Has your faith in the club been tested?

RamLad1884

No, I still support my club and think they’ve handled the whole sorry situation very well so far. I will, however, be extremely unhappy if any of those three idiots ever pulls on the shirt again.

I did notice yesterday though that there were several empty seats near me that are usually filled by season ticket holders. They may have been absent for other reasons, I guess. See whether they’re back or not next Saturday.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of my ramblings over the past few days may have given the impression that I had lost faith in the club.  I blame my poor writing skills on that, as that most certainly is not the case.

Individuals aside, As far as the club is concerned, I do want to see how they react overall, but obviously, that all has to wait anyway, so wait we shall.  
I've said I don't even know how I want the club to react.  What I want them to do about this week's shenanigans.  I guess when it is time for decisions to be made... and the club make them... I will decide how happy (or not) I am with said decisions.

Regardless of that outcome, I seriously doubt I will turn my back on the club... even those making the decisions won't be here forever.  Individuals will make those decisions, not DCFC.

As for the other stuff...

Jury's out on Rooney, but I don't think I'll ever have strong opinions on it, either way.

The stadium buy out seems fantastic, to this particular gullible amateur.

The club/Mel/Frank/ dealt with the spygate crap impeccably, imo.

As for this week specifically, I think the club have handled the situation as well as anyone could hope/expect thus far.. and that includes the turn-around with the captains armband, once Huddlestone's video came to light.  Play yes.  Captain, no.  So all good in my opinion.

Overall, I don't recall ever being as proud of our chairman/owner-bloke as I have/do with Mel.  But whether that changes some time soon (I don't expect it to) or not, There will still be DCFC... My DCFC... long after they have gone!

So... erm... No!

Think the club has been run like a pub team recently, but that hasn’t waived my support. Whenever they go onto the pitch I will always back them 100%, didn’t understand the call for backing yesterday as this should happen regardless of last weeks events, the I’m going to show my support now - why wasn’t you in the first place ??

Was very disappointed with last weeks events, and also hope the individuals get the punishment they deserve, however by the same token hope the club helps support them in their rehabilitation. They are still Derby players, and if they show remorse for their actions I hope the club helps them along that journey. If that’s at another club then so be it, if it’s at Derby they will also get my support if that happens.

Appreciate that will differ from most people’s views, but never once in the years I have supported the team thought I have had enough. (The GRs years were close though)

43 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Disagree with what he is saying fine, but don't accuse him of lying.

Thanks for letting me know what's fine, and what isn't, in your opinion. For the record, I'm quite happy to accuse people of lying, because people do. On this occasion though, I'm not - I'm accusing the poster of finding an inference that wasn't there. Call it a confirmation bias if you like but I suspect said poster is mistaken.

57 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

No you didn't. I've never met a fellow fan who has even hinted at something along those lines. We support our club - players, managers, owners come and go but the club remains a constant and we always support them. We've been through way worse than this, nearly going bust in the early 80s, Maxwell in the late 80s, Jeremy Keith and his train set, the list goes on. I'm not sure what the issues are you speak of (aside from this weeks) but if we start winning every week, you'll be surprised how quickly they are forgotten. 

I'm not even going to respond to your first line. 

While I agree that winning will likely cause most to forget, I think you need to consider for a good percentage of fans this is the most trouble we've seen at the club (think people born 90s onwards). Even that Premier season was just bad for footballing reasons really. 

It's a good discussion to have either way and your input is appreciated. 

4 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

Speaking to some fans at the game yesterday and otherwise, there seemed to be a few that genuinely felt like they couldn't support Derby over the issues over the last few months. 

Just curious as to whether that feeling is among the fans? Has everyone stuck by Derby no matter what, or have you felt your support tested by recent events? 

Then them fans can bugger off then we don’t need them. 

4 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

It was tested for a day, I’m not going to lie.

But then you go to the game and that feeling just comes back.

Plus I’ve just watched a video by this chap, this is what it’s all about.

He's on the DCFC 1884 facebook page and thought this was a brilliant post. He's always really positive and kinda made my day seeing this

4 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

It was tested for a day, I’m not going to lie.

But then you go to the game and that feeling just comes back.

Plus I’ve just watched a video by this chap, this is what it’s all about.

This chap is great; I follow him on Twitter; Lovely how football brings people on different parts of the Globe together. 

52 minutes ago, Saffy van der Ram said:

No, I still support my club and think they’ve handled the whole sorry situation very well so far. I will, however, be extremely unhappy if any of those three idiots ever pulls on the shirt again.

I did notice yesterday though that there were several empty seats near me that are usually filled by season ticket holders. They may have been absent for other reasons, I guess. See whether they’re back or not next Saturday.

We noticed a lot of empty season ticket seats round us too. Maybe late holidays, I’d like to think so. 
The only time I will be very upset is if any of them set foot back in the team. 

5 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

Speaking to some fans at the game yesterday and otherwise, there seemed to be a few that genuinely felt like they couldn't support Derby over the issues over the last few months. 

Just curious as to whether that feeling is among the fans? Has everyone stuck by Derby no matter what, or have you felt your support tested by recent events? 

The events of last Tuesday/Wednesday gave me a mixture of emotions: shock, anger, sorrow, disappointment, frustration.

But after yesterday, I think the Club has emerged quite quickly due to the way they have dealt with it. There has been a great honesty and openness. I think it has perhaps helped fans to bond a little more with Mr Cocu and empathise with the difficulty of the job a bit more.

The players concerned have no real excuse; I appreciate that they are under scrutiny a lot more than the norm. I do wonder if TL and MB have personal issues that perhaps the Club need to help them with. I know that TL lost his mother relatively recently and I suspect he hasn't recovered from that. I also wonder if the pressure of trying to make it in the game since he was 17 has had an impact on MB in a way that has gone undetected hitherto? 

None of the events have caused me to question my allegiance to Derby County, which is life-long. There is nothing like the feeling of belonging and the range of emotions (!) that your football club gives you. It really does feel like it's in your DNA. 

A few years ago, a Sky sports advert showed a dad talking to his son at a match, saying "Choose your club wisely, because once you have,

its yours for life".

I am well impressed with the the club have handled this. The club statement, whilst having a very hard, tough sound to it, also has a conciliatory air to it with talk of rehabilitation. I think a lot of thought went into the wording because they did have come across as tough, but also have to "hold the door open" for the miscreants who are innocent until proved guilty. Things have moved on since the statement, with guilt being somewhat more clear, but the club had to be firm, yet even-handed.

I am surprised that Mel doesn't walk with bowed legs, because it required big balls to walk around the stadium for an hour or so before the match with apparently no body guards. Good on you, Mel. My daughter had a photo taken with him, and I simply shook his hand and said "Keep on doing what you are doing, we are behind you". I am pretty sure that most, if not all, think that he has been badly let down, and that his trust in his players has been betrayed.

Mel was saying to people that it was his fault. The instant response is to think "No way", but his statement is more a taking of responsibility because it has happened under his ownership. he club had put on a team bonding event, including a meal at a restaurant, with the event scheduled to end at around 8 pm. A long enough day for most of us, but they allowed the players to stay on to continue their bonding without club staff being around - quite a good approach, and demonstrates a trust in the players to do what is right, and an understanding that sometimes it is necessary for the players to be free of the bosses hanging around. This is where the problems came, because the players behaved like a bunch of kids lfet at home while mum and dad pop out for an hour or so.

I have to admit that when I found out about the fiasco, and that Keogh was out for the season, I felt like I did when George Thorne did his ACL in the pre-season. Given the impact of his first season with us, much of our hopes revolved around George running the midfield show. In a similar, but lesser sense, our season seemed to depend on our ever-present defender, and now he was gone. 

I am also impressed by the response of the fans at the match yesterday - the support, and the noise was pretty good for much of the game, with no sighs and boos, apart from the cheating, diving Birmingham players! And the fact the the majority of the South Standers stayed behind to applaud the team afterwards.

In the end, a true fan can never stop supporting their club.

I’ve followed this club through thick and thin for nearly 40 years and while I’ve been utterly p*ssed off with numerous players, managers and owners over that time I have never ever lost my faith in the Rams.

A couple of of utter morons who have no respect for the privileged position they are in playing for the Rams will never change that.

I can understand that a few folk were put off from attending. I wasn't as enthusiastic as normal. Indeed if i didn't have a season ticket, i think i wouldn't have bothered. 

We like to have that connection with the players - even if its imaginary - and they certainly pished on our parade. 

But a win, a decent game, the feelgood factor associated with chris martin, and the new choice of captain has done much to lift the spirits. A draw wouldn't have bothered me. Birmingham deserved a point, but we'll take it. 

today i'm feeling somewhat more conciliatory 

No, not yet anyway. I do not and will not support bennett, Lawrence or Keogh again. But I still very much support Derby county, and the remaining players and coaching staff- none of whom deserve to be in such a difficult situation. And I will always support Derby county, it’s my club and always will be.

That’s not to say I’ll always back decisions made by the club mind, and if I feel the club has made a morally wrong decision, or something severely detrimental to our future, then I’ll make my feelings known- as I’m sure will others, through some sort of protest. I await to see how the club deals with the players involved before deciding if I can back them on this decision. Obviously no call will be made until after the internal and criminal investigations have concluded so we can’t make any decision yet, but I must admit I didn’t like the clubs statement about rehabilitation at the club. I’m all for them turning their lives around and getting a chance elsewhere, but they can’t do it here imo. All 3 should be sacked as soon as possible. Obviously the clubs made decisions before that I’ve disagreed with, but none as significant from a moral standpoint as the call they’ll soon have to make. I won’t stand by if they make the wrong decision, I don’t want those three in a Derby shirt again. If they do, I’ll make my feelings towards them known.

But this is all too early to be talking about really. FWIW all the other things we’ve been in the media about lately I’ve no problem with. Don’t care about clever accounting around ffp because it’s a load of poo anyway. Nor do I care about the rooney signing, in fact I’m delighted with it (provided he’s turned his life around after his drink driving incident!). So at the moment, no issues with the club, just with some select individuals.

Archived