Hands up if you ever made a mistake

Alph

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Judging by what I’ve been reading the last couple of days I’m guessing nobody on here has ever had the feeling of waking up the morning after a night out without a clue what happened the night before only to be told about all the absolutely ridiculous things they have done. Not excusing anyone’s actions but the results of too much alcohol can often have very dire consequences. I’m sure everyone involved would never dream of putting another person’s life at risk when sober. I’m hoping the lads get the help they need from the club, learn their lessons and grow as individuals from this situation. It’s just very, very sad that this has had to happen.

I'm a featherweight amongst mates but I can do 3 pints, 5 or 6 bottles and  few disgusting shots quite easily. That's starting late and not intending to get battered. That's just having a drink in my hand all night and then joining in on shots because I'm merry and easier than Katie Price. 

I also never want to go home. Too busy belly laughing. 

It's not such a crime to be photographed with 2 idiots that fancied a drive. 

The footage of them "hurtling through the village"... that looks slow. Not that it matters but i don't think the story needs more drama about who's at fault and what speed they were doing. 

I think 2 crashes, video footage of Mason and 1 bad injury is enough drama

2 hours ago, goldstar said:

Bang on. Not having a go at Alpha, I can just see it happening that more and more people begin to soften their stance towards them and beat themselves up about what they've done wrong.

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone softening their stance at all......

The time to really judge them is if they make amends to the ones they’ve hurt and upset..... and that they’ve shown full remorse, and make them change to be a better person.

Everyone knows the mistakes I’ve made..... it’s all out there, I know there’s a few who think I’m a idiot and actually scum of the earth..... I’m not going to please everybody. I know it’s hopeless to make amends to everyone.

1 hour ago, Norman said:

Is it? I can quite easily put away 10 pints on a night out. So can most of my friendship circle. I'd consider it to be normal. I only drink once a month as well. 

Not really, but then you just confirmed it to be extreme as you dont do it 2 nights consecutive.

1 hour ago, Norman said:

Is it? I can quite easily put away 10 pints on a night out. So can most of my friendship circle. I'd consider it to be normal. I only drink once a month as well. 

The example is 22 pints in one week. Yes that is extreme. Its almost 4 times the recommended weekly limit for men. 10 is still almost double the recommended amount.

Personally i think the recommended amount is a pointless figure since no amount of alcohol is good for you, but 22 in a week is definitely extreme. 10 once a month probably wont do you any short term damage though.

This whole thing makes me wonder what could really go on ALL THE TIME, that we never hear about because nobody nearly got killed. How do we know that they haven’t driven home drunk from every night out they’ve had for the last however many seasons at the club? 

6 minutes ago, GadFly said:

This whole thing makes me wonder what could really go on ALL THE TIME, that we never hear about because nobody nearly got killed. How do we know that they haven’t driven home drunk from every night out they’ve had for the last however many seasons at the club? 

Same as I don’t know if you’ve done something potentially life threatening? 

They've been caught, which is correct, they will be punished accordingly, which is correct.

Im more bothered about the aftermath, they know they’ve been lucky..... they know they’ve been idiots. I hope this incident has changed not only them as people, maybe the whole squads attitude to the potential dangers of doing this. They know it’s wrong. 

I hope they take full responsibility for what they’ve done, and hopefully they’ll make amends to everyone they have caused upset.... and I don’t mean us lot. I mean their employer, their families and other colleagues for what they’ve done. 

Ive seen first hand the destruction of individuals actions, and them turning their lives around.

I hope they can turn their own lives around. I don’t wish them ill, and I certainly won’t chuck them under a bus either 

9 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Same as I don’t know if you’ve done something potentially life threatening? 

They've been caught, which is correct, they will be punished accordingly, which is correct.

Im more bothered about the aftermath, they know they’ve been lucky..... they know they’ve been idiots. I hope this incident has changed not only them as people, maybe the whole squads attitude to the potential dangers of doing this. They know it’s wrong. 

I hope they take full responsibility for what they’ve done, and hopefully they’ll make amends to everyone they have caused upset.... and I don’t mean us lot. I mean their employer, their families and other colleagues for what they’ve done. 

Ive seen first hand the destruction of individuals actions, and them turning their lives around.

I hope they can turn their own lives around. I don’t wish them ill, and I certainly won’t chuck them under a bus either 

Each to their own. As far as I’m concerned... duck them 

Just now, GadFly said:

Each to their own. As far as I’m concerned... duck them 

Just hope your son or daughter never makes a mistake then, if or when you have any...... 

14 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Just hope your son or daughter never makes a mistake then, if or when you have any...... 

Still can't understand that. Is there no mistake so terrible you can't accept a simple apology and a promise to change? I think there are some choices people make that you can't just accept were a mistake. 

Drinking and driving is one of those mistakes so hated, so reviled in society, you can't do it. There's few mistakes viewed so seriously. Murder, sexual abuse, violence - commit that level of atrocity and you can't expect to be welcomed back. It will take time and effort to be brought back into the fold. Drink Driving is in the same level for me.

Do you think all bad choices should be forgiven?

9 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Still can't understand that. Is there no mistake so terrible you can't accept a simple apology and a promise to change? I think there are some choices people make that you can't just accept were a mistake. 

Drinking and driving is one of those mistakes so hated, so reviled in society, you can't do it. There's few mistakes viewed so seriously. Murder, sexual abuse, violence - commit that level of atrocity and you can't expect to be welcomed back. It will take time and effort to be brought back into the fold. Drink Driving is in the same level for me.

Do you think all bad choices should be forgiven?

Murder, Abusing Kids/partner, peado  I would say are ones where you can’t forgive.

Drink Driving, I know some people who have done that and been punished...... I also know people who’ve stolen, who’ve got drunk and got into fights. Not all are bad people.

I’ll reiterate here again, I think they should be punished accordingly..... what matters more is how they come out of it after. If they try to make amends, show and be honest in their remorse and learn from what they have done.... and be better people I hope.

I think everyone has differing lines of where it’s drawn, maybe I’ve been a tad harsh in the last reply..... it’s something I’m still learning to accept. Everyone has differing levels 

9 hours ago, GadFly said:

TLDR. 

Title tells you all you need to know. Utter ********. 

Yes I have made a mistake, many mistakes... a mistake that could easily, very easily, result in an innocent person's death though? Nah. 

Well aren’t you person perfect 

sorry mate, don’t believe you. 

Done a bomb in swimming pool, Chuck something across a room, gone a bit quick in a car at the wrong moment , run an amber light .. 

you have 

Not defending them, but young adults do make mistakes, I made many, but  as a person I grew from them, and I am the person I am today, still enjoy a good drink, in fact going round Sheffield , for a sesh before the Barnsley away game, imagine how gutted Keogh is now, might never play again, yes as captain he should have gone home, but he stayed out got pissed and went into a car with someone over the limit, but let's us remember, Keogh did not break the law Lawrence did, and yes he could pay a high price for that, he could be looking at jail time, Many footballers and human beings have done a lot worse.

3 hours ago, BodminRam said:

Good question, and after reading this, ask yourself the same question.

Not proud about it, but many many years ago I also got caught drink driving.  I got a taxi home and got caught in the morning due to a headlight being out.

I did a course to reduce the ban, one of the questions we were asked was this, I think you will be surprised.

An average size man has 10 pints on a Friday night, he goes home about midnight, the next day he drinks again also about 10 pints, the next day is a Sunday. thinking he is being sensible, he has 2 pints at lunchtime with a roast. and goes home. 

When is he legal to drive.

The answer is 2am Thursday morning.  I personally thought he was mistaken, until he explained about topping up and how long it takes to leave our system. 

Me too. But I also stopped feeling the need to preposition with "not proud about it" a long while ago too; it certainly doesn't provide a reprieve for the act and those who feel (and there are some) that they are owed moral superiority won't be obliged with one iota of it from me; being conciliatory to strangers whose lives and judgements one knows nothing about...years ago maybe, not now. My incident was certainly the making of me given it was the sharpest and crudest wake up call I ever had. And for that reason I'd not unreverse it. Fortunately I managed to keep my job at that time but that is about the only positive I can remember from a pretty dark time. I hope for these (relatively) young lads that they accept what the law sees fit to dish out and that they learn from it, they can't do much else afterall.

Incidentally, one of the benefits of that experience (and there are some) is that I found it a lot easier to relate to people that ordinarily, without that event, I would have no doubt looked down my nose upon and had no sympathy toward. The sort of people who may have grown up impoverished, abused etc. and had committed crimes in their youth. And their rap sheet invariably closing the door on any real opportunity in later life. It made me appreciate that the justice system should be prepared to give further chances to people, of all stripes and backgrounds, writing people off isn't ultimately good for society.

Archived