As A Derby Fan What Are You Most Bitter About?

Bob The Badger

2 hours ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

2) Amazing long range goal by Mark Paterson at the BBG in a night time league cup tie (Stockport County?) being expunged from the record books when the game was abandoned due to fog. He also got a serious injury that night - sadly that wasn't negated by the fog.

Burnley if I remember correctly.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Of all the (uncountable) goals conceded against former Rams players, over the years, I'd say this was bottom of the list, where bitterness is concerned.  Even allowing for the fact that it was a late equaliser, and thus cost us 2 points, that was a fantastic goal, by a fantastic player... and his "celebration" was as respectful (towards DCFC) as it could have possibly been.

Absolutely no bitterness for that, from me.  

POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Agree - it was a belter of a header from a superb keeper who is still rightfully loved here.

28 minutes ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

No bitterness towards Poom, who is a legend. It's more that these things always get done against us - we never do them to other teams. Like the Bury FA Cup Final record, etc..

But that I also agree with! It's such a Derby County thing to happen. I was sat there in the NE corner and when he came up for the corner I said out loud "he's going to score". I just knew it, because why wouldn't he? It's Derby County for crying out loud!

6 hours ago, Red_Dawn said:

Nah. Staying on topic.. 

Lets have a look at what you could have won!

80893484f94304ee550deec8532ad248.jpg

I don't mind that.

In Fact i'm pleased you won it.

why?

because cloughie said his Derby were team were better ???

I only started watching us in 2001 so these can't really compete with clough years. 

1) 3 amigos- they caused havoc and sold off our best assets for a pittance. Under Burley we saw beautiful football and could have had some real success if only we hadn't had Jeremy Keith at the helm... 

2) Marriott not starting at Wembley- If we'd have started with the team that finished that game we'd have won and gone up. 

3) Keeping Jewell- We blew our shot of getting up the next year by signing so many useless players. We 'rebuilt' the squad with utter dross which held us back for years afterwards. 

4) 2014-2015 season- Just THE most frustrating season that I can remember. Without our squad being decimated by injuries we storm the league that season and would have in my opinion established ourselves as a good premier league side. 

5) General stupidity and mismanagement- I don't know why but we as a club do seem to suffer exceptionally badly with generally awful decisions at the top and mismanagement. Luckily we seem to be in cracking hands with Mel. I'm just hoping that gypsy curse has finally lost its power.... 

On 06/10/2019 at 20:58, G STAR RAM said:

Missing out on Europe due to English clubs being banned.

Did not see it as such a big thing at the time but, as I get older and it ever happening seems to become more a remote possibility, I have become even more bitter about it.

Absolutely detest Liverpool.

I’m amazed this is the first mention. The definition of bitterness for me. Denied as a 10 year old to travel away to Europe with my dad watching Deano, Oohmark and Shiltz. Then sold to the bamfords that caused us to miss out. I laugh every time Liverpool ‘slip up’ and they are the only English team I never support in Europe. Whole lot of them are arrogant self absorbed entitled whining  bamfords. 

Is that bitter enough for the thread?

11 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Well, if that's a fact... and up to date, I'm pleasantry surprised.  Is that full history though, or over the past 40 odd years?  

(My post being in response to @BaaLocks', and his reference to being "fortunate enough - just - to see the glory years" and him referring to the "under performing" since.)

In terms of all time performance we are 16th if you take this format

https://www.worldfootball.net/alltime_table/eng-premier-league/

And 11th in two points for a win

https://www.worldfootball.net/alltime_table/eng-premier-league/

Yet for Premier League we are 36th, showing our performance since the EPL was started has been way below that in the rest of our history

https://www.statbunker.com/alltimestats/AllTimeLeagueTable?comp_code=EPL

To answer the question, I just wanted to highlight (and I know the grass is always greener, many Pompey fans would swop with us in a heartbeat) that many other clubs of similar size as us have achieved levels of success that we have not matched. We've had our Bald Eagle days, we all roared when Trevor Christie scored against Rotherham but I am saying that I don't think we have done the things since 1976 that have matched the following:

Leicester: League Cup win under O'Neill, can't think of anything else

Stoke: FA Cup final

Norwich: League Cup win, victory against Bayern Munoch

Forest: FA Cup final, League Cup final, would have been nice if they'd ever done anything in Europe

Portsmouth: FA Cup

Middlebourough: UEFA Cup Final, League Cup, FA Cup final

Ipswich: UEFA Cup, FA Cup

Wolves: League Cup, Europa League

Southampton: FA Cup final

Watford: Two FA Cup finals

Wigan: FA Cup win

Coventry: FA Cup win

Hull: FA Cup final

I'm not saying I wanted to get tonked 6-0 at Wembley off Man City but the point is they got there. I'm not even thinking about teams like Bournemouth or Swansea that have established themselves for long periods in the top flight.

Leeds United. Bielsa sending a spy to watch our training sessions. The fact that to this day their fans are trying to justify it.

Although at the same time I will confess to being slightly envious of how Leeds fans rally behind their club and defend it so passionately rightly or wrongly when outsiders are attack it.

Still bitter though. Still catch myself shaking my head how low they stooped.

2 minutes ago, David said:

Leeds United. Bielsa sending a spy to watch our training sessions. The fact that to this day their fans are trying to justify it.

Although at the same time I will confess to being slightly envious of how Leeds fans rally behind their club and defend it so passionately rightly or wrongly when outsiders are attack it.

That's how you get a club that's universally disliked, when you can't even have a reasoned discussion.

5 minutes ago, David said:

It amazes me that there are a number of their fans that say it was our fault, and can't believe we complained about it, still, then have the gall to say we can't forget about it and keep going on about it. Yeah cos you talk about it every 30 seconds, knobs. 

6 minutes ago, Srg said:

That's how you get a club that's universally disliked, when you can't even have a reasoned discussion.

I think there is a balance to be had without going full Leeds, where you can not condone the actions of the manager without attacking him or the club. 

That incident shouldn’t have had the prolonged discussions it had, but part of me admired their defence of the club. 

8 minutes ago, rynny said:

It amazes me that there are a number of their fans that say it was our fault, and can't believe we complained about it, still, then have the gall to say we can't forget about it and keep going on about it. Yeah cos you talk about it every 30 seconds, knobs. 

Look at the Lawrence and Bennett situation now, they are all over it whilst they have had 3 players of their own caught drink driving on 3 separate occasions.

Because no cars were wrapped around lampposts somehow their situations were different and the players didn’t deserve to be sacked where ours does and the FA should step in and remove their licence to play! 

As I just said to Scott, think there’s a balance to be had between us and going full on Leeds! 

On 06/10/2019 at 19:40, ketteringram said:

Remember when things were this simple? That pass ?

Feel so sorry for that lad, he could have been one of the greatest players to wear a Derby shirt, he would have played for England ! He was a premiership player ! Instead of that blighted by injury and what could have been ! 

The juventus thing I'm too young to remember but I never want them to win, so there is bitterness there.

The cup semi? Oh well, it could have been and I was really sad but in the end, it was just a lost football match.

The thing that still gets me is Tommy Docherty. Dismantling a great but diminishing side instead of renewing it with 2 or 3 new signings. And then preparing us for Division 2 by getting in a whole lot of dreck.

The eighties I blame on Tommy Docherty. By this I mean not just the state of DCFC but ducking everything. Thatcher, the Falklands war, unemployment, Duran Duran, everything. Tommy ducking Docherty.

Can I add Rory Delap’s throw ins? 

we at Derby NEVER benefited once positively from a Delap long throw, in fact, I seem to recall flidding out at every game cos he couldn’t even find a team mate with a throw, let alone create a problem for the opposition! We could’ve had a team full of 8ft tall basketball players and it would’ve made no difference to how poo his throws were for us.... couple of seasons later, at Stoke, they’re known as a dangerous weapon! 

Archived