GET CLOUGH BACK, MEL!

Hotter

I said when he was sacked, we would live to regret it.

I have said it several times since, when it was clear to me if not the masses that the essence of what NC created was being either diluted or dismantled.

I struggle to see why the faith in Cocu from Mel when he has a guy capable of developing youth and unearthing future gems just 20 mins down the road with an already proven track record of doing so with DCFC.

If it were my money, he would be top of the list. Perhaps someone can list all of these gems again to save me the time?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Hotter said:

I have said it several times since, when it was clear to me if not the masses that the essence of what NC created was being either diluted or dismantled.

I struggle to see why the faith in Cocu from Mel when he has a guy capable of developing youth and unearthing future gems just 20 mins down the road with an already proven track record of doing so with DCFC.

If it were my money, he would be top of the list. Perhaps someone can list all of these gems again to save me the time?

For a minute there I thought you might overheat. 

Nigel Clough had an 18th and a 19th place finish for us when he was here and never finished above 10th. Clough snr finished 18th in his first season.

Some of the football under Clough jnr was truly awful and it took McClaren to actually do anything significant with these "gems" you mention.

How about we give Cocu at least one transfer window to bring players in and then see how things go from there. 

25 minutes ago, Hotter said:

Clough couldn't make an amazing squad of players, play. Mac came in and immediately made them play. Kinda implies Clough wasn't very good at his actual job, which was to make the players play. Not to scout. We haven't lived to regret it, we lived to regret sacking Mac. Clough gave us horrendous, boring seasons with our only highlight being occasionally able to beat Forest. 

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Clough couldn't make an amazing squad of players, play. Mac came in and immediately made them play. Kinda implies Clough wasn't very good at his actual job, which was to make the players play. Not to scout. We haven't lived to regret it, we lived to regret sacking Mac. Clough gave us horrendous, boring seasons with our only highlight being occasionally able to beat Forest. 

He could though, it took him a long time but he was n the cusp and Rush sacked him. Huge mistake!

4 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

There is an argument to be made for having Clough come back, providing we replace him with McClaren when he's done his work

Or how about letting Clough finish what he has started this time?! And give him some money to spend too!

2 minutes ago, Hotter said:

He could though, it took him a long time but he was n the cusp and Rush sacked him. Huge mistake!

He was sacked cos he was taking us to another season of mid table mediocrity. Mac made me dream, he showed us beautiful, progressive football. I wouldn't trade that for Clough ever. 

1 minute ago, Squid said:

We have about 26 different threads of people calling for Cocu out, ridiculous.

He’s not going anywhere, so get a grip or bugger off down a52.

Honestly frustrates me, we’re meant to be backing the manager, our owner is, so why can’t we?

Its a tough time I know but it shows how toxic our fanbase is when the 20% of fans who want him out are more vocal than the ones who want him in.

Sorry for my pissed off remark, but at the end of the day we should be supporting our club through thick and thin.

I am not necessarily jumping on the same bandwagon. I just think DCFC have had delusions of grandeur since the day Clough was sacked when in fact all they needed to do was show more patience and give NC some money to spend. 

I agree with you about the sacking, he shouldn't have been sacked, but that horse has well and truely bolted. He was only sacked as he would have never had let Sam Rush run the transfer policy, and he was right not to let that happen.

He was an excellent manager, but rather poor coach. Mac was an outstanding coach and got the best out of Clough's squad but is a rather poor manager who let Sam Rush run that side of things. Clough failed to get the best from his squad, and Mac lead that squad into decline, macked by his great coaching. Neither should come back, well pehaps together might work.

12 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Clough gave us horrendous, boring seasons with our only highlight being occasionally able to beat Forest. 

He did well against Leeds too.

2 minutes ago, Hotter said:

I am not necessarily jumping on the same bandwagon. I just think DCFC have had delusions of grandeur since the day Clough was sacked when in fact all they needed to do was show more patience and give NC some money to spend. 

In fact all we need to do is show Cocu more patience and give him more money to spend.

7 minutes ago, Squid said:

We have about 26 different threads of people calling for Cocu out, ridiculous.

He’s not going anywhere, so get a grip or bugger off down a52.

Honestly frustrates me, we’re meant to be backing the manager, our owner is, so why can’t we?

Its a tough time I know but it shows how toxic our fanbase is when the 20% of fans who want him out are more vocal than the ones who want him in.

Sorry for my pissed off remark, but at the end of the day we should be supporting our club through thick and thin.

It's 20% of people on this forum who have actual voted which is a long way off being 20% of the fanbase.

Archived