Max Lowe

MackworthRamIsGod

We ended the game with 4 academy players on the pitch, 3 of which were outstanding today.

Obvious plaudits go to Knight, but I honestly thought Max Lowe was immense today, in fact both him and Wisdom were excellent.

Lampard knew there was a player in Max, unfortunately it didn't quite work out, but there is a reason he was so highly rated within the club and England youth setup. 

I thoroughly enjoyed that game and there were so many great individual performances, but I really enjoyed watching Max Lowe more than put a shift in.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

We ended the game with 4 academy players on the pitch, 3 of which were outstanding today.

Obvious plaudits go to Knight, but I honestly thought Max Lowe was immense today, in fact both him and Wisdom were excellent.

Lampard knew there was a player in Max, unfortunately it didn't quite work out, but there is a reason he was so highly rated within the club and England youth setup. 

I thoroughly enjoyed that game and there were so many great individual performances, but I really enjoyed watching Max Lowe more than put a shift in.

Best thing about the performance was that it was excellent in both directions. He was a lot closer to his man than at Wigan and dealt with the threat down the right wing very efficiently. Going forward, he oozed confidence, knocked it around comfortably in midfield & made countless little runs to drag defenders away. 

Once he adds consistent delivery to his game Premiership teams will be chucking bids at us. Our first choice LB as far as I'm concerned.

Thought Wisdom was also excellent - not just strong & calm at the back but put in some real quality from the flank. Reminded me of the player we had in 13/14

Agree entirely. Won’t be the man who grabs the headlines, but it was another very good performance by Lowe to add to his collection from this season. Was excellent driving forward, cutting inside and playing some decent passes, and was also more than solid defensively- He worked hard at both ends of the pitch, keeping their winger in the main very quiet. Really put the hard yards in, and his performance shouldn’t go unnoticed. I’ll be fuming if he’s dropped for Malone again. 

The Loan looks to have done him the world of good. He’s still got the odd lax pass in him, but if he cuts those out he really could be a top drawer full back at this level. He’s got the pace and quality on the ball going forward, as well as pretty damn good reading of the game in defence as well. Really good all round technical footballer. Always thought he had the potential, but he’s really shaping it this season.

Lowe was excellent against Charlton and I will give you three reasons that helped

1 - Charlton didn’t really attack us

2 - he didn’t have Lawrence in front of him losing the ball all the time 

3 - we had wisdom on the right who can actually defend meaning lowe could attack knowing we will still have defenders at the back just like what used to happen with Forsyth and wisdom at full back.

12 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Spot on. Max was brilliant. Great footwork and huge energy.

However, I wouldn’t blame Mel if he spent the day today in a huge bath, smoking a big cigar and sipping champagne. He’s finally seeing his vision, energy and persistence come to fruition, not to mention his very considerable financial outlay. 
At the risk of obsequiousness, we are so lucky in Derbyshire to have Mel. He will leave a legacy of outstanding service to football and Derby County in particular. I have winced on occasion at some of the charges levelled at Mel but I suspect he will rightly take a quiet and inward self congratulation as the game unfolded last night. Those young guys are Mel’s creation. 

Played very well. Solid at the back and a real threat going forward. 
We were talking throughout the game how Knight was a massive help there. Both going forward and defensively compared to what’s come before. 

As Lowe drove forward, Knight was running away from him pulling the full backs away and Bird was creating that triangle in the middle. Those 3 were great together. 
Without the ball Knight was tracking back filling in the space and Lowe was rarely left 2 on 1 as our left back usually is. 

Makes a difference going forward when the wide player isn’t either hiding from play or running down blind alleys.  

19 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

The drives inside is not something he did under previous regimes and it’s refreshing to see. Keeps the defenders guessing 

I disagree, he used to always cut inside and became predictable. Now though he mixes his game up and goes on the outside of his man too which is where he keeps defenders guessing. Played really well last night, him Knight & Bird particularly are starting to look like young men in the team rather than boys. People question Cocu on who he has improved, those 3 are a start.

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

If we’d kept him here last season, he wouldn’t be half the player he is now. A full season of (semi) competitive first team football has done him a world of good.

All true but to be fair Scottish football is very competitive 

Archived