Cocu

Rammeister

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said at the beginning of the season that I hoped Cocu was a slow burner and that I would come to admire him over time.

I like that he's not shoved himself into our faces and that he's only gradually building that bond with the fans. To be honest, I was sucked in by Frank and Jody's passionate embrace of all things Derby, which made me feel very let down when they buggered off with barely a backward glance! 

I am not always understanding what Cocu is trying to acheive on the pitch. Maybe yesterday it was a little clearer but I feel he hasn't yet got the full personnel to play his way but I want to see what his football will look like when he brings in more of his own type of players.

I think he has handled this week's events with great dignity and that has made me warm to him even more. I'm still not boiling but definitely on the simmer.

The team is slowly coming round to the way he wants to play players are having to adapt and injuries at rb have not helped.

He says himself players have to learn to do things differently than they are used to yesterday he said Paterson has taken time to adapt from what he was before at Bristol..Yesterday you began to see him growing into the new role,has for Zoon he obviously knows how good he can be and is showing he has faith  in him to come good.

Cocu has said the same about Shinnie he needs time to adapt to a different way.In January we can bring in ready made players for the way he wants to play.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I said at the beginning of the season that I hoped Cocu was a slow burner and that I would come to admire him over time.

I like that he's not shoved himself into our faces and that he's only gradually building that bond with the fans. To be honest, I was sucked in by Frank and Jody's passionate embrace of all things Derby, which made me feel very let down when they buggered off with barely a backward glance! 

I am not always understanding what Cocu is trying to acheive on the pitch. Maybe yesterday it was a little clearer but I feel he hasn't yet got the full personnel to play his way but I want to see what his football will look like when he brings in more of his own type of players.

I think he has handled this week's events with great dignity and that has made me warm to him even more. I'm still not boiling but definitely on the simmer.

I am not so sure about the backward glance thing. Frank only said last week (in an interview about Chelsea) that there was no way he would have gone to any other club than Chelsea from Derby. He didn't have to put the comment to answer the question posed to him.

And I believe that Jody has travelled up a few times when he can already to spend time with friends he made whilst here.

Grown on me, felt like he was going to be one of those that just doesn't work out....but hope not. I like his calm and measured approach, think we need the calming influence of the current staff, especially in light of last weeks shenanigans. Was always a fan of FL and JM but i'm not sure the jack the lad swagger and bouncing with the fans with heightened social media 'banter' did an awful lot for the professionalism levels? Hope Cocu can focus the players on the massive task in hand of representing our fantastic club.

Early to say, but overall leaning towards slightly positive from neutral. He's been bit too careful and defensive with the tactics for my liking. Luckily, the more attacking approach has brought us points in last two games so I'm hoping to see more of it. Mainly my gripe has been the use of two defensive midfielders which doesn't suit Hudds nor Bielik. Also, the signs are that some of the players are struggling to adapt how he wants us to play and that's a worry. Main skill of manager is to get message through to players... When the game is on, it doesn't matter what the manager knows, it's more about what the players know. Fair to say, we haven't looked like a team which knows what they need to do.

But that's just tactics and reading between the lines, otherwise I'm very pleased. Calm and thoughtful gentleman, what's not to like? And last game we had just one DM, Martin and Paterson playing. Very very happy with that, hope we continue same way.

Must admit I was starting to have real concerns after the Leeds performance, was certainly looking at this match before the weeks events as one where he really needed to show us some direction, because we hadn’t seen much in our awful start. But once you realise the sort of attitudes he was seemingly having to deal with, you realise you need to cut him some slack. FWIW I don’t think his character and professionalism was ever in question, don’t get these people saying he needs to get more involved with the fans. He’s a very articulate bloke, and seems very measured in what he’s doing, I’d rather he just got on with managing the team tbh. 

You look at his reputation, both as a player and a manager, and you have to say it’s surprising Mel managed to get him to come here, and you have to take your hat off to him for doing so. But as always in football, there are no guarantees with managers, particulary ones that don’t know the division. So there’s risk as always that cocu won’t work out as his time in turkey showed. And you still have to have concerns that he may not be able to replicate his so far one off PSV form over here based on what we’ve seen so far, in terms of results and performances. But equally given time to work with the players on his style and adjust to the league, he may well succeed yet, he seems a clever enough bloke to do so. We saw some signs of decent football on Saturday indicating that.

Anyway, we have to look beyond matters on the pitch a little. He’s come into a nightmare situation- first lampard and chelsea faffing leaving him a short pre season, then the recruitment team arsing everything up as per, and now this. He’s been sold a proper dud of a job and he’s shown his professionalism not to resign at this point to be honest. He certainly deserves our support because he didn’t sign up for this.

Definitely think he's a slow burner, but I think that was part of the thinking of giving him the long contract and focus on the youth players.

Started slow at PSV, started slow and got bombed out in Turkey, a slow start was to be expected. However, the last three matches have started to show a little bit and we picked up points, not lost many games and duckst Cup game and Brentford aside I don't think we're awful.

Long way to go, long way, but a little happier we're actually going the right way. But the way he's handled this week has been a credit to him.

1 hour ago, Montgolfier said:

I like the thoughtful approach - but then again, I thought that Clement would be good (for a while he was), so what do I know?

Paul Clement was similarly dry; but I wouldn't describe him as thoughtful. He was as full of repetitive management soundbites as anyone; just emotionless ones. 

Cocu may be very dry and calculated in his interviews/press conferences; but now and again he says things - like the comments about Davies on Saturday - that expose the fact that there's clearly plenty happening behind those lifeless eyebrows ? 

I dno - my impression of Cocu is just that he's different gravy to any manager I've ever seen at Derby. But as others have said he'll rightly be judged on results, and not his demeanor. 

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

On the contrary, to me, there's a real sparkle in his eyes that often betray his generally calm and measured demeanor.

You know I think you're right. I edited my post to improve things.

Cocu has a tough job on his hands, but he will succeed, do not forget Lampard had his tough times, and he had a similar season to Rowett but the product was  Much better, thanks to our loan signings Mount, Wilson and Tomori, with them in the side i think we should have gone up, looking at it now, so Cocu, will get no favours from Chelsea or anyone else Frank did, we are a work in progress time is needed, but in the end Cocu will deliver, you can see how we want to play, and when it comes off it looks good, Rooney will help us reach Cocus next level.

7 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

You know I think you're right. I edited my post to improve things.

?True. His eyebrows are pretty static.

It's interesting what being Derby manager does to a man's head and facial hair.

First, McLaren with his hair island.

Then, Lampard with his growing bald crown.

Now Cocu with his lengthening and growing beard. Not to mention his fringe.

11 hours ago, WHAT DO I GET said:

I am not so sure about the backward glance thing. Frank only said last week (in an interview about Chelsea) that there was no way he would have gone to any other club than Chelsea from Derby. He didn't have to put the comment to answer the question posed to him.

And I believe that Jody has travelled up a few times when he can already to spend time with friends he made whilst here.

I'd be more impressed if he'd lent us a couple of star youngsters rather than had a reunion with his favourite restaurant owner in Belper! 

Archived