Championship keepers better than Roos?

IslandExile

22 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Better than Roos ? All round ? Interesting , people , myself included only seem to pick out Roos' bad points and not his good ones . Out of the list the ones that would genuinely improve our team from an all round perspective and the current style of play are :

Sam Johnstone 

Kieran Westwood

Marcus Bettinelli

Darren Randolph 

Jack Butland 

There's many in there that are roughly of the same ability but you wouldn't take them over Kelle who has been here a long time now .

Not sure about the last 3 you mentioned based on performances this season. Woodman, Bentley and Samba are up amongst the best too...
Probably about on par with Casilla overall.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Spanish said:

imo, Carson was one of the best goalies in the league but not by the time we loaned him out

He had a poor patch, probably owing to adapting to changing his style to playing more from the back.* He was then injured and didn't get opportunity to regain his place. Difficult to say he wasn't good enough when you see Roos! 

*and perhaps even down to change of goalkeeping coach?

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He had a poor patch, probably owing to adapting to changing his style to playing more from the back.* He was then injured and didn't get opportunity to regain his place. Difficult to say he wasn't good enough when you see Roos! 

*and perhaps even down to change of goalkeeping coach?

yep difficult to say for certain.  Always thought Carson was anchored to his line and Roos wasn't.  Remember that mad sprint to the touchline to tackle a player?  Clearly the coaching has something to do with Roos.  He's been told to punch not catch and I think he is conflicted and uncertain what to do in the 'heat of battle'.  One thing for certain booing or ironic clapping is not helping him.  He must be worried every time the opposition lumps a cross in.  For me he isn't half as bad as some make out and there are other areas that require attention first

As I only really watch Derby, in champ I only see the guy at the other end.

As Derby do not get many high quality crosses in or dominate final third frequently I struggle to make comment easily.

Only that Camp and Sluga are worse.

I can’t remember seeing others doing as much ineffectual flaps/slaps so in the dealing with crosses I think he is amongst the worst in the division. 

His strengths do mitigate the weakness, but I want to see him work on and improve or else I want someone else.

(PS I have never boo’d any player, Roos included)

In the top 3 for shot stopping and in the bottom 3 for command of area/aerial ability. He's about what you'd expect from a championship keeper to be honest, he's just unfairly being compared to Carson who was playing at a Prem level under Rowett.

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

imo, Carson was one of the best goalies in the league but not by the time we loaned him out

All players go through dips in form, for me he was still ahead of Roos even at the time we loaned him out, with the exception of his distribution.

4 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Better than Roos ? All round ? Interesting , people , myself included only seem to pick out Roos' bad points and not his good ones . Out of the list the ones that would genuinely improve our team from an all round perspective and the current style of play are :

Sam Johnstone 

Kieran Westwood

Marcus Bettinelli

Darren Randolph 

Jack Butland 

There's many in there that are roughly of the same ability but you wouldn't take them over Kelle who has been here a long time now .

Butland struggled with the ball at his feet last time we had him and, as previously stated, has been rank bad for three years now.

Some of the hyperbole around Roos is ridiculous.  For instance, he was criticised in the Wigan matchday thread for ponderous / poor distribution in the first half.  The truth is that on the occasion in question he spent a good three or four seconds waiting for Paterson (who was in space initially) to amble up the pitch, refusing to turn to look at Roos until he was close enough to a Wigan defender for the out ball not to be on.

I'm not saying Roos is faultless, or couldn't be improved upon but it wouldn't be my first choice for an upgrade in January.

17 hours ago, Charlie van de Borreltje said:

I'd take every single Championship keeper ahead of him. Even Lee Camp and the daft lad Sluga at Luton

Roos is terrible.  Absolutely no doubt about that. I'd rather me be in goal than him and I retired from between the sticks at the age of 44 a full 7 years ago. 

I don't sarcastically applaud a catch though. That's just wrong. 

But he's proper crap.

18 hours ago, Andicis said:

This is just a clueless opinion. You clearly haven't watched many Championship games not involving Derby if you're of this opinion. Despite Roos having some shaky performances, hyperbolic nonsense like this helps no one. 

The post started is deliberately contentious though aimed at generating responses like this 

Good topic @IslandExile, really like it! At least it challenges or should challenge people to adjust their appraisal from binary thinking.

Eventhough I watch a lots of Championship, I have to admit that I don't know many keepers well. From that beforementioned list it's easy to find couple who seem to be worse and few whose reputation is better than Roos'. Can't say for the real ability tho. 

I'd give him, like rest of the inexperienced players in our team., this season as a free hit. Show to the manager, teammates and fans that you are up to it by developing during the season and therefore, have a place in a team next season. If not, then in Roos' case he'd drop to being back up. 

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The post started is deliberately contentious though aimed at generating responses like this 

That was not at all my intention.

I keep hearing this criticism of Roos that I think is unfair, harsh and not useful.

My intention was to point out that there are not many keepers, at Championship level, that are much better than Roos.

I have said that there are too many 'sheep' joining in the criticism of Roos and not enough Rams giving him our support.

11 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Here's the list of each teams most used GK this season.

West Brom - S. Johnstone
Preston - D. Rudd
Leeds - K. Casilla
Swansea - F. Woodman
Sheff Weds - K. Westwood
Bristol - D. Bentley
Fulham - M. Bettinelli
QPR - J. Lumley
Charlton - D. Phillips
Forest - B. Samba
Birmingham - L. Camp
Hull - G. Long
Brentford - Raya
Smithies - A. Smithies
Millwall - B. Bialkowski
Derby - K. Roos
Blackburn - C. Walton
Wigan - D. Marshall
Luton - S. Sluga
Huddersfield - K. Grabara
Reading - R. Cabral
Middlesbrough - D. Randolph
Stoke - J. Butland / A. Federici
Barnsley - B. Collins

Definitely better than roos

johnstone

bentley

westwood

raya

smithies

walton

randolph

butland

bettinelli

Currently in a run of better form than ever seen from Roos and I would argue that he doesn’t have the potential to surpass

rudd

woodman

Lumley

samba

probably early to discuss Grabara a he is highly rated by a top premier league side

10 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

That was not at all my intention.

I keep hearing this criticism of Roos that I think is unfair, harsh and not useful.

My intention was to point out that there are not many keepers, at Championship level, that are much better than Roos.

I have said that there are too many 'sheep' joining in the criticism of Roos and not enough Rams giving him our support.

The comment itself asking which keepers would you take over Roos in the Championship just invites responses like that 

In reply to your post I don't really give a monkeys about who the best Championship keeper is, I do however want to see signs though that Roos is being coached effectively to improve as a goalkeeper and see signs of improvement regards his catching, decision making and commanding his area.

Archived