Jason Knight Knight Knight

Day

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn’t realise everyone else beat me to the song off!

In all seriousness, one thing that struck me with Bird and Knight was how positionally astute they were defensively. A few times Knight stopped the through ball out wide by just holding his position. Clever play you maybe wouldn’t expect from the youth players in a senior game

9 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Didn’t realise everyone else beat me to the song off!

In all seriousness, one thing that struck me with Bird and Knight was how positionally astute they were defensively. A few times Knight stopped the through ball out wide by just holding his position. Clever play you maybe wouldn’t expect from the youth players in a senior game

We've lacked what I call football intelligence this season but the young lads showed they'd got it tonight.

1 hour ago, RamLad1884 said:

Sibley/Knight is the Hendrick/Hughes situation all over again. Hughes was a pretty footballer but Hendrick scored the goals, Knight may not be the most technically gifted player but he gets stuck right in. 

Knight is technically gifted.

1 minute ago, maxjam said:

A good game tonight, don't blame him for going for his hattrick but was screaming at him to run it into the corner!

Nigel, is that really you?

He should have squared it for a tap in, but you gotta love the confidence in taking a shot.

55 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Cracking performances from the two youngsters Knight and Bird. I dont think Bird put a foot wrong did he? 

Agreed! Knight will take a lot of the plaudits, and not undeservedly, but Max Bird was bloody magnificent tonight, a real coming of age for him after some mediocre performances prior to this. The boy became a man.

(He'll be tweeting about this later... chortle)

5 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Nigel, is that really you?

He should have squared it for a tap in, but you gotta love the confidence in taking a shot.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Wouldnt have needed to if Whittaker had given him a half decent pass to be fair!

Can't really remember what happened tbh, I'll have to watch it back again tomorrow. I just recall Charlton immediately running up the pitch and thinking 'here we go...'

Ah well, all's well that ends well.  Bring on Barnsley... and Rooney ?

Reminds me of a cross between Bryson and Jeff. All being well I think he’ll end up being your archetypal Championship goal-scoring midfielder/lower-Premiership midfield runner. Couple of decent years away from that but whilst we’re a side in transition I’d have him playing week in, week out. 

Just now, maxjam said:

Can't really remember what happened tbh, I'll have to watch it back again tomorrow. I just recall Charlton immediately running up the pitch and thinking 'here we go...'

Ah well, all's well that ends well.  Bring on Barnsley... and Rooney ?

We were 3 on 1 and Whittaker should have put it on a plate for either Knight or Holmes? As it was he played a poor ball to Knight who still managed to get a shot away.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

We were 3 on 1 and Whittaker should have put it on a plate for either Knight or Holmes? As it was he played a poor ball to Knight who still managed to get a shot away.

Yeah I recall us rushing forwards in numbers and a fairly tame shot followed by an immediate Charlton attack, it all went a bit mental around me with a sense of the inevitable last gasp equaliser.  I'll watch the highlights tomorrow safe in the knowledge that everything worked out okay!

Have to admit, I wasn’t sure about him after his first few appearances in the first team. Obviously a highly rated talent at his age, and to reach the first team squad is damn good going, but I wasn’t entirely sure he was ready yet. I Wasn’t seeing what everyone else was obviously seeing. Not that I thought he was awful or anything, he was always better than Dowell, but I just didn’t really see what he offered. He just seemed a bit ineffective to me, and in need of a loan maybe to experience more senior football.

But no, tonight, I saw it. He was absolutely excellent. Absolutely everywhere, his effort massively stood out after the dross we’ve had to watch in recent weeks. He was pressing intelligently, make I gotta intelligent decisions on the ball, and just generally showing that he really does have a footballing brain, as well as some excellent technique when carrying the ball. And his movement! His ducking movement! Finally, FINALLY, there was someone making the intelligent runs and finding space! Was it so hard for the others?! That for me was the best part of Knights performance today, and was the biggest reason for our improved attacking threat today. 7 shots on target which is the most for a long while I’d think. And for me, it was mainly down to us finally having some bloody options to pass to in the final third, rather than everyone being hidden behind defenders leaving us with duck all options! That was so impressive from Knight, and it had such a massive impact, that he thoroughly deserved that MOM award, especially with that brace to boot!

Of course, this is one game, and he’s only 18, so we shouldn’t get too excited and heap loads of pressure on him. He’s still incredibly young and has a lot of development to do, which is of course very exciting, but it does mean there’s a possibility he won’t be good enough just yet to be ready for regular, consistent performances at senior level. But equally, “Knights” like these can often be what kickstarts a players career. So let’s hope the confidence he’ll have gained tonight will mean he drives on from here and becomes our next big academy graduate! He’s certainly the first name on the team sheet on Thursday, would be mental if he isn’t. Let’s see how he kicks on from here!

Archived