As A Derby Fan What Are You Most Bitter About?

Bob The Badger

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

My era essentially is mid nineties onwards, so I think any ‘bitter’ moment I have probably pales in comparison to previously mentioned moments.

The one that sticks out in my mind was the summer before the premier league season after the play off final. Davies, and the club as a whole, completely under estimated what they needed going into one of the most toughest premier leagues there has been (In terms of quality throughout each side). Don’t forget all the contract stuff. Relegation was always on the cards, but the wasted money called for a complete overhaul  and financial reshuffle rather than that money giving us a base to build upon. That’s not even considering the bruised egos felt by the fans.

The fact that 10 years later Davies does an interview with RamsTV, he still can’t just say ‘sorry we as a club got that season completely wrong’ he tries to place the blame with the owners not getting players he wanted. He’s been thinking about this for 10 years and he still can’t think that maybe he got something wrong and apologise. The filthy little piece of toe rag.

Honourable mentions:-

Rowett’s treatment of Martin

Pearson’s treatment of Martin

*At the time* the sacking of Clough, BUT IT turned out ok in the end. Maybe can be put under a bitterness banner called The Rise And Fall of Sam Rush. Will never forget going to a pub meeting with John Vicars and Sam Rush, where Rush asked the fans whether we were happy with Clough and had genuine shock on his face when the vast majority attended said yes. I know the Clough years split opinion but I’ve always held some bitterness towards how long that sacking had been planned by Rush. It wasn’t wrong per se, but it was a filthy bit of business, the filthy piece of toe rag 

Realised I’d missed two words out which made that comment make little sense.

Also I didn’t really put a conclusive point on the end of my comment and I think without it this reads like a load of waffle

Point is I think in this modern era I don’t really think I hold much bitterness towards a game, a club or a manager. Personally my bitterness comes from those within who have used the club to work for their own ends or have derailed plans because of arrogance. Basically it’s those poor decisions that have kept us in the Championship rather than one game.

14 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I was there with the other old uns, Juventus, Clough, all that. Far too much to be bitter about but in modern times Martins sending off really riles me.

1. It was a penalty. Martins standing foot was taken, no drama, no diving, no appeal, straight forward foul and stonewall penalty.

2. Hendrick smashed the ball into the goal before the ref had given the decision so it even took the pressure off him, he didn't have to give the penalty, could just of let the goal stand.

3. The ref was a Bamford.

4. We would have beaten Burnley to automatic promotion that year and gone up with a midfield of Bryson, Hughes, Hendrick....we had a solid framework of good young players, a couple of intelligent signings would have seen us thrive and establish in the Prem.

5. The ref was a Bamford.

The other thing was that (correct me if I'm not remembering it right), a penalty wasn't given, the goal was disallowed and Martin was sent off: I'm fairly sure you can't stop play for a dive, so why did he even blow the whistle?! If he'd have sent Martin off but at least allowed the goal I could (grudgingly) accept it, even though it was a foul. But you can't stop play for a dive! Can you?!

The way I see it the ref had 3 options:

1. Dive - play on -  allow goal - red card for Martin

2. No dive - play on - goal

3. No dive - stop play - penalty

He chose magic unseen option 4! Dive - stop play - red card.

Total bamford.

4 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

It wasn't the winner, it was the equaliser and - to ths day - I have no clue what Jossie Williams was doing on the line to not clear it. Don't forget Harkes missed an absolute sitter to win it (Johnson had also missed a even easier one in in the first half). To be fair, we only had ourselves to blame in that one.

I'm bitter about two things - one that Forest built a team that won two European Cups with our players at the core. O'Hare, McGovern, Gemmill were the beating heart of that side. No club of our resepctive size will ever do that again and it could have been us. I actually don't hate Forest for it, I think any football fan would appreciate the act, but I do despise the fates for conspiring to make sure it wasn't us.

Second, it's not one season but I am bitter that we have underperformed in the way we have for most of my lifetime. I was fortunate enough - just - to see the glory years but since then we have been pretty poor more often than not. A club of our size, with our support, should have spent more time at the top table and I don't say we deserve it but I do say that when I compare our success to Leicester, Stoke, Norwich, Forest, Portsmouth, Middlebourough, Ipswich, Wolves, Southampton, Watford  even the likes of QPR or Wigan I would argue strongly we have seriously underperformed against where we should be. I can count the cup runs on one hand in my lifetime - it's a really poor return on investment and I hope we balance it up a bit in the next half of my life supporting them.

Drinking the Devils Advocaat... If we have "seriously under performed"  over what?  The past 40-45 odd years?  Surely that is our norm?  Our Average? Ergo, not "under performing".  Or only under performing compared to the previous 10 years.
One could argue that 1968-1978 (at best!) was "over performing"!  

I've absolutely no idea of the stats, but taking our annual league positions and cup runs into consideration, over that 40 year or so period, I'd fully expect us to be somewhere between the 25th and 35th best team in the Country.  I'd certainly be surprised if we were in the top 20.  We're probably bang on our average, right now, this week!

Actually, It'd be nice to know the facts, if someone has the time, energy and inclination!  There must be some way of working it out... although time consuming, no doubt!

2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Drinking the Devils Advocaat... If we have "seriously under performed"  over what?  The past 40-45 odd years?  Surely that is our norm?  Our Average? Ergo, not "under performing".  Or only under performing compared to the previous 10 years.
One could argue that 1968-1978 (at best!) was "over performing"!  

I've absolutely no idea of the stats, but taking our annual league positions and cup runs into consideration, over that 40 year or so period, I'd fully expect us to be somewhere between the 25th and 35th best team in the Country.  I'd certainly be surprised if we were in the top 20.  We're probably bang on our average, right now, this week!

Actually, It'd be nice to know the facts, if someone has the time, energy and inclination!  There must be some way of working it out... although time consuming, no doubt!

Apparantly, we average 20th historically .  Permanently, bottom of the top division.  I would imagine the purgatory of the current championship spell has dropped us into this relegation trouble.

4 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Apparantly, we average 20th historically .  Permanently, bottom of the top division.  I would imagine the purgatory of the current championship spell has dropped us into this relegation trouble.

Well, if that's a fact... and up to date, I'm pleasantry surprised.  Is that full history though, or over the past 40 odd years?  

(My post being in response to @BaaLocks', and his reference to being "fortunate enough - just - to see the glory years" and him referring to the "under performing" since.)

My Rams era is mid 80s to present. 

1. The fat Czech selling off Goddard, Saunders, Wright and anyone else worth 50p.

2. Hysel costing us playing in Europe that season 

3. Mick Harford scoring for Luton whilst playing for us

4. Every season changing injury from McMinn through to Marriott

5. Smith's sign young Brits policy that ended our initial Premiership run, and watching Leicester have reasonable success from a comparable position in the same era. Wonder how we would have gone if Mac stepped up then. 

6. Some of the drivel we've brought in when cost cutting was necessary and that miserable couple of seasons at the bottom of the championship. 

7. Every over inflated contract that has hampered us - Ravanelli, Davis etc. 

8. Selling off players for a pittance - Huddlestone stands out, likewise losing players like Barnes for free because injury effectively ended their career. 

9. Selling off our player of the season countless times

10. More bad managerial appointments than good. 

11. Too much chopping and changing as well

Sure there's more. 

Slightly left field ones:

1) Poom scoring against us

2) Amazing long range goal by Mark Paterson at the BBG in a night time league cup tie (Stockport County?) being expunged from the record books when the game was abandoned due to fog. He also got a serious injury that night - sadly that wasn't negated by the fog.

3) My old man not letting me have a bet on Mark Wright at 33-1 to be first England scorer v Egypt in Italy '90. Only time a current Rams player had scored for England since the '70s I think.

4) Mentioned already but Martin's sending off at Burnley. Outrageous. Proper sliding doors moment. Burnley have never looked back. Should have been Derby.

41 minutes ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

Slightly left field ones:

1) Poom scoring against us

Of all the (uncountable) goals conceded against former Rams players, over the years, I'd say this was bottom of the list, where bitterness is concerned.  Even allowing for the fact that it was a late equaliser, and thus cost us 2 points, that was a fantastic goal, by a fantastic player... and his "celebration" was as respectful (towards DCFC) as it could have possibly been.

Absolutely no bitterness for that, from me.  

POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

33 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Kevin Hector’s header for England against Poland being cleared off the line, Yeah it was an England bit of bitterness but if anyone deserved a goal for his country it was King Kev.

Good point.  The fact that Zak made only 2 substitute appearances and Charlie George only played once for England and then you look at some of the charlatans that get tens of caps these days ?

I bet they are not happy about the differences in pay either.

2 hours ago, Rample said:

My Rams era is mid 80s to present. 

1. The fat Czech selling off Goddard, Saunders, Wright and anyone else worth 50p.

2. Hysel costing us playing in Europe that season 

3. Mick Harford scoring for Luton whilst playing for us

4. Every season changing injury from McMinn through to Marriott

5. Smith's sign young Brits policy that ended our initial Premiership run, and watching Leicester have reasonable success from a comparable position in the same era. Wonder how we would have gone if Mac stepped up then. 

6. Some of the drivel we've brought in when cost cutting was necessary and that miserable couple of seasons at the bottom of the championship. 

7. Every over inflated contract that has hampered us - Ravanelli, Davis etc. 

8. Selling off players for a pittance - Huddlestone stands out, likewise losing players like Barnes for free because injury effectively ended their career. 

9. Selling off our player of the season countless times

10. More bad managerial appointments than good. 

11. Too much chopping and changing as well

Sure there's more. 

Same era as me.

Re. Number 2 - This still. And probably for the rest of life has me thinking 'What could of been' 

57 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Of all the (uncountable) goals conceded against former Rams players, over the years, I'd say this was bottom of the list, where bitterness is concerned.  Even allowing for the fact that it was a late equaliser, and thus cost us 2 points, that was a fantastic goal, by a fantastic player... and his "celebration" was as respectful (towards DCFC) as it could have possibly been.

Absolutely no bitterness for that, from me.  

POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

No bitterness towards Poom, who is a legend. It's more that these things always get done against us - we never do them to other teams. Like the Bury FA Cup Final record, etc..

23 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Every minute of that day against Man U was horrible.. I’m still not over it. You’re scum for even mentioning it again.. ?

On and off the pitch was a crap day. I still feel that, that day was the end of an era. I still hate Man Utd so much because of that day. 

I even hate Hillsboro, I hate Sheff Weds for have a ground that we were beaten at. Scum.. I hate all teams that wear red ever since. 

I was in full B4 mode that year. Winning the FA Cup was everything and only Man U in the way. Tommy Todger and a poo team. 

Oh and I hate Yorkshire as well.. And Lancashire.. And Chips (I had chips that day) devils food now. 

Im going for a lie down.. Might watch Paulo’s goal again though.

You forgot Jack Taylor disallowing a perfectly good David Nish goal, How the duck can you be offside when you passed to yourself.

Archived