Championship keepers better than Roos?

IslandExile

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roos gets the blame for Wembley in a game where we picked the wrong side and didn't start playing until the second goal. 

Look what Casilla did to the dirties season, they were cruising to Wembley and probably the Premier, until his unnecessary moment of madness to let us back into the tie. 

I wonder if he's still being hounded by the dirties fans? 

42 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Recently when he did a stint on Radio Derby as a 'proper' summariser

Fair enough, said exactly the same when he joined, maybe one day that potential may come through, based upon my expert goalkeeping knowledge though on what I have seen, I don’t hold out much hope.

Of all those keepers listed, how many appearances at this level or higher do they have? 

Roos is an inexperienced keeper. This is his first full season as number one and despite his weaknesses, there are many other areas in this team that need fixing long before him! Why don't we see what he can do when we back him and try to give his confidence a boost.

Someone said Butland was better...he made have played well against us but in the opening few games he made plenty of big errors. If Roos had made those errors...

On 27/10/2019 at 23:59, Charlie van de Borreltje said:

I'd take every single Championship keeper ahead of him. Even Lee Camp and the daft lad Sluga at Luton

Roos is terrible.  Absolutely no doubt about that. I'd rather me be in goal than him and I retired from between the sticks at the age of 44 a full 7 years ago. 

I don't sarcastically applaud a catch though. That's just wrong. 

But he's proper crap.

I gave this a laugh because it’s so stupid it wasn’t worth an angry! Granted he’s not the best keeper we’ve had but to say you could do a better job is just laughable. 

Think the "mistake" at Wembley has impacted his decision making, I thought before that game he was a refreshing lift that helped us get to that point. 
Still young and with plenty of time to develop. Hopefully we will stick with him. PS having heard Jon McGinn's interview after the playoff final where he thought he had "fouled the keeper" and was suprised the ref didnt blow & having since watched the clip of the "incident" I think he was fouled for that goal, McGinn clearly heads his arm and not the ball.

14 hours ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Randolph is in a very poor boro side at the moment and even the best look poor when their side is doing that badly. In a very average side last season he was one of the best goalkeepers in the division. 

Surely an average goalkeeper whose best attribute is shot stopping is going to look better in an average to poor side? 

On 28/10/2019 at 00:23, Andicis said:

This is just a clueless opinion. You clearly haven't watched many Championship games not involving Derby if you're of this opinion. Despite Roos having some shaky performances, hyperbolic nonsense like this helps no one

At what point was my post supposed to help someone or indeed help anyone? The OP asked who would we rather have in goal from the championship. I replied with my opinion. I thank you for your all knowing one.

Clearly I have never watched a game of football that does not involve Kelle Roos. Clearly I am clueless

Clearly Kelle Roos is not of Championship standard. He's either rooted to his line or looks like he's just seen his mum in the West Upper.

I can't be arsed to reply to all but chose to reply to you as it was the most condescending version.

Check out the Wigan match, on 20 minutes, Roos is rooted and leaves Davies to awkwardly deal with a ball. Got away with it.  

45 minutes he waves to his mum  Needless corner.

91 minutes he waves to his Mum again, and we end up needlessly conceding a potentially dangerous free kick.

On all of these occasions there was no pressure on him yet he chose to not to take control of the moment. 

Many more instances over this season alone. I could label them all if you wish but  a/ can't be botherd and b/ you don't deserve the attention.

You'll clearly never see it.

If you genuinely want your keeper to do what he does ( or more to point what he doesn't do) then I feel for you.

23 hours ago, Ramslad1992 said:

I gave this a laugh because it’s so stupid it wasn’t worth an angry! Granted he’s not the best keeper we’ve had but to say you could do a better job is just laughable. 

Have you ever heard the word 'sarcasm'.

Cheapest form of wit apparently.

But also one of the most difficult to fully understand.

The one thing it seems can agreed upon is that Kelle Roos will need to improve. 

To be promoted a team needs a keeper to be premier league quality, and he's not there yet. But he has to be given a chance to develop. brian clough developed quite a few keepers - Boulton, crossley, sutton, segers etc - by giving these players an extended opportunity to play. Roos is deserving of a chance as much as say Max Lowe. We could pick faults in Lowe's game, or Bogle's etc etc. None of these players are the finished article. But over the years you see players who come into side, look a bit shaky, and then blossom. Lee Carsley is a very good example.

Admittedly not all of the young players who get a chance to play, blossom. For every lee Carsley, chris riggott, malcolm christie, dean sturridge or Paul Williams, there is a paul Boertien, adam murray, paul emson, tony reid, steve spooner, frank sheriden, colin chesters, paul bartlett, frank gamble, richard jackson, mark stallard, john clayton, callum ball, jamie hanson, jonathan mitchell, timi elsnik, farrend rawson, ivan calero, kwame thomas, mark o'brien, alefe santos, connor doyle, michael hoganson -  and dare i say it - craig ramage.......etc etc.

Many of those who we thought would make it, don't. And its hard to say why. Possibly those who do go on to develop have come into teams with some very good senior players around them, whereas those who didn't develop, often seem to have come into a very average or poor side. Certain players - like Dave Mackay, archie gemmill, igor stimac - raise the standards of those around them. Others players don't. At the moment we have too many players for whom 'average' is good enough. I would put tom lawrence, Scott malone and tom huddlestone into that category.

Roos, bogle, and Lowe need to show whether they can take their game to the next level. Who knows whether they can do it? They aren't helped by having very few outstanding role models amongst the more senior players, but ultimately its up to them. 

And there is only one way to find out. 

6 hours ago, Charlie van de Borreltje said:

At what point was my post supposed to help someone or indeed help anyone? The OP asked who would we rather have in goal from the championship. I replied with my opinion. I thank you for your all knowing one.

Clearly I have never watched a game of football that does not involve Kelle Roos. Clearly I am clueless

Clearly Kelle Roos is not of Championship standard. He's either rooted to his line or looks like he's just seen his mum in the West Upper.

I can't be arsed to reply to all but chose to reply to you as it was the most condescending version.

Check out the Wigan match, on 20 minutes, Roos is rooted and leaves Davies to awkwardly deal with a ball. Got away with it.  

45 minutes he waves to his mum  Needless corner.

91 minutes he waves to his Mum again, and we end up needlessly conceding a potentially dangerous free kick.

On all of these occasions there was no pressure on him yet he chose to not to take control of the moment. 

Many more instances over this season alone. I could label them all if you wish but  a/ can't be botherd and b/ you don't deserve the attention.

You'll clearly never see it.

If you genuinely want your keeper to do what he does ( or more to point what he doesn't do) then I feel for you.

Perfect example of confirmation bias.  You’ve just re watched the game to pick out mistakes.  He could play like a Banks and you would only notice the single mistake.  He’s not great but he is better than your bias suggests.  Try looking for the good parts it might make watching us a little more pleasant?  And what’s this your keeper comment?  He is our keeper 

One thing I would say is that goalkeeping coaches are as important as goalkeepers themselves. 

My go to example would be every single one our goalkeepers under Clough came in a breath of fresh air but all needed replacing within a year, Mac and Steele come in and Grant’s suddenly not flapping at corners. 

There was a Ramble Meets podcast with Chris Kirkland and his form peaked and troughed depending on his coach - to paraphrase, British coaching methods got the best out of him, he suffered when they were foreign. 

Where I’m going with this is that a clip of Roos in training was floating about and was roundly ridiculed because a lot of the drills were pointless and wouldn’t have any practical uses. I can’t find the actual clip but it was similar to this, which is receiving similar criticism. 

I’m not trying to blame Shay Given because I have no idea what work’s being done with Roos outside of one clip… but you never know. Might not be all Roos’ fault. 

13 minutes ago, cannable said:

One thing I would say is that goalkeeping coaches are as important as goalkeepers themselves. 

My go to example would be every single one our goalkeepers under Clough came in a breath of fresh air but all needed replacing within a year, Mac and Steele come in and Grant’s suddenly not flapping at corners. 

You raise a really good point here.

Am I right in thinking that Scott Carson named Pascal Zuberbühler as one of the best coaches he's worked with? 

Again, it seems a bit harsh to lay the blame at Given's door. But a good player doesn't necessarily make a good coach, and our keeping has been pretty poor since he arrived. The same argument could of also been pointed at Kevin Phillips during his time at Derby and Stoke. 

To answer the OP, in my opinion there aren't that many keepers who are better in the Championship. Roos is a good shot stopper, and his distribution is OK. His major problem is commanding his area and dealing with balls in the air. He's so bad at this that it's consuming our opinions of him, sadly.

Keepers I would say are better include:

- Sam Johnstone (WBA)

- Declan Rudd (Preston)

- Christian Walton (Blackburn)

- Kieran Westwood (SWFC)

- Brice Samba (Forest)

- Neil Etheridge (Cardiff)

And arguably Jack Butland, though he has been poor this season, and the season before it. 

12 hours ago, Charlie van de Borreltje said:

And again, you painfully obviously manage to miss the point. Despite his negative points, of which there is a few, the point was to discuss keepers worse than Roos in this league. You, without doing even a tiny amount of research, have decided that there isn't any. I'm calling you clueless, because you jump in to slag off Roos without even considering the question being asked, just as you have done again. 

I'm not the all knowing one, but I don't rush in to make dramatic statements if I don't know what I'm talking about or haven't read the question.

2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

You raise a really good point here.

Am I right in thinking that Scott Carson named Pascal Zuberbühler as one of the best coaches he's worked with? 

Again, it seems a bit harsh to lay the blame at Given's door. But a good player doesn't necessarily make a good coach, and our keeping has been pretty poor since he arrived. The same argument could of also been pointed at Kevin Phillips during his time at Derby and Stoke. 

Indeed he did. The reason Zuberbuhler lasted until Rowett is because Morris rated him as a coach so highly. 

As I say, I don’t have any insight into what Given does so I can’t categorically slate him, but the clip he was being ridiculed for, Roos’ lack of improvement in an area he’s been weak in since last season and Carson’s regression (which at the time I put down to how we defended as a team) has gotten me thinking.

On 29/10/2019 at 10:26, cannable said:

Surely an average goalkeeper whose best attribute is shot stopping is going to look better in an average to poor side? 

When it comes to match ratings unlikely as most the ones I’ve seen rate saves proportionately nowhere near the deficit of goals conceded... I really don’t see how Roos has high match ratings nothing in the game gives credit and his inability to deal with crosses or command a defence is worrying.

Archived