Hamer

DCFC27

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TimRam said:

Brave for that 2nd one. Good stuff.

Have to say, i don't think Roos would have pulled off some of the basic collections of the ball he did from crosses into the box. Add to that the double save late on and the position is his for me. 

Got a lot of bad press before he had even started a game - most of it based on other fans views on their forums.

Despite one heart in mouth moment last night (came to collect a ball that was never going to be his and missed) I don’t think he’s let us down at all yet - looked hesitant in coming for the ball in first few games but seems to be growing in confidence game by game - last nights double save earned us 2pts (preserved all 3) hopefully this will continue.

The double save won us the points last night and I applauded Hamer like he scored a goal, but this shouldn’t paper over the cracks in the goalkeeping department.

His decision making is probably better than Roos but his distribution isn’t. A friend of mine who’s a Leicester fan said we’d always concede goals with Hamer in goal as he’s just ‘one of those keepers that’s unlucky’.

Hamer’s record over the past few seasons which included a Premier League stint at Huddersfield, means that he has conceded 74 goals in 38 games in 5 seasons (inc. this one to date).

Thats an average of 1.9 goals per game conceded. He’s currently averaging 1.3 this season, so you could say he’s improving.

For reference, I’ve also looked at the goals per game average of...

Roos (last two season) - 1.16 - 49 goals from 42 games

Carson (last two seasons) - 1.26 - 91 goals from 72 games

The defence bears the responsibility of keeping clean sheets too, but Derby really do need to pick and back a goalkeeper who’s got the lot.

my Barometer for a goalkeeper is how many points they earn or cost u a season 

as it stands Its fair to say I think Roos is probably in negative equity atm where as after last night Hamer is in the positive 

still a long way to go compared to the likes of poom who would single handedly earn us 10-12 points a season 

but bravo mr Hamer 

One thing i noticed last night was on corners he was telling defenders where to stand & who to mark. I know its standard stuff for a keeper but its something we missed. I felt we never had that with Roos. That bit of organising & with wisdom & Clarke on the pitch i didnt have that nervous 'were going to let one in' feeling that i usually have when we concede a corner. 

2 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Nothing wrong with the distribution when he put Marriott one-on-one with the keeper. Earned an assist, that one. 

Absolutely! How can anyone criticise him on last nights showing. The bloke did well.

I’ll judge him on his performance in a Derby shirt, not some other teams fans opinions. So far he’s been consistent and that double save was as good as anything we’ve seen of late from Roos or Carson, Grant etc.

Some mention distribution, yet a lot of the time when we get pressed to go long, it comes straight back when Martin’s not playing, so that can make his distribution look worse. Hamer has has been decent since he’s been in.

There are other priorities than goalkeeper right now, even if he goes and drops a clanger somewhere down the line; for me he's doing the basics of the job better than Roos. Deserves his place and some credit for saving us a few points last 2 games.

He’s not the long term solution but it was his general calmness last night that helps breed confidence at the back. There was the one flap very late on but felt far more confident with him between the sticks. With Clarke too, the whole defensive unit looked far happier.

Hamer looks to be the opposite of Roos. He organises well and is good at crosses. Where he's looked weak is in shot stopping. That said, there's been a definite improvement in the last two games. Maybe he was just rusty, which is understandable, and he'll be a solid keeper for us.

Archived