Has your faith in the club been tested?

RamLad1884

1 hour ago, RamLad1884 said:

Speaking to some fans at the game yesterday and otherwise, there seemed to be a few that genuinely felt like they couldn't support Derby over the issues over the last few months. 

Just curious as to whether that feeling is among the fans? Has everyone stuck by Derby no matter what, or have you felt your support tested by recent events? 

If they're "real" fans then I'm sure it's just a knee jerk reaction whilst emotions are still running high. Give most of them a day or two and they'll get over it. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not in the least. I support the club. Players come and go. Some are heroes for a while, a special few  remain and become part of the fabric of the club. Others are footnotes in scandals or just also rans

i do have a tinge of sadness though. 

In a naive way, despite my age, I still need heroes on the pitch and want them to be more than mortal. Quite often and especially after this week they fail.

you see young Lowe and Bogle. You want them to be characters from the daring book for boys. Maybe they are;  but it’s clear to me now that several, more than Bennett and Lawrence, are p heads without a Corinthian blood cell between them and I shed a silent tear.

Malone is a gritty passionate player with some skill - I liked the idea that he’s a bit of an oddball and not a fan favourite but gets stuck in. Yesterday he got booked for a late tackle, the instant thought a week ago would have been “sod it but you have to take one for the team sometimes” .. in fact if he had been a touch fitter and not been on the booze, might he not have made a clean tackle ? My desire to admire is diminished and with it some of the match day joy. 

2 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

I grew up near the old Baseball Ground with the Normanton end floodlights shining into my bedroom. 

I experienced the Brian Clough years with the best team in Europe on my doorstep.

Not be a Derby fan???

Me too. Within earshot in Dairyhouse Road from age 8 to 14 (until my Dad moved us to Valley Road Chaddesden)

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

The only way it would be tested would be if the club came out and failed to acknowledge what those involved had done. A bit like when Liverpool came out in support of Luis Suarez after the Evra incident. I still have a soft spot for them for family reasons and I hate how people generalise about them, but the way the club as a whole handled that incident was disgraceful.

sorry i dont understand how you think the handling of the situation by the club is disgraceful?It seems that the club insured that transport was there for any players who needed it,just because 3 idiots decided differently is not the clubs fault. The legal side must come first,a custodial sentence  may well trump anything that the club has lined up for them         

Absolutely no way, this club has been around for over 135 years, in that time there have been many tests this is just another blip in that long journey, a few who represent the club have let us down, they have taken advantage of their privileged position and acted in a thoughtless manner, that does not detract from my support of Derby County, we are a great club and always will be in my opinion, any body who could let these individuals effect their support once again in my opinion is not in it for the long term.

Just now, TommyPowel said:

sorry i dont understand how you think the handling of the situation by the club is disgraceful?It seems that the club insured that transport was there for any players who needed it,just because 3 idiots decided differently is not the clubs fault. The legal side must come first,a custodial sentence  may well trump anything that the club has lined up for them         

I'm talking about Liverpool with the Suarez racism incident!

The only way it would be tested would be if the club came out and failed to acknowledge what those involved had done. A bit like when Liverpool came out in support of Luis Suarez after the Evra incident. I still have a soft spot for them for family reasons and I hate how people generalise about them, but the way the club as a whole handled that incident was disgraceful.

Sorry i am confused what did you expect the club to do?

3 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

Sorry i am confused what did you expect the club to do?

It seems I wasn't clear enough in my previous post. The 'disgraceful' handling I spoke of was in relation to how Liverpool came out in support of Luis Suarez after he racially abused Patrice Evra. What I meant to suggest was that it would take a monumental misstep like that from Derby to ever test my faith.

30 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

It seems I wasn't clear enough in my previous post. The 'disgraceful' handling I spoke of was in relation to how Liverpool came out in support of Luis Suarez after he racially abused Patrice Evra. What I meant to suggest was that it would take a monumental misstep like that from Derby to ever test my faith.

Ooops i read to mean our club had been a disgrace re the drunken 3

No, because this was not the club's fault. It was the fault of three "professionals" (i use the term loosely) who thought that they didn't have to obey the rules set down by the club hierarchy.  

Mel Morris didn't have to do what he did yesterday, but to do it shows how much he cares about the club and the fans.  Not many business owners would go round their customers and apologise because some of their employees couldnt obey simple rules and instead behaved like idiots.  The only way my faith in the club would be shaken is if (irrelevant of the court case) DCFC didnt impose any punishment on the individuals concerned.  

I'll always support this club. We have been massively let down by these 3 idiots and genuinely hope we sack them all. Im gutted for Mel Morris who has done everything for this club, but unfortunately hasn't got the rewards for that hard work. These 3 have given him a real kick in the balls. 

I believe that this incident will refocus everyone at the club from the remaining players to the manager to US the fans. 

3 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

Speaking to some fans at the game yesterday and otherwise, there seemed to be a few that genuinely felt like they couldn't support Derby over the issues over the last few months. 

Just curious as to whether that feeling is among the fans? Has everyone stuck by Derby no matter what, or have you felt your support tested by recent events? 

No you didn't. I've never met a fellow fan who has even hinted at something along those lines. We support our club - players, managers, owners come and go but the club remains a constant and we always support them. We've been through way worse than this, nearly going bust in the early 80s, Maxwell in the late 80s, Jeremy Keith and his train set, the list goes on. I'm not sure what the issues are you speak of (aside from this weeks) but if we start winning every week, you'll be surprised how quickly they are forgotten. 

7 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

No you didn't. I've never met a fellow fan who has even hinted at something along those lines. We support our club - players, managers, owners come and go but the club remains a constant and we always support them. We've been through way worse than this, nearly going bust in the early 80s, Maxwell in the late 80s, Jeremy Keith and his train set, the list goes on. I'm not sure what the issues are you speak of (aside from this weeks) but if we start winning every week, you'll be surprised how quickly they are forgotten. 

Disagree with what he is saying fine, but don't accuse him of lying.

Not at all.

I can't think why anyone would. To pick up on some of the 'concerns' some of raised on here, or potential issues that may be being referred to.

1. Last week - no way, Derby responded correctly and made it clear that the players have let us down.

2. The Rooney transfer - I just don't get he negativity towards this, he is still a top player, its already been confirmed that the extra sponsorship will pretty much cover his salary. Even if he is rubbish for us I can't see it being a bad deal.

3. The stadium issue. Still don't think its dodgy, its only the reaction from other clubs/fans that its even being talked about. If Middlesborough had done it those fans moaning about it would probably be saying why didn't we do that.

4. Lampard to Chelsea - yeah it was drawn out but don't see how we could have done anything any different. Mel was clear on numerous occasions that the ball was in Chelsea's court. It took them an age to make an approach, and it still took a while after but that was there prerogative. Lets face it if we had tried in anyway shape or form to play hardball then we weren't going to win against Chelsea. We obviously had everything lined up ready for when it did happen with the speed the Cocu appointment was made.

5. The night out after the play off win. We had best part of two weeks, if you can't have a drink then when can you.

6. Spygate - handled very well by the club and lampard. Leeds and Bielsas response was appalling, especially the press conference/powerpoint presentation. People kept moaning about lampard going on about it, he was questioned about it for weeks, it was more a media obsession than lampard going on about it.

Archived