Hands up if you ever made a mistake

Alph

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, John_The_Waff said:

There are subtle differences between both of those scenarios:

We aren't talking about any old Mr Smith and Mr Jones. We are talking about professional athletes who are paid huge salaries to represent a football club. Those individuals are also role models to thousands of young children. They are paid huge salaries to compensate for the sacrifices that they should make, such as not getting steaming drunk, not taking drugs and not living off of junk food.

Secondly, Beckham kicked out at a fellow player on the pitch. Our own morons got into two powerful cars whilst intoxicated, putting others at risk of serious injury or death.

I hear you and I'm not justifying what they did. They deserve whatever punishment is deemed appropriate by the powers that be.

The fact that they're well paid ambassadors for the club makes it hard to bear but, just because they are paid a shed load of money doesn't mean they are infallible. Yes they should be taking extra special care to be role models but the OP was about making mistakes. Mistakes for which they deserve to be punished but I believe @Alpha was driving the fact that everyone, everywhere makes mistakes. These are particularly public and particularly disappointing because of their status. I am shocked and disappointed by what they've done but I don't think it's helpful for me to stand in judgement and claim I've not done similar stuff in my time (in the general sense i mean, not drink driving) They have to face the consequences and repent but some of the outrage on social media and elsewhere smacks of hypocrisy.

My point RE Beckham wasn't to compare the crimes, merely to point out that people have selective memories when it comes to mistakes. He was vilified relentlessly until he did something people liked and then became a hero to the very same people.

To err is human, to forgive, divine. To forget when it suits you makes you a football fan, I guess.

2 hours ago, Alaw said:

Some of the replies in this thread actually beggar belief. Are some of you really trying to justify and excuse what's happened to your club here???

No, quite right you are certainly not Leeds. Leeds' name was splashed over the front pages of every football page and website for days following "Spygate". Skysports had a field day with it for nearly two weeks and still refer to it now . This is, of course, bearing in mind that nobody broke any laws, nobody damaged any property and nobody caused or sustained any injuries and certainly no potentially career-ending injuries.  Sky has barely mentioned this incident, nor has the BBC and some of you are frothing at the mouth because the Mirror has dared to go into detail.

Don't trivialise this - the irresponsible and reprehensible behaviour of at least two, possibly more of your first team could have lead to people dying and you (and they - your players and club) are incredibly lucky that didn't happen. Instead your captain has lost at least one year of what's left of his career. Horrible as he is he didn't deserve that, stupid as he was to get into that car.

There is no way "Mel" will sack your two lead protagonists in all this because let's face it, he doesn't have any stadiums left to sell, so you're relatively safe there.

But it's ok, people make mistakes though, don't they? Applause to those of you who get that there is no excusing what's happened here. If it was Leeds I would be similarly ashamed and thoroughly mortified, believe that or not, I don't really care. 

Be thankful you're not a big club or you'd never, ever hear the end of it. 

Boo hoo everybody is against us. Why do the media pick on us? It's because we are a big club they want to keep us down to boost EFL revenue blah blah blah. 

Give it a rest ffs. 

Nobody has excused anything. Stop being a one of the Leeds crybabies that sound just like Man United fans do (you're rivals aren't they? ?) and show me one single post where anyone has excused them. How many posts do you think I could show you of people calling for them to be sacked. 

What you have done is come on here to bitch and moan with that 'anti Leeds' nonsense like a stroppy teenager. You saw an opportunity to compare it to some petty little poo Leeds think they have gone through and here you are with the "it's not fair!!" garbage that you constantly all cry. It's irrelevant.

Yes, you're a huge club. One of the biggest in Europe. There's Real Madrid, Barcelona and Leeds. Leicester are still a small club. Bournemouth are non league. Man City are a small club that's rich. Everybody talks about Leeds. My kids are wearing Leeds shirts right now. Kids at school wearing Bamford shirts and in Malaysia right now is a shrine to Jermaine Beckford. 

We get it. Huge. Massive. 

And it really is very very interesting. I'm certainly wanting to talk more about the MI5 conspiracy against Leeds. But unfortunately we haven't got a thread for you so maybe you could like make one? On your own forum? We'll all visit. Go wait for us

14 hours ago, Alpha said:

So, it's not a thread to defend the 2 drunk drivers.

With all the abuse and condemning though I just thought how our own mistakes would be judged. How our near misses in life got past the media spotlight. How we maybe didn't get away with being stupid but took away a life lesson? 

I mean whatever happens to our players then so be it. I don't really care. Like most people I'm imagining someone I love being hurt or worse by them. 

I'm thinking about all the stupid things I have done. All this stretching of laws and rules I do. I've been caught speeding. 37 in a 30. I'm ashamed to say I've been in a car with someone over the limit when I was young. Not steaming drunk but still... 

How many of you speed? "Well it should be at least a 40". How many of you drove before the drink drive limit laws? How many of you leave the correct distance between you and the next vehicle? How many of you give the cyclist the correct amount of room? How many of you would fail a driving test now? 

Who's been on a crazy night out where Dave has got in a fight over a spilled pint or Steve has danced on car while Karen staggers across a road unaware of that taxi?

Who as a kid walked on railway lines, ran across busy roads, climbed fences, vandalised, stole, threw stones at windows etc etc.

We all do stupid stuff. We make small insignificant (to us) decisions that you reflect on and think "what a fecking idiot"

Stupid things where at the time you thought you were in control of the situation or you were doing something a bit dodgy but you'll be alright. 

Am I the only one that sees another person make a mistake and it makes me reflect on what I would/could/should have done. 

I look at the aggression aimed at Keogh and Huddlestone and while I'm no way saying Huddz for captain and save a place for Keogh in our defence, I'm also not calling for a public execution. Why? Because I have done stupid poo and I should/do know better. But like so many other people I try to cut corners in life. 

When our players stayed for another drink I'm sure at the time it seemed insignificant. Who has never had "one more". Who has never stayed in bed for that extra 10 minutes or popped in for that cuppa you've not got time for.? Who's never flirted with that girl you shouldn't be flirting with? 

When Mason started being sick was it really that bad if Huddlestone films it. Banter. Harmless micky taking. 

He puts it on social media. It's going to get Mason embarrassed, a few might moan and a few might love it that the lads are bonding. They loved Bryson having a beer and Waghorn in the away end. They loved Nuge hanging out at Wembley. Nothing to it. 

When a bunch of drunken lads talk about going home and now drunken idiot A says to that drunken idiot B that he's ok to drive do you expect drunken idiot B to have a rational argument. Nah, we'll be alright. Look! We are barely drunnnkkzzz attt alllllgh. 

Small stupid decisions. Big repercussions. And now they will rightly pay for it. I'll have no sympathy but I can't look past my own stupidity to lay into them like some are. 

Don't take this post as a defence of them. It's not. 

I'm just looking at all the judgement passed on them and wondering who it's coming from because I expect some of it to be coming from real perfect people. 

You might say "you wouldn't be saying this if they had killed your kids". Correct. But somebody would have to think it otherwise every crime would be punishable by death!! 

I'm going to get grief now for defending idiots. I'm honestly not. I've just been an idiot too and so have most people playing judge jury and executioner. 

I don't think every crime gets the punishment it deserves. But at the same time I don't feel I'm qualified to decide on the punishments

Top post Alpha.

I have been as big a fool as any of those players in my youth. Not driving related as such but equally, if not worse, stupid and reckless in other ways.

Not condoning the absolute idiocy of professional footballers getting that wrecked 4 days before a match, they deserve everything thats coming to them, but i get your point that a lynch mob reaction is pointless. 

3 hours ago, Alaw said:

. Horrible as he is he didn't deserve that, stupid as he was to get into that car.

Horrible as he is?

i would disregard this statement if it was some kind of immature banter, but reading your post you sound like you mean it.

pre this incident please justify this statement of ‘ fact ‘ with something more than an opinion with no actual justification. On the pitch he has been a solid professional. His disciplinary record has been exemplary as a CB.

Please explain why “as horrible as he is “ is something you would describe him as .

Orherwise we will accept your ignorance as stupidity, or your stupidity as ignorance. It amounts to the same thing, your choice.

3 hours ago, Alaw said:

Some of the replies in this thread actually beggar belief. Are some of you really trying to justify and excuse what's happened to your club here???

No, quite right you are certainly not Leeds. Leeds' name was splashed over the front pages of every football page and website for days following "Spygate". Skysports had a field day with it for nearly two weeks and still refer to it now . This is, of course, bearing in mind that nobody broke any laws, nobody damaged any property and nobody caused or sustained any injuries and certainly no potentially career-ending injuries.  Sky has barely mentioned this incident, nor has the BBC and some of you are frothing at the mouth because the Mirror has dared to go into detail.

Don't trivialise this - the irresponsible and reprehensible behaviour of at least two, possibly more of your first team could have lead to people dying and you (and they - your players and club) are incredibly lucky that didn't happen. Instead your captain has lost at least one year of what's left of his career. Horrible as he is he didn't deserve that, stupid as he was to get into that car.

There is no way "Mel" will sack your two lead protagonists in all this because let's face it, he doesn't have any stadiums left to sell, so you're relatively safe there.

But it's ok, people make mistakes though, don't they? Applause to those of you who get that there is no excusing what's happened here. If it was Leeds I would be similarly ashamed and thoroughly mortified, believe that or not, I don't really care. 

If you take the time to read the thread solely about this, you will read that there is not one post that didn’t think is was completely life threatening, stupid and completely inexcusable behaviour!

No one is making excuses and from reading the forum posts, we are all ashamed and disgusted at the events.

you are one a sub thread where all the posters that have already expressed their feelings about this are now talking about the aftermath.

You will find at this club, we as fans , feel the same way as a fan from another!

Take the time to find out before you pass judgement.

4 hours ago, Alaw said:

Stones and glass houses if you’re Leeds. What exactly were the charges when some of Leeds first team decided to beat up some guys cause they were Asian?

8 hours ago, Alaw said:

I think you have come here looking for something thats not. The majority of Derby fans are appalled by whats happened, the difference of opinion is over what punishment should be received.

To pick a couple of points out you have made.

Firstly Mel sacking the players involved. I i am honest no i dont think he will, like it or not footballers are a valuable commodity, doesnt mean i agree but there you go. Leeds would do exactly the same no doubt, in fact they already did. Fabian Delph was a very valuable commodity for Leeds when he was caught, did Leeds sack him? No they continued to play him even refusing offers in the next transfer window.

On your point about the stadium, why has it bothered Leeds fans so much? Or are we saying selling the stadium to generate funds is something Leeds would never do? Erm, but they already did a few years ago. Ah but Leeds might argue they have bought it back, but no they havent, the owner has and has bought it in the name of a company he owns, which will be for one reason only, to exploit a loop hole and create a financial benefit for Leeds the club.

9 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Blimey. I pretty much said similar to this and my post was removed. 

Posts are removed if they contain libellous content (or break other forum rules), or are part of a conversation that quotes a post which does. It may not have been anything to do with the words you used. Can't see which post you mean so can't help I'm afraid. 

9 hours ago, Ruda Harliss said:

I work on highway maintenance and get drug and alcohol tested at random. Our policy on alcohol is that we are not allowed about HALF the amount in our system than the legal limit. We have to be on call for a week, ironically to clear up the mess left by drunk, reckless drivers. Attending fatalities is part of our job and it is just horrific. We had recently, had an expert to talk about this to us. 

He stated that the average man, if drank 6 pints of pub standard beer/larger  % about 3-4% and last drink was about 23.00 ( last orders) that you shouldn’t be in a car till about midday. This seemed to me a bit overkill, as 6 beers didn’t seem excessive on a Saturday or maybe Sunday night. So driving to work at 6-7 ish I think puts a lot of people at risk of being over. Half a bottle of whiskey is quite a lot.  I’m not suggesting you were over the next time you drove , at all!  just that if we drink excessively ( and I do sometimes) we really don’t know how long it is before we’re Ok. We might feel fine but test over.

I was done by about 4:30pm though ?

59 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Posts are removed if they contain libellous content (or break other forum rules), or are part of a conversation that quotes a post which does. It may not have been anything to do with the words you used. Can't see which post you mean so can't help I'm afraid. 

I personally didnt think any rules were broken but hey. I dont want to upset anyone 

There are mistakes and then there are mistakes. We’re not talking about Keogh passing the ball across his own goal without looking here.

Some mistakes I have sympathy for. Others I find harder. The ones I find harder are ones which took place over a period of time.

One of the players had just been to an event the day before where, if he were listening, he’d understand the statistics and the increased likelihood of an accident.

There’s also the fact that you don’t get drunk in a moment. You have to decide to have the drinks. And then decide to ignore the taxi home. And then decide to drink some more. And then decide to drink some more. And then decide to drink some more. And then decide to get in your car and drive home.

I also find it hard to fathom how not one person in the group suggested to get a taxi home. I could believe that someone in my group of mates - maybe even me - would let the thought enter my head for 10 seconds of “but home’s only a few minutes away...” But I also know that we have a couple of brain cells between us.

It is not just one mistake. It’s a series of mistakes in a group of people, with three not having the integrity to spot the biggest mistake of the lot, which resulted in the death of somebody increasing hell knows however many times over.

Think it’s a bit too soon to say “people deserve to be rehabilitated” @Alpha. People are entitled to be angry, but when people calm down, they will of course hold that view.

My point is this is not the kind of mistake you can’t come back from or even the kind you can move on from. It is, however,  a mistake big enough that you should expect vitriol and anger in the days after it happens. 

We are trying a team of top professionals and athletes. You cannot afford to carry a whole bunch of bad apples. The decision making is really easy.

keogh - out

lawrence - out

bennett - out

malone - out

huddlestone - out

2 minutes ago, Duracell said:

There are mistakes and then there are mistakes. We’re not talking about Keogh passing the ball across his own goal without looking here.

Some mistakes I have sympathy for. Others I find harder. The ones I find harder are ones which took place over a period of time.

One of the players had just been to an event the day before where, if he were listening, he’d understand the statistics and the increased likelihood of an accident.

There’s also the fact that you don’t get drunk in a moment. You have to decide to have the drinks. And then decide to ignore the taxi home. And then decide to drink some more. And then decide to drink some more. And then decide to drink some more. And then decide to get in your car and drive home.

I also find it hard to fathom how not one person in the group suggested to get a taxi home. I could believe that someone in my group of mates - maybe even me - would let the thought enter my head for 10 seconds of “but home’s only a few minutes away...” But I also know that we have a couple of brain cells between us.

It is not just one mistake. It’s a series of mistakes in a group of people, with three not having the integrity to spot the biggest mistake of the lot, which resulted in the death of somebody increasing hell knows however many times over.

Think it’s a bit too soon to say “people deserve to be rehabilitated” @Alpha. People are entitled to be angry, but when people calm down, they will of course hold that view.

My point is this is not the kind of mistake you can’t come back from or even the kind you can move on from. It is, however,  a mistake big enough that you should expect vitriol and anger in the days after it happens. 

You're right as usual. 

But I'm not wrong, ok? OK?! 

It does make me think of some of the stuff that goes that carries such dangerous consequences if compiled by a spot of bad luck or another tiny mistake. Just like times me and my mates have done stuff and you look back and cringe. 

Even makes me think back to the car crash I had in February which was my fault. It was an honest mistake and not through being any type of idiot. Maybe a small lapse in concentration. The telegraph report was fairly vague. Then some dick on social media started saying I ran a red light with kids in the back and then the comments started. I mean firstly for me to have run a light the car that hit me must have also ran a red light. And then the only real witness who drove past wouldn't have been able to drive past. And the fact there was nowhere there when we were all getting out the cars. 

But you have utter Bamfords on social media etc that talk like they've never made a daft mistake. I read it but I never met a person that hasn't made a mistake. Do they not leave the house? 

But anyway, I'm going on. You are right. 

51 minutes ago, RamNut said:

We are trying a team of top professionals and athletes. You cannot afford to carry a whole bunch of bad apples. The decision making is really easy.

keogh - out

lawrence - out

bennett - out

malone - out

huddlestone - out

I must have missed the Malone involvment. What's he done in this?

2 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

I must have missed the Malone involvment. What's he done in this?

Theres another video filmed by one of the group,that somehow made its way to The Sun, showing Malone comatose in a chair getting slapped by tom lawrence, which fails to revive him.

Archived