Jayden Bogle - Left for Sheffield United

Rev

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We will never know for sure how much the pair will be sold for. Press speculation will always be just that: speculation. Even if the £10m for the pair is roughly accurate, will that be £10m up front and not include add-ons? Will it be a maximum of £10m when all potential add-ons have been taken into account? Who knows? Similarly, comparing the supposed Bogle fee with players from other clubs is also pointless for the same reasons.

A player is only worth what somebody will pay. We saw that with Will (again, so many fees were speculated about with him, who knows what he actually went for). If FFP (or whatever it’s called) means we have to sell to buy, then we might also not be in a strong negotiating position. 

All in all, I think it’s a shame to be selling them both. Good young players with potential. However, we have cover in both positions and I don’t think the team will be massively undermined if they leave. In a four, I’d probably have Wisdom at right back as my first choice anyway. With Malone going Lowe would probably be my first choice at left back, but Forsyth is hardly terrible and Cocu obviously has high hopes for Buchanan. 

I also think this is the only way the club becomes sustainable in the future too, so we’d better get used to selling academy products... at least until we go up (which we will... we definitely will... we’ll, probably... possibly at some point in the future. Maybe.)

When Will Hughes and Jeff Hendrick left, and especially Tom Huddlestone, I methodically followed their careers, watched them on MoTD etc and was proud they were once Rams. I'll wish Lowe and Bogle the very best, their opportunity at a higher level, and likely at a club that will give them a chance. That means a lot. Similarly it is going to happen to Max Bird, Lee Buchanan, Jason Knight and Louie Sibley one day, hopefully though not to a Chelsea, a Manchester City or Liverpool where they are investments only. It's not as if we can follow Carson or Grant's time away from here now.

The fee we get actually makes very little difference, it's Monopoly money, not the daily bread for the rest of us. £5m or £50m it really does not matter that much. Have money will spend is the norm, and our club is a great example of it not getting you very far except boosting the earnings of some average players that we did not realise were at the time.

When Matt Doherty went for £13m, it makes it look like Villa have overpaid for Cash at £12m. 

For Bogle and Lowe to go for £10m+ would be reasonable. 

Would love for them to stay, but Buchanan seems to be stepping up at LB with Foz behind and Wisdom solid at RB, though I do feel it leaves a bit of a hole here.

No matter how much we perceive what anyone or any items value is, its only determined by one thing.

That is how much someone is prepared to pay for it. Simple market forces.

If we go back just a few months to the end of last season which, unfortunately petter out into a nothingness. Lowe was in and out of the team, Bogle's form was up and down (much like the teams).

How much would we accepted for them then ?

I think the majority of us would have said over 10+ million (with possible sell-on clauses) would been somewhere near acceptable. 

Its only now that we are measuring their sale against other's (primarily Cash's) that some fan's are taking a different view.

Remember Sheffield Utd are paying for potential these two are not seasoned professional's with years in game that have played at this level, its a gamble. 

If it comes off their on a winner if not well we've lost nothing. 

For us it gives us an opportunity IF the money is spent wisely, with 'right' signings we could propel ourselves to the promised land. 

Sometimes you have to (when there is no choice) 'speculate to accumulate'. 

Bogle is clearly a very good player and will suit the wing back role very well.

He was always going to make the step up at some point.

Do we bring someone in or trust in Wisdom and Ebosele? Although we didnt see Ebosele against Barrow...

I like Wisdom but maybe a touch lacking going forward

Just now, Shuff264 said:

Do we bring someone in or trust in Wisdom and Ebosele? Although we didnt see Ebosele against Barrow...

I think Ebosele might be injured. He went off in preseason against Peterborough, and I can't remember seeing him either for the first team or the academy teams since then.

2 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

I get the impression big Dutch mike can play there too 

You'll probably see Jordan Brown used as a RB / RWB before Ebosele this season, he hasn't been given a squad number for nothing, and wasn't that where he was subbed on against WBA? (I'd stopped watching by that point)

Although he's officially a midfielder he's unlikely to break into the squad ahead of any of our other options there this season and it's (RB) a position he's played numerous times for the U23s. He's ahead of others right now and it may well be the only position we can get him some games.

He's got an engine on him too, can defend aggressively & make strong runs, he's just not as quick as Festy.

Bogle will be gone on Monday, good luck to him, I find him to be good going forward, but does waste alot of balls with his average crossing at best. 

Also he will have to improve his defending, as he allows far to many balls into the box, and also gets caught out off position alot 10 million for me is not a bad price for a right back who can not defend, not his biggest fan, always prefer a in form Wisdom every time. 

Think he will struggle in the prem, and will be a championship right back again in a few seasons time. Will never be a top prem right back. 

Archived