Cocu

Rammeister

14 hours ago, Wignall12 said:

Give him time , let him bring his own men in and he will show his mettle. He has inherited a "lucky bag" but some of it has proved to be spanners,  I am behind the guy and wish him well , so should we all COYR !!

Although i get the sentiment I would argue it should never be called a LUCKY bag!!!

13 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

He’s just not very photogenic is he? Last year we had poster boy Lampard and this year we have an ordinary looking bloke. I like him though and desperately want him to succeed. 

This indeed did raise the profile of Derby and put us in the spotlight every week. Not sure it was a great thing. Unfortunately we seem to be putting ourselves in the spotlight for the wrong reasons at the moment.

Hopefully as this dies down and Cocu sticks with his beard and unassuming dis-position, the spotlight will diminish a little and we go under the radar!! 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw Mel outside the Griffin down at Brentford where he said he thought Cocu has had a great impact at the club. Now obviously our owner is hardly going to bury his manager to some random fan after 5/6 games, but given this was directly after the Forest disaster I took this to mean that Mel thinks Cocu is doing very well in the day to day stuff that most of us don’t see.

We only have 2 wins so far this season, but out of the 5 draws we’ve had how many of those games would you argue we edged it or could have won? The only game I’d say we’ve really had to dig in deep for a point was Leeds away, and other than that we’ve created some quality chances in all the other games where we could have actually won. 

I think in spells of games we’ve actually looked very good, but there’s been little consistency so far. Now we finally have a decent run of fixtures, we can start to build some confidence and gain momentum and I’m hoping this will lead to us becoming a bit more consistent. All in all, I’d say Cocu is doing a good job given the circumstances he’s under.

12 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Definitely think he's a slow burner, but I think that was part of the thinking of giving him the long contract and focus on the youth players.

Started slow at PSV, started slow and got bombed out in Turkey, a slow start was to be expected. However, the last three matches have started to show a little bit and we picked up points, not lost many games and duckst Cup game and Brentford aside I don't think we're awful.

Long way to go, long way, but a little happier we're actually going the right way. But the way he's handled this week has been a credit to him.

Key to note his time in Turkey was somewhat doomed from the start where some of the staff at the club were leaking tactics etc to opposition teams. 

Felt a bit sorry for him this past week. He's not been dealt the kindest of hands overall with the injuries to Holmes and Bogle - who you'd say are two key players for this team - and then getting the Forest draw in the cup wasn't ideal either. Would certainly love to know the true story behind the whole Huddlestone captain thing though.

9 minutes ago, Srg said:

Key to note his time in Turkey was somewhat doomed from the start where some of the staff at the club were leaking tactics etc to opposition teams. 

Felt a bit sorry for him this past week. He's not been dealt the kindest of hands overall with the injuries to Holmes and Bogle - who you'd say are two key players for this team - and then getting the Forest draw in the cup wasn't ideal either. Would certainly love to know the true story behind the whole Huddlestone captain thing though.

Poor buggers not had much luck ,we only told him Forest was a big game the day before ,even though it was a tin pot cup.

13 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Early to say, but overall leaning towards slightly positive from neutral. He's been bit too careful and defensive with the tactics for my liking. Luckily, the more attacking approach has brought us points in last two games so I'm hoping to see more of it. Mainly my gripe has been the use of two defensive midfielders which doesn't suit Hudds nor Bielik. Also, the signs are that some of the players are struggling to adapt how he wants us to play and that's a worry. Main skill of manager is to get message through to players... When the game is on, it doesn't matter what the manager knows, it's more about what the players know. Fair to say, we haven't looked like a team which knows what they need to do.

But that's just tactics and reading between the lines, otherwise I'm very pleased. Calm and thoughtful gentleman, what's not to like? And last game we had just one DM, Martin and Paterson playing. Very very happy with that, hope we continue same way.

Which bit of the Leeds game was 'the more attacking approach'

Birmingham was the same formation but he was forced into dropping Holmes into 'the two' and Holmes is clever enough to realise he isn't going to sit.

Therefore, what started on paper as a 4-2-3-1, became 4-3-3 in my eyes with Martin the hold up striker. I wonder who last played that formation with success at Derby????

I hope he watches it back and learns from this team selection. My issue is still how to make that work with Marriott - as quite simply he can't be the one on his own up top.

Also - As soon as he gives up on Flojo we will be a better team. Knight on the wing (Not sure that will work) or give JML a run out there. The other option is put Paterson there and Knight in the middle?

15 hours ago, angieram said:

To be honest, I was sucked in by Frank and Jody's passionate embrace of all things Derby, which made me feel very let down when they buggered off with barely a backward glance! 

I sort of agree your sentiments, but Frank did say some nice things about us when he first joined Chelsea, and you can hardly expect him to comment on Derby now when he has a 100% involving job to do. In fact saying anything could be interpreted as disrespectful to the current manager.

9 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Birmingham was the same formation but he was forced into dropping Holmes into 'the two' and Holmes is clever enough to realise he isn't going to sit.

Therefore, what started on paper as a 4-2-3-1, became 4-3-3 in my eyes with Martin the hold up striker. I wonder who last played that formation with success at Derby????

I hope he watches it back and learns from this team selection. My issue is still how to make that work with Marriott - as quite simply he can't be the one on his own up top.

Also - As soon as he gives up on Flojo we will be a better team. Knight on the wing (Not sure that will work) or give JML a run out there. The other option is put Paterson there and Knight in the middle?

Big Darren wassall??

16 hours ago, RamNut said:

So far all the significant events are happening around him. Its impossible to know what he's really about. 

All managers are ultimately judged on their signings, and recruitment seems to be our weak link rather than his.

If he signs a couple of gems from Holland in January then we might have a bit more of a clue. 

Sat on Le Shuttle and catching up on latest news, about to drive up to Eindhoven for a few days holiday.

If I spot anyone half-decent I’ll let you know, my commission is very reasonable ???

Cocu has done well so far since we have lost three extremely important players from last season. The team is a bit weaker. However the Forest team selection was disappointing. Also, isn’t it a bit concerning how we are trying to play out from the keeper almost every time under his instruction? Birmingham and any high press team know this and almost took advantage. He has got a lot of stuff right though- Bringing back Martin, getting young players some chances at the end of matches, handling events last week etc.

Its all kinda been said, no pre season to speak of, very little time to have a proper look at what was needed, sparse understanding of the Championship. So, he brings in people who can advise, which shows intelligence not arrogance, brings in a big money signing to 'build for the future around' (who is still finding his feet too, but i belueve will come good) .

Then for weeks his squad is beset with injuries so he cant field or trsin with a full squad, let alone decide on his best side, his personal 'philosophy' may not yet be achievable with the players he has fit atm? Yet despite all this people people criticize and show no understanding? 

For my 4peneth, Cocu is a very technical football manager, an astute man manager, and a man who sees the Big picture in terms of developing a football club (not just a team) and has shown sheer class in the way he had conducted him self in this last week. He absolutely deserves our patience, support, and respect as he attempts to lead us through the next few transfer windows to develop a club that can compete at the top level, and that includes bringing high quality youth through the ranks inbude with his mentality.... Now thats a vision to aspire too ???

7 hours ago, rammieib said:

Pardon, and do forgive me if I’ve got the wrong end of the stick here, but how can you possibly say we started as a 4-2-3-1 but Holmes decided himself he didn’t want to sit? Did he decide that after 90 seconds when he broke out of midfield to create the goal? 

2 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Pardon, and do forgive me if I’ve got the wrong end of the stick here, but how can you possibly say we started as a 4-2-3-1 but Holmes decided himself he didn’t want to sit? Did he decide that after 90 seconds when he broke out of midfield to create the goal? 

Yes - what was a 4-2-3-1 his willingness to break beyond the lines on multiple occasion made it more like a 4-3-3 but if you watch he often dropped deep to pick up the ball.

So Cocu put a 4-2-3-1 formation out there but due to the players he played in those positions, it acted more like a 4-3-3.

Holmes for me has become our most important player in this squad now.

8 hours ago, rammieib said:

Fair to say we see the game very differently. In Leeds game, more attacking approach was taking Bielik off on sending Paterson in. Hardly a defensive switch, right? After that we actually managed to get to their end of the pitch.

Defending wise,  4-5-1 looks to be the default with bit of variation, correct. But in Birmingham attacking formation was way more fluid as it should be. 4-1-4-1, 4-1-3-2 mainly if you don't mess the numbers with fullbacks movement. Lots of interchanging and we looked especially dangerous when Holmes supporting on the right, Waggy getting closer to Martin who dropped a bit, Flojo spearheaded the attack and Paterson took his place... More of that please. Other than that, Paterson roamed everywhere and even Flojo looked better than usually, I liked especially the moments he offered the run behind their defensive line.  Far from perfect but better than before! 

8 hours ago, King Kevin said:

Poor buggers not had much luck ,we only told him Forest was a big game the day before ,even though it was a tin pot cup.

On the bright side at least this led to us not getting pasted 5-0 at Arsenal in the next round.

Archived