid with our name on it...

Doubt NASA will be too bothered, they know Boris and Trump will get the blame if we get hit by an asteroid anyway.

Archived