As A Derby Fan What Are You Most Bitter About?

Bob The Badger

12 hours ago, Sweetness34 said:

Mine's a random one, but losing to Boro in the FA Cup Quarter Final in '97 and then seeing them drawn against Chesterfield in the Semi Final.

I was 11 at the time and that was my first genuine taste of disappointment. To this day i'm still annoyed about it. Best chance of seeing us in the FA Cup final by a long way and we blew it

8 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

felt the same against Plymouth in 1984........we could have taken Watford in the semi......?

Same as the United one back in 76, we'd have smashed Southampton in the final that year. 

My avatar would have been Bruce Rioch holding the cup ffs.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Derby blood said:

My is also losing to Plymouth at home, thanks to Steve Cherry, wonder if any of us will see Derby lift the FA Cup, I hope to god I will, I am, 48 years young, so still got time on my side ??

I keep saying it, if it wasn’t for Steve Cherry there wouldn’t have been a replay in the first place. He single handedly kept them at bay at Home Park. Let’s not forget how awful we were in both games! Peter Taylor subbing off Bobby though when we needed a goal-I am a tad bitter about that still!

As for the thread, bitterness has been confused a lot with disappointment I think. However, I am with all those who are still bitter about Liverpool robbing me of the chance to see Derby in Europe. Who knows what might have happened. It still irritates me. 

And the semi final offside decision. Terrible. And Juventus. Cheating bunch of tossers. Why do so many parents allow their children to stroll around in Juventus tops? 

And Pat Van der Hauwe  for his tackle on McMinn. At least Gerry Gow chose someone who wasn’t very good to maim. 

Now I have got started I don’t think I can stop!! 

9 hours ago, Derby blood said:

My is also losing to Plymouth at home, thanks to Steve Cherry, wonder if any of us will see Derby lift the FA Cup, I hope to god I will, I am, 48 years young, so still got time on my side ??

Tbf we played poorly as a team. Wasn’t down to 1 player that we lost.

but it was a dark period in our history and it just felt like a big chance blown when confidence in our ability to improve was low.

76 was disappointing - but I remember thinking at the time it didn’t matter cos we’d do it next season. There was no suggestion we were about to hit such a steep spiral of decline that would take us so low.

On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 17:22, Mucker1884 said:

Well, if that's a fact... and up to date, I'm pleasantry surprised.  Is that full history though, or over the past 40 odd years?  

(My post being in response to @BaaLocks', and his reference to being "fortunate enough - just - to see the glory years" and him referring to the "under performing" since.)

Sorry for the late reply.  That's full history.

On 07/10/2019 at 00:47, uttoxram75 said:

I was there with the other old uns, Juventus, Clough, all that. Far too much to be bitter about but in modern times Martins sending off really riles me.

1. It was a penalty. Martins standing foot was taken, no drama, no diving, no appeal, straight forward foul and stonewall penalty.

2. Hendrick smashed the ball into the goal before the ref had given the decision so it even took the pressure off him, he didn't have to give the penalty, could just of let the goal stand.

3. The ref was a Bamford.

4. We would have beaten Burnley to automatic promotion that year and gone up with a midfield of Bryson, Hughes, Hendrick....we had a solid framework of good young players, a couple of intelligent signings would have seen us thrive and establish in the Prem.

5. The ref was a Bamford.

About a minute in.

Although I don't believe the ref cheated, i still believe he allowed Martins reputation to influence him in that game, subconsciously maybe.

Would be interesting if that happened today with VAR.

16 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

About a minute in.

Although I don't believe the ref cheated, i still believe he allowed Martins reputation to influence him in that game, subconsciously maybe.

Would be interesting if that happened today with VAR.

I'd forgot the first yellow card was a terrible decision as well ?

Just now, uttoxram75 said:

I'd forgot the first yellow card was a terrible decision as well ?

Burnley player rolling about like a proper bamford.

Martin is a lot slimmer these days isnt he.

On 07/10/2019 at 18:56, Pearl Ram said:

Kevin Hector’s header for England against Poland being cleared off the line, Yeah it was an England bit of bitterness but if anyone deserved a goal for his country it was King Kev.

Went down to watch that game just in case he got on the pitch at some stage .I stood next to this guy slagging off Chivers  ,Arsenal fan are you I asked .No mate I support Spurs but he's crap. 

On 08/10/2019 at 08:28, David said:

Leeds United. Bielsa sending a spy to watch our training sessions. The fact that to this day their fans are trying to justify it.

Although at the same time I will confess to being slightly envious of how Leeds fans rally behind their club and defend it so passionately rightly or wrongly when outsiders are attack it.

Still bitter though. Still catch myself shaking my head how low they stooped.

Recent convert to Derby are you?

The performance by my team at home to also relegated Reading on the final home game of the infamous premier league season.

I could take being outperformed, thrashes and beaten by so many good teams, there was at least some semblance of effort but in that final game the team just didn't bother, already on the beach I think most of them.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

The performance by my team at home to also relegated Reading on the final home game of the infamous premier league season.

I could take being outperformed, thrashes and beaten by so many good teams, there was at least some semblance of effort but in that final game the team just didn't bother, already on the beach I think most of them.

Pretty sure Reading wasn't relegated until the end of the game. They had something to play for.

Archived