Nigel Pearson / Will Hughes

Ram8

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ram8 said:

Don’t think we fully appreciated at the time just what a perfect midfield combination we had in Hughes, Hendrick and Bryson .. slot them into our team now and it would be transformed .. 

True. Slot Chris Martin in front of them and we would all be dreaming again.

Nice memories that spoilt us.

2 hours ago, Ram8 said:

Don’t think we fully appreciated at the time just what a perfect midfield combination we had in Hughes, Hendrick and Bryson .. slot them into our team now and it would be transformed .. 

Thought they were quite poor as a three. Only really worked away at Hull. Jeff couldn’t hold. 

On 08/12/2019 at 10:53, Mick Brolly said:

Why would he want to come back to a mid table championship club when he's become a decent prem player, I'm sure if he were to leave Watford it would be a move to progress his career.

Exactly. It's been mentioned when Will was playing well prior to Watford struggling, he was in Southgates thoughts. Other PL league clubs will be aware of his quality. In any case, Pearson may have had time to reflect on his mistakes at Derby. Unlikely that Hughes will be coming back to PP in the foreseeable future.

On 07/12/2019 at 23:45, Ram8 said:

So, now Pearson is in charge at Watford (think they’ll regret that), I’m pretty sure that’s the end for Will Hughes, which might, just might, mean a return to Derby for the player that Pearson effectively drove out of the club along with Chris Martin ! 

I had no idea that Chris Martin was such a bully and helped drive out Will.

On 08/12/2019 at 00:18, Ram8 said:

Squid .. do you not remember that Pearson was such an idiot that he didn’t have the sense to realise that Hughes and Martin were our most creative players, and so he didn’t play them, thus triggering Hughes’ departure and Martin’s effective banishment on loan for two seasons ? 

And of course Hughes will be well aware that he won’t be flavour of the month, or season, at Watford any more ! 

It was GR that saction the sale of hughes not pearson.

On 08/12/2019 at 15:35, Ram8 said:

We don't fully appreciate it, because it's not true.  Go back to the threads at the time and they were littered with comments on how they didn't function when all of them played together.  In Schteve's 4-3-3 none of them had the discipline to hold in front of the back four.  They always competed for the two slots in front of Eustace/Thorne.

They were never a perfect combination. Bryson and Hendrick never worked well in the same team. It was one or the other. That was part of our problem. But it sure would be a nice problem to have again. 

10 hours ago, europia said:

Exactly. It's been mentioned when Will was playing well prior to Watford struggling, he was in Southgates thoughts. Other PL league clubs will be aware of his quality. In any case, Pearson may have had time to reflect on his mistakes at Derby. Unlikely that Hughes will be coming back to PP in the foreseeable future.

Agreed. He’s a premier league quality player. Derby would be a step backwards unfortunately. I actually think Will Hughes would be better in a stronger team. I think he could play in any of the top sides and flourish. I think he needs strong players around him to bring the best out of him. 

12 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Agreed. He’s a premier league quality player. Derby would be a step backwards unfortunately. I actually think Will Hughes would be better in a stronger team. I think he could play in any of the top sides and flourish. I think he needs strong players around him to bring the best out of him. 

Completely agree.  Two of my mates are Hornets through and through and both really rate Hughes. They're still amazed at how cheaply we sold him for.  He's def PL quality and if he came back then that'd be my Christmas and Birthday all in one....but it's not going to happen.    

Hughes, Bryson and The EUST for me thanks

Or really - Hughes, Bryson and Thorne - Imagine the season Mac would have had if we'd been able to field them all that next season

Oh also - Anyone think we might be able to persuade Pearson to take Anya back?

On 08/12/2019 at 09:21, Ram8 said:

And now we have a manager whose philosophy is based on playing TWO defensive mids and ONE up front ..

This is NOT the ‘Dutch Total Football’ that many of us envisaged when he was appointed ! 

In fact, as some have noticed, it’s little better than ‘Rowettball’ !

The only positive to have surfaced is that (at last) so many forum members have become aware of the value of Chris Martin, having written him off either as a result of not having the courage of their own convictions, or subscribing to the view that just because three of our managers (Pearson, Rowett and Cocu) don’t have the common (footballing) sense or intelligence to see his (glaringly obvious) value to the team, then they too must slavishly believe that (much) lesser talents such as Waghorn deserve to start in front of him ! 

That isn't true.

He stated when he came in that his preferred formation is 433, compare that with the way he set the team up at PSV and it becomes glaringly obvious that using the 4231 here is because of our distinct lack of options (or quality) in midfield currently. His philosophy isn't being executed at the moment because we haven't got the personnel to do it. Those using this as a stick to beat Cocu with are either remarkably daft if they don't see that, or just massively biased...

Archived