GET CLOUGH BACK, MEL!

Hotter

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Squid said:

Never said someones a lesser fan but at the end of the day he’s here for the long term, like it or lump it.

I disagree with the high ticket prices and feel 20 is plenty.

I agree we’re going through a poo stage at the mo but it is going to get better.

It's clearly implied, you can go over semantics of what you exactly said but the implication is clear. You have no right to tell fans to go support Forest, I see this kind of poo all the time on twitter, luckily it doesn't transfer to the forum very often but it's always absolutely ridiculous when it does. Whether you agree with them or not, it's just a ducking ridiculous way to put across a point. 

In your opinion, it's going to get better. When we're in relegation form at the bottom of this poo league, fans have a right to give a negative opinion. What other team in this league would get 26-27k attendances when in such poo circumstances? Fans have a right to be angry. We've been mismanaged. 

I kind of see where the OP is coming from, since we haven't really progressed since Nigel was sacked. Not sure that going back will make any difference. 

We are now an established championship club, that's where we are, and we as fans can't complain at the amount of drama the club has served up. Albeit mostly away from the field of play. 

22 minutes ago, Hotter said:

Assuming he is he better longer term option to Clough, which I don't believe he is.

It’s fine that you don’t believe he is, but everything suggests you’re wrong. Cocu is a winner, both as a player and a manager. Clough played for Forest and won the Brian Clough trophy a couple of times.

He gave us stability and consistency - consistently lower mid table and near the relegation zone. The past 6 years we have been at the right end of the table and had some good moments. Not sure we regret it at all.

Cocu needs the same time Clough had, and I bet he can do more than Clough did

3 minutes ago, r4derby said:

It’s fine that you don’t believe he is, but everything suggests you’re wrong. Cocu is a winner, both as a player and a manager. Clough played for Forest and won the Brian Clough trophy a couple of times.

He gave us stability and consistency - consistently lower mid table and near the relegation zone. The past 6 years we have been at the right end of the table and had some good moments. Not sure we regret it at all.

Cocu needs the same time Clough had, and I bet he can do more than Clough did

Clough left the next manager with something to work with. Every manager since has basically had the squad developed by Clough to work with up until Lampard. Lampard made 3 excellent loans but his actually signings have not been good at all. Cocu has inherited a mess, no question but he doesn't have DCFC in his blood, NC does. Get him back, let me do it all over again but this time let him finish the job!

42 minutes ago, Hotter said:

He could though, it took him a long time but he was n the cusp and Rush sacked him. Huge mistake!

And you want to sack a manager after how long. 

I wonder what the team will look like when Cocu is given the same amount of time.

Conor Sammon, Chris Maguire, Nathan Tyson.... some wonderful players in there?

In all seriousness, a lot of the signings under Clough were very good. The likes of Bryson, Forsyth, Martin and Russell were all excellent signings. Clough deserves a lot of credit for that. But this is praise of a manager from a different era. He took over Derby over a decade ago now. That was a time where recruitment was much more the managers responsibility than it is now. So you can’t justify a good manager for me as having a good eye for a player - That’s a good scout (which we appear not to have, of course). A good manager nowadays is a good tactician and coach which, imo, Nigel is not. Or at the very least, not good enough for this job.

So no, as much as I’m Cocu out, Clough in is an insane suggestion. We sacked him years ago because he wasn’t doing a good enough job, you don’t go back to a manager you’ve got shot of. He did an excellent job in difficult circumstances to begin with, and we should thank him for that (he did a better job at the task in hand than most of his successors who were poo in comparison!). But he reached his limit, and he wasn’t good enough by the end. He’s not the man for this job. We want Cocu out because he’s too defensive, putting Clough in charge won’t exactly change things philosophy wise in the regard. Clough’s caution was also his main issue. He’s doing a decent job in league one. Decent, but nothing special. That doesn’t scream an ambitious appointment to me.

Just now, 1of4 said:

And you want to sack a manager after how long. 

I wonder what the team will look like when Cocu is given the same amount of time.

Who says Cocu has to be sacked for Clough to come back in? 

IF I had to choose, I would choose Clough. But perhaps Clough and Cocu together in some way? 

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Conor Sammon, Chris Maguire, Nathan Tyson.... some wonderful players in there?

In all seriousness, a lot of the signings under Clough were very good. The likes of Bryson, Forsyth, Martin and Russell were all excellent signings. Clough deserves a lot of credit for that. But this is praise of a manager from a different era. He took over Derby over a decade ago now. That was a time where recruitment was much more the managers responsibility than it is now. So you can’t justify a good manager for me as having a good eye for a player - That’s a good scout (which we appear not to have, of course). A good manager nowadays is a good tactician and coach which, imo, Nigel is not. Or at the very least, not good enough for this job.

So no, as much as I’m Cocu out, Clough in is an insane suggestion. We sacked him years ago because he wasn’t doing a good enough job, you don’t go back to a manager you’ve got shot of. He did an excellent job in difficult circumstances to begin with, and we should thank him for that (he did a better job at the task in hand than most of his successors who were poo in comparison!). But he reached his limit, and he wasn’t good enough by the end. He’s not the man for this job. We want Cocu out because he’s too defensive, putting Clough in charge won’t exactly change things philosophy wise in the regard. Clough’s caution was also his main issue. He’s doing a decent job in league one. Decent, but nothing special. That doesn’t scream an ambitious appointment to me.

He's doing an amazing job at Burton!

2 minutes ago, Hotter said:

What, 14th with a side relegated from the championship not so long ago? I get they’re a small club, but they’ve still got some pretty decent players. They probably can’t be expecting a lot more than that, but it’s hardly “amazing”.

6 minutes ago, Hotter said:

A tiny club, with a tiny budget, who are already punching above their weight. It's a totally different ball game to managing Derby. Here, you have an expectation to provide more. At Burton, they should just be happy to be as high up the ladder as they are.

Can’t tell if this is trolling or not. Clough’s last season is what finally lost me as a season ticket holder after about 15 years. Just looked up specifics and it was deciding to not bother going to festive fixtures vs Blackpool and the aforementioned scunny games and feeling strangely vindicated as we lost both. I remember even home victories vs leicester being painful as Nigel would shut up shop and invite pressure if we established a lead. The timing of clough going always felt harsh cos he did a good job on a shoe string but he reached his ceiling; he wasn’t tactically astute enough to take this group any further. If not progressing since is seeing the most scintillating football since jim smith under Mac 1, then count me in to not progress again. Credit where credits due, great budget signings and keeping us going, but it’s no coincidence even forest haven’t been desperate enough to take a punt. Rose tinted specs off now please. 

I am one of the few who is a big fan of nige and his time here, but no to coming in now for Cocu.

The calls for Cocu to go are, in my opinion. A result of the nature of football today where fans have unreasonable expectation and no patience. 

Clough would need a lot of patience. 

I want Cocu given time, he, along with Clough has been dealt a poor hand of cards.

If we go down yeah id go for Clough but with the expectation of a couple of years in league one. 

3 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

image.thumb.png.b9bbc1e7553a4fa35e2cf76f3631a97f.png

One of the worst days being a DCFC fan that game. Freezing cold. Gary Hooper running riot on us.

If you'd have told me Jake Buxton would be a cult hero at the club after this match, woah, miracles do happen.

Archived