v Barnsley (H) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Justa said:

He made the changes - we have no out ball just defending - who else’s fault is that ?!!?

We had no out-ball before the changes. 

Sure you could bring Martin on to be able to be targeted by passes but really we need our lone man at times like this to be able to press the Barnsley defenders. Which Whittaker was doing; he stopped Barnsley from building 4 or 5 times and forced them back to their keeper.

Anyway, enough about you being wrong ? FT 2-1

Lowe MOTM; Almost everything Rooney did was great. Set pieces are threatening again. A good performance all round. 

Phew. To be honest, I thought we’d need a third. Barnsley are a good honest team who I wish well but I feared Cocu’s substitutions were going to come back and bite us on the bum.

That said, 6 points from these two games this week won’t do us any harm. Well done all concerned. ?

1 minute ago, jimbo jones said:

I’m assuming from this thread Barnsley are now 3-2 up?

So you aren’t watching ??

We made that sorry Phil made that harder than it needed be

And I’m not saying Cocu out but I am allowed to question !

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

We had no out-ball before the changes. 

Sure you could bring Martin on to be able to be targeted by passes but really we need our lone man at times like this to be able to press the Barnsley defenders. Which Whittaker was doing; he stopped Barnsley from building 4 or 5 times and forced them back to their keeper.

Martin could have done that and more, defend corners, hold the ball, etc. Nope didn't see the need to gamble Whittaker and he's done very little. 

Our inability to score goals this season is really frustrating. Most of the games we've just not created enough to justify more goals but there's also been several occasions like tonight where we should put the game to bed after 60 minutes. Great with back to back wins though. We need the points and confidence. But I hope there's extra shooting drills in the training the coming weeks.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

It's Barnsley they're down the bottom of the league ffs.

And based on chances created we should have won 6-1. It's not unusual for a trailing team to be better at the end. The changes maintained the support for a full backs (Knight with his infinite engine replacing a blowing Waghorn on the right), Malone coming in to support Lowe. 

Whittaker replaced the knackered Marriott so we had someone to chase balls over the top, that just weren't delivered. 

That wasn't the time for Martin for me, if that's people's complaints. We needed our lone-man to be charging between defenders - give them no time. 

Archived