Hands up if you ever made a mistake

Alph

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Alpha said:

I've seen the clip of Bennett. 

I've not seen Huddlestone commit a crime or seen Lawrence at all. Keogh didn't commit a crime either. 

I didn't ask whether they committed a crime or not. Which under joint enterprise laws, they probably did actually, FYI. 

What I asked is how you getting a car with your brother who perhaps had one drink too many, is the same mistake as Keogh getting in a car with somebody THAT shitfaced. 

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

But put yourself in the position of the punisher. Do you feel fit to pass judgement? 

It's a fair point. I'm sure the people giving out the punishments will be much more objective than the fans on here, which is to be expected. Have I called for them to be sacked? Yes. But at the end of the day, whatever punishment will be given out will be done so in the full knowledge of the facts (which we don't possess) and will be done by somebody unbiased, so I do agree with you here.

Shouldn’t this be in another thread otherwise it will just turn into a debate about defending the players involved.

In answer to your question, I’m not going to give an honest answer as that would highlight some of my actions as being as bad if not worse than those of them in question. I would also fully expect from some the full criticism that them actions deserved. I have learned and grown up since then, however still know that when filled with the demon drink I still have episodes when I look at my actions and think what a twit.

I hope those involved learn from their actions, I’m not hypocritical enough to hold their actions against them, and hope other fans do the same, however I’m not sure that’s going to be the case.

6 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I have never had a few drinks and got behind the wheel of a car. I can't envisage a situation when I would.

I've never got in the car with a drunk driver. I can't envisage a situation when I would.

I've made mistakes. Not those types of mistake though.

There are rules and laws not obeyed every day. Especially on the road. And that is especially dangerous. People seem to pick and choose which ones to follow. In life, at work and on the roads. 

That's ok. But when others break rules then they are there with their rationality and rulebook. 

I can't stress enough that I'm not sticking up for our players. Just like I won't defend myself for being a passenger in my over the limit brothers car 13 years ago. 

My point is solely the position people put themselves in to make judgements. They come from the absolute perfect position of an ideal citizen. 

I don't care what happens to our players. Just reading through the comments makes me wonder why I can't leave my house without bumping into some knob who thinks he is allowed to do 40 in a 30. 

People who can't see how stupid decisions can lead to bigger stupid decisions. 

They are just there passing judgement from their ******** mountain. 

Not that I expect widespread support. Much of the criticism is fair. Plenty is also hilariously hypocritical 

11 minutes ago, GadFly said:

I didn't ask whether they committed a crime or not. Which under joint enterprise laws, they probably did actually, FYI. 

What I asked is how you getting a car with your brother who perhaps had one drink too many, is the same mistake as Keogh getting in a car with somebody THAT shitfaced. 

He was in Lawrence's car. I've not seen Lawrence. Was he shitfaced?

8 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Shouldn’t this be in another thread otherwise it will just turn into a debate about defending the players involved.

It should if we keep going back onto the incident. 

Was meant to be about the way some (not all) are reacting to it. 

I think it’s a valid thread and  a valid question. I made a similar point in the main thread about the incident.

Nobody makes 100% correct decisions. Sometimes people make appalling decisions. Being massively drunk is a direct enabler of making the worst decisions.

The bad decision was simply to get that drunk. But then how many of us have ended up that drunk unintentionally because we’ve been having a good time? Self-restraint is always easier said than done.

The decisions to drive and the decision to get in that car as a passenger are the unfathomable decisions of someone off their head. Anyone saying that they should have known better has clearly never been that drunk.

So to answer the exam question:

I once got so  drunk that I walked along the hand rail of the bridge over the ring road between the Bless and the Seven Stars. I could easily have died, and I consider myself very lucky that I didn’t.

18 minutes ago, Alpha said:

It should if we keep going back onto the incident. 

Was meant to be about the way some (not all) are reacting to it. 

I get where you are coming from, and personally prefer this angle to the siege mentality.

We are not Leeds, we shouldn’t be seen to endorse the actions of anyone at the club for this incident, we all make mistakes and quite rightly these should be condemned, however it’s how we deal and learn from them that should be the way forward now.

Alpha is right, and the reason he is right is quite simply this;

Have you EVER told a drunk person that they're drunk?

Their answer is the answer to this question about rational thinking. I know people think they're sober enough to function when they can hardly stand up, cos that is what alcohol does to the brain, it scrambles signals. Some people learn to know that they're drunk. Mine was making drunken phonecalls at 3am to people for a chat. But I've also known people to put food in an oven or in a pan and pass-out.

The biggest single drunken decision to have disastrous consequences was Philpott, but if he'd gone home and put the chip pan on and the place went up in flames, the outcome could have been the same. Drinking large amounts and rational decisions don't usually go together.

I know people who've tried swimming drunk, climbed things drunk, stolen a train (yes, a train!) drunk, and many other things they would never try when sober.

Timely thread

i have done some inexcusable things in my life and have had to pay a heavy price too and it was in my darkest hours that i learned who my real friends were, the one's who didn't give up on me, continued believing in me, that i would turn the bad into something better.  i must remember this as i like others can fall into the trap of being too harsh, too judgmental. 

The players involved have let themselves down, their families, friends, the club and it's supporters with disgraceful behavior, but i sincerely hope this can be a real wake up call for them to improve themselves, to make something good eventually come out from this mess they find themselves in and affects so many.  Touching bottom is an opportunity to push yourself up, to show first and foremost to yourself what you are really made of.

IMO this sorry episode needs to be a wake up call for the club as well, the drinking culture that led to this situation needs honest examining.

i am a Ram and always will be.  It is perhaps easier for me to state that as i am not a local and don't have to deal with the flak as much, but i am terribly upset over what has happened and the situation my beloved club finds itself in.  i am though an optimist at heart and hope that something good can come out of this.

Sorry, I respect the OP's opinion and agree with many things he says on this forum, but not this time.

The apologising for them has started. And it will look especially misguided if some of the other rumours swirling around happen to be proved true.

I'm not saying they are beyond redemption or that they don't deserve to carry on playing. But I don't want it to be here.

2 hours ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Sorry, I respect the OP's opinion and agree with many things he says on this forum, but not this time.

The apologising for them has started. And it will look especially misguided if some of the other rumours swirling around happen to be proved true.

I'm not saying they are beyond redemption or that they don't deserve to carry on playing. But I don't want it to be here.

Bang on. Not having a go at Alpha, I can just see it happening that more and more people begin to soften their stance towards them and beat themselves up about what they've done wrong.

Good question, and after reading this, ask yourself the same question.

Not proud about it, but many many years ago I also got caught drink driving.  I got a taxi home and got caught in the morning due to a headlight being out.

I did a course to reduce the ban, one of the questions we were asked was this, I think you will be surprised.

An average size man has 10 pints on a Friday night, he goes home about midnight, the next day he drinks again also about 10 pints, the next day is a Sunday. thinking he is being sensible, he has 2 pints at lunchtime with a roast. and goes home. 

When is he legal to drive.

The answer is 2am Thursday morning.  I personally thought he was mistaken, until he explained about topping up and how long it takes to leave our system. 

4 hours ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Exactly my thoughts. Not saying they should never have another job or be given a second chance. They should be allowed to change, turn their lives around and start again. But it shouldn’t be here.

13 minutes ago, BodminRam said:

Good question, and after reading this, ask yourself the same question.

Not proud about it, but many many years ago I also got caught drink driving.  I got a taxi home and got caught in the morning due to a headlight being out.

I did a course to reduce the ban, one of the questions we were asked was this, I think you will be surprised.

An average size man has 10 pints on a Friday night, he goes home about midnight, the next day he drinks again also about 10 pints, the next day is a Sunday. thinking he is being sensible, he has 2 pints at lunchtime with a roast. and goes home. 

When is he legal to drive.

The answer is 2am Thursday morning.  I personally thought he was mistaken, until he explained about topping up and how long it takes to leave our system. 

I'd be dead after 10 pints

Archived