Championship keepers better than Roos?

IslandExile

We've been through all the arguements about what Roos is good at and not so good at.... No need to rehash those again here.

Just tell me which keepers, currently playing in the Championship, are better than him. That is taking everything into account: saves, catching, dominating, receiving the ball to feet, playing the ball, passing, the lot.

Simply put, which current championship keepers would you take over Roos?

I think he's being really harshly treated. I genuinely cannot think of another championship keeper that I'd prefer.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd take every single Championship keeper ahead of him. Even Lee Camp and the daft lad Sluga at Luton

Roos is terrible.  Absolutely no doubt about that. I'd rather me be in goal than him and I retired from between the sticks at the age of 44 a full 7 years ago. 

I don't sarcastically applaud a catch though. That's just wrong. 

But he's proper crap.

32 minutes ago, MidWalesRam said:

Sam Johnstone at WBA is an excellent 'keeper , baggies fans might disagree but I really rate him. Butland at Stoke is decent too despite hjs recent errors.

Butland’s been bad for a long time now, injury just before the Euros knackered him in 

22 minutes ago, Charlie van de Borreltje said:

I'd take every single Championship keeper ahead of him. Even Lee Camp and the daft lad Sluga at Luton

Roos is terrible.  Absolutely no doubt about that. I'd rather me be in goal than him and I retired from between the sticks at the age of 44 a full 7 years ago. 

But he's proper crap.

This is just a clueless opinion. You clearly haven't watched many Championship games not involving Derby if you're of this opinion. Despite Roos having some shaky performances, hyperbolic nonsense like this helps no one. 

I found myself thinking about Kellie Roos as I driving back up the m1 today.

I came to the conclusion that we should stick with him. He has waited a long time for his chance. He is making some important saves which aren’t getting as much credit as they deserve. He’s still learning, but if he can adapt then we could have a keeper for the next 5 years, with no cash spent.

I made a similar point yesterday in the pub in hull. There’s been a lot of criticism about him from most of our fans (myself included), but we’ve seen a fair few championship games this season, and I tell you what we’ve seen some awful goalkeepers. Sluga, camp and even their goalie yesterday dropped it at the end of the first half to nearly gift us a goal. I don’t think our problems with Roos are unique in this division at all, the standard is just pretty damn poor.

I can’t say I agree there’s no goalkeeper I’d rather have, theres got to be a few with better command of their area than Roos in the championship, because his really is shocking. Difficult to name names as the season is still young, and it’s quite early to establish who the divisions best players are this season- but there’s got to be some better goalkeepers out there in this league. However, I don’t think there’s that many.

He’s not one of the best goalies in the division, but Roos is still good enough imo to play for a team competing. I’m sure, with some quality scouting, we could improve on him- but we all know quality scouting hasn’t existed here for a long time and we’d almost certainly get someone worse. And regardless, imho, there’s much more significant areas that need addressing that truly are holding us back as a team, before we start looking at the goalkeeper. You don’t tend to play as poo as we have at times and the goalkeeper be mainly to blame. Is he to blame for our midfielders being unable to hit a basic pass sometimes? Is he to blame for our widemen being so totally ineffective? Our centre halves being so slow? No, he isn’t. Those are the problems that are really holding us back and need addressing as a much higher priority than the goalkeeper, despite his obvious flaws.

39 minutes ago, Charlie van de Borreltje said:

But he's proper crap.

wrong

We missed the most obvious target - twice.

daniel Bentley was getting rave reviews at Southend, and was available for quite a while before  Brentford eventually paid the asking price. This summer they sold him to Bristol city no doubt for a decent profit.

The idea that a modern keeper will command the area though is perhaps a bit hopeful. Keepers are targeted for obstruction. So are centre halves. That’s what all the wrestling is about at corners. Ever since allardyce and warnock perfected their tactical fouling, and those tactics were adopted by the majority of the league, keepers have had to remain rooted to the line. 

Here's the list of each teams most used GK this season.

West Brom - S. Johnstone
Preston - D. Rudd
Leeds - K. Casilla
Swansea - F. Woodman
Sheff Weds - K. Westwood
Bristol - D. Bentley
Fulham - M. Bettinelli
QPR - J. Lumley
Charlton - D. Phillips
Forest - B. Samba
Birmingham - L. Camp
Hull - G. Long
Brentford - Raya
Smithies - A. Smithies
Millwall - B. Bialkowski
Derby - K. Roos
Blackburn - C. Walton
Wigan - D. Marshall
Luton - S. Sluga
Huddersfield - K. Grabara
Reading - R. Cabral
Middlesbrough - D. Randolph
Stoke - J. Butland / A. Federici
Barnsley - B. Collins

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Here's the list of each teams most used GK this season.

West Brom - S. Johnstone
Preston - D. Rudd
Leeds - K. Casilla
Swansea - F. Woodman
Sheff Weds - K. Westwood
Bristol - D. Bentley
Fulham - M. Bettinelli
QPR - J. Lumley
Charlton - D. Phillips
Forest - B. Samba
Birmingham - L. Camp
Hull - G. Long
Brentford - Raya
Smithies - A. Smithies
Millwall - B. Bialkowski
Derby - K. Roos
Blackburn - C. Walton
Wigan - D. Marshall
Luton - S. Sluga
Huddersfield - K. Grabara
Reading - R. Cabral
Middlesbrough - D. Randolph
Stoke - J. Butland / A. Federici
Barnsley - B. Collins

Better than Roos ? All round ? Interesting , people , myself included only seem to pick out Roos' bad points and not his good ones . Out of the list the ones that would genuinely improve our team from an all round perspective and the current style of play are :

Sam Johnstone 

Kieran Westwood

Marcus Bettinelli

Darren Randolph 

Jack Butland 

There's many in there that are roughly of the same ability but you wouldn't take them over Kelle who has been here a long time now .

8 hours ago, Charlie van de Borreltje said:

But he's proper crap.

How often do you watch other goalkeepers from this division? I'd quite happily bet that someone with a view like this would struggle to name over 10 other goalkeepers from this division. 

So he's in the top 8 for this division, just shows how there's a lot of ordinary keepers about. His dithering over high crosses/freekicks/corners are easy to target. If Cocu can see it then so can other managers. 

Perhaps other ordinary keepers in this division share their mistakes around and don't have such an easily targetable weakness? 

Archived