GET CLOUGH BACK, MEL!

Hotter

16 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Other than a few second division titles the league cup McClaren won for Boro is the only trophy they have ever won. And yes he got Boro to their first ever European final in the Uefa cup.

Apparently his Eredivisie title doesnt count according to some on here despite the fact that he did it with a team who had never won it before in a league dominated by two teams.

The football we played under Mac1 (and 2 for that matter) was far more entertaining than anything Clough jnr ever managed to serve up here. In fact it was probably the best football we've seen since Mac was here with Jim Smith.

I would say Burleys football was pretty good too, took him 18 months to build that play off side

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Hotter said:

Clough left the next manager with something to work with. Every manager since has basically had the squad developed by Clough to work with up until Lampard. Lampard made 3 excellent loans but his actually signings have not been good at all. Cocu has inherited a mess, no question but he doesn't have DCFC in his blood, NC does. Get him back, let me do it all over again but this time let him finish the job!

Hi Nigel ?

2 hours ago, NottsRammy said:

Do I really need to explain that or are you that desperate to put McClaren on top with his abroad cheap title wins to prove your point . 

The fact its based in England and just for club sides before you say why not the national team is to put it on a fair basis .

Cheap title wins abroad? Is football easier abroad?

Why not make it even more local and just do a Derby comparison. 

Don't forget Nigel is undefeated as a PL manager and England manager. I mean nobody has ever offered him a job at either level but maybe that's because he hasn't ever done anything to show he has potential to be anything more than a league 1 manager

3 hours ago, NottsRammy said:

STICK THIS ONE IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT ALL YOU DAFT MCLAREN BOYS 

All Steve McClaren Club Teams WIN % from teams in ENGLAND 

Derby 2016-10-29 2017-03-18  36.84%   games played 19

Derby County 2016-10-122017-03-12 45.83%   games played24

Newcastle United 2015-06-102016-03-10 23.53%    games played  34

Derby 2014-03-012015-08-08 50%            games played 68

Derby County 2013-09-30 2015-05-25 53.68%    games played  95        

Nottingham Forest 2011-06-13 2011-10-02 23.08%games played13

Middlesbrough2001-06-12  2006-05-11 38.8%   games played  250  

OVERALL WIN PERCENTAGE = 39.15% 

All Cloughs Club Team WIN % from teams in ENGLAND 

Burton Albion2015-12-07  present-01-01  33.33%     games played  117

Sheffield United2013-10-232015-05-25     47.12%      games played  104

Derby County2009-01-06 2013-09-28        33.48%      games played  233       

Burton Albion1998-10-062009-01-06         43.72%      games played  709

OVERALL WIN PERCENTAGE = 39.41 % 

WELL WELL WELL ……….FOOD FOR THOUGHT NO , I KNOW YOU CAN USE % IN ALL SORTS OF DIFFERENT WAYS BUT I THINK THIS SHUTS A FEW PEOPLE UP , CERTAINLY THE DAFT McClaren boys .

Yeah because wins at League One and Conference levels are exactly the same as Premier League and Championship games, right? It's not food for thought, and it won't shut anyone up. It's a badly constructed argument with cherry picked stats. Anyone with working eyes and a brain should know Mac did a much better job here than Clough, and it ain't close.

I see lots of similarities with us under Nigel and Cocu. Both are very myopic and unadventurous and have failed to move with the times. Football has moved on, it is now a fast paced pressing game, well at least it is for successful clubs.

2 hours ago, NottsRammy said:

Here we go .

I just love it absolutely love these Stevie Mac boys .

Derby fans mate. I don't love Mac because of his hair island or his coffee drinking during an interview

I love him because I was bored shitless watching Nigel Clough lose more games than we won for 5 years. Seasons over by March. 10 men behind the ball and an extra defender on for the last 10 minutes only still to concede. The games were boring and never anything to play for.

Then Mac came in and made this great team that Clough built (but didn't get in the play offs? Weird that) exciting to watch. We were winning games playing exciting attacking football. Neutrals began to wish us well as we were exciting to watch. We would go 1-0 down or 2-0 down and people believed we'd come back. Like when we played Yeovil there was still belief in the stadium

Of course while we were enjoying these days out you were not happy at all was you? You could see the collapse coming? 

So rather than enjoy the fleeting moments of joy we get from Derby, you were sat on your hands waiting for the downfall.

While we marched on Wembley believing we were invincible after the Brighton game (one of the best performances of a decade) you were shaking your head at the inevitable defeat.

These McClaren fanboys just can't see how Clough would have done it all so much better. He'd have set higher club records

Like the 5 and 6 goal thrillers v Wolves, Blackpool, Forest (horrible day I imagine? Too much belief in the air). 

This was the experience any real Derby fan would look back on as a nightmare. It's only Mac's personal fanbase that have fond memories of him. 

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Derby fans mate. I don't love Mac because of his hair island or his coffee drinking during an interview

I love him because I was bored shitless watching Nigel Clough lose more games than we won for 5 years. Seasons over by March. 10 men behind the ball and an extra defender on for the last 10 minutes only still to concede. The games were boring and never anything to play for.

Then Mac came in and made this great team that Clough built (but didn't get in the play offs? Weird that) exciting to watch. We were winning games playing exciting attacking football. Neutrals began to wish us well as we were exciting to watch. We would go 1-0 down or 2-0 down and people believed we'd come back. Like when we played Yeovil there was still belief in the stadium

Of course while we were enjoying these days out you were not happy at all was you? You could see the collapse coming? 

So rather than enjoy the fleeting moments of joy we get from Derby, you were sat on your hands waiting for the downfall.

While we marched on Wembley believing we were invincible after the Brighton game (one of the best performances of a decade) you were shaking your head at the inevitable defeat.

These McClaren fanboys just can't see how Clough would have done it all so much better. He'd have set higher club records

Like the 5 and 6 goal thrillers v Wolves, Blackpool, Forest (horrible day I imagine? Too much belief in the air). 

This was the experience any real Derby fan would look back on as a nightmare. It's only Mac's personal fanbase that have fond memories of him. 

I started supporting Derby during George Burley's time at the club.

Steve McClaren's spell here was the most enjoyable I have had as a fan. Even more than the Davies promotion season.

Great to read someone so accurately sum that all up in one post! 

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

Steve McClaren's spell here was the most enjoyable I have had as a fan. Even more than the Davies promotion season.

I loved Burley too. But typical Derby let you get to the verge of something exciting and then kick you in the nuts. Hard. 

16 hours ago, Hotter said:

I said when he was sacked, we would live to regret it.

I have said it several times since, when it was clear to me if not the masses that the essence of what NC created was being either diluted or dismantled.

I struggle to see why the faith in Cocu from Mel when he has a guy capable of developing youth and unearthing future gems just 20 mins down the road with an already proven track record of doing so with DCFC.

If it were my money, he would be top of the list. Perhaps someone can list all of these gems again to save me the time?

Totally agree mate. Clough got a very, very raw deal here. He had to reshape the club on an absolute shoestring, brought through Hughes and Hendrick, signed players cheaply who remained key parts of our squad for years and then got sacked for achieving similar results to the latest guy who has a way bigger playing budget 

1 minute ago, Gerry Daly said:

Totally agree mate. Clough got a very, very raw deal here. He had to reshape the club on an absolute shoestring, brought through Hughes and Hendrick, signed players cheaply who remained key parts of our squad for years and then got sacked for achieving similar results to the latest guy who has a way bigger playing budget 

He wouldn't have ever got us promoted. He was struggling in the season he got sacked despite having an amazing team. It wasn't a raw deal, the club had ambitions for more than Clough could ever offer us.

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

He wouldn't have ever got us promoted. He was struggling in the season he got sacked despite having an amazing team. It wasn't a raw deal, the club had ambitions for more than Clough could ever offer us.

Largely agree with most of the stuff you say about McClaren etc, but you don't know this. You don't know that he wouldn't of eventually gotten us promoted. None of us do. 

What we do know though, is that the football we were stagnating under Cloughie. We weren't going anywhere quickly enough and, after a very long time at the helm, it was probably time for a change (shocking as it was at the time).

What we saw under McClaren is what we have wanted to see under every manager who has followed him: a team transformed. Same playing staff, more or less, but totally reinvigorated. Feels like every damn season we wait to see if the same thing is going to happen again. Clement. Pearson. Rowett. Lampard. Cocu. But it hasn't.

So what do we have to do? Maybe what we're expecting is the problem. Maybe we have to all change how we see the process of transforming these team now? Maybe its time to just let someone plant themselves in and let their roots grow for a bit.

8 minutes ago, Andicis said:

We also had a very savvy CEO as well

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

Largely agree with most of the stuff you say about McClaren etc, but you don't know this. You don't know that he wouldn't of eventually gotten us promoted. None of us do. 

What we do know though, is that the football we were stagnating under Cloughie. We weren't going anywhere quickly enough and, after a very long time at the helm, it was probably time for a change (shocking as it was at the time).

What we saw under McClaren is what we have wanted to see under every manager who has followed him: a team transformed. Same playing staff, more or less, but totally reinvigorated. Feels like every damn season we wait to see if the same thing is going to happen again. Clement. Pearson. Rowett. Lampard. Cocu. But it hasn't.

So what do we have to do? Maybe what we're expecting is the problem. Maybe we have to all change how we see the process of transforming these team now? Maybe its time to just let someone plant themselves in and let their roots grow for a bit.

Well you can never know the future right, but I genuinely do not think Clough would have ever turned us around. I remember how we played vs Burnley at home that season, and from that point I was thoroughly fed up with Clough as the manager. It'd have been years if he could have ever taken us further. 

Yeah, I saw highlights from the Brighton game in the playoffs the other day. It made me miss McClaren so much, he gave us countless games that I won't ever forget as a Derby supporter. 

I'm happy to give a manager time if we're not in danger of relegation. If we win the next two games, I'll shut up for the rest of the season on the presumption we're probably safe. 

1 hour ago, Truckle said:

There are a lot of comments about how Mac took Clough's players and got more out of them.  Could be true over the season but its interesting to look at an exact comparison between the teams they both faced.  Before being sacked Clough faced these teams and got 11 points, that's exactltly the same amount as Mac got 11 points from the return fixtures. 

Brighton 

Leicester City

Yeovil Town

Burnley 

Millwall

Bolton Wanderers

Nottingham Forest

straw clutching

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

Mac ruined us fans though. Now anything else than sexy football and playoffs are disappointing, no matter what the circumstances are. From the Clough's era, we could do with the patience fans had when NC got rid of highly-paid, underperforming players and replaced them with younsters & new players. We are in a very similar position now.

Archived