Hands up if you ever made a mistake

Alph

So, it's not a thread to defend the 2 drunk drivers.

With all the abuse and condemning though I just thought how our own mistakes would be judged. How our near misses in life got past the media spotlight. How we maybe didn't get away with being stupid but took away a life lesson? 

I mean whatever happens to our players then so be it. I don't really care. Like most people I'm imagining someone I love being hurt or worse by them. 

I'm thinking about all the stupid things I have done. All this stretching of laws and rules I do. I've been caught speeding. 37 in a 30. I'm ashamed to say I've been in a car with someone over the limit when I was young. Not steaming drunk but still... 

How many of you speed? "Well it should be at least a 40". How many of you drove before the drink drive limit laws? How many of you leave the correct distance between you and the next vehicle? How many of you give the cyclist the correct amount of room? How many of you would fail a driving test now? 

Who's been on a crazy night out where Dave has got in a fight over a spilled pint or Steve has danced on car while Karen staggers across a road unaware of that taxi?

Who as a kid walked on railway lines, ran across busy roads, climbed fences, vandalised, stole, threw stones at windows etc etc.

We all do stupid stuff. We make small insignificant (to us) decisions that you reflect on and think "what a fecking idiot"

Stupid things where at the time you thought you were in control of the situation or you were doing something a bit dodgy but you'll be alright. 

Am I the only one that sees another person make a mistake and it makes me reflect on what I would/could/should have done. 

I look at the aggression aimed at Keogh and Huddlestone and while I'm no way saying Huddz for captain and save a place for Keogh in our defence, I'm also not calling for a public execution. Why? Because I have done stupid poo and I should/do know better. But like so many other people I try to cut corners in life. 

When our players stayed for another drink I'm sure at the time it seemed insignificant. Who has never had "one more". Who has never stayed in bed for that extra 10 minutes or popped in for that cuppa you've not got time for.? Who's never flirted with that girl you shouldn't be flirting with? 

When Mason started being sick was it really that bad if Huddlestone films it. Banter. Harmless micky taking. 

He puts it on social media. It's going to get Mason embarrassed, a few might moan and a few might love it that the lads are bonding. They loved Bryson having a beer and Waghorn in the away end. They loved Nuge hanging out at Wembley. Nothing to it. 

When a bunch of drunken lads talk about going home and now drunken idiot A says to that drunken idiot B that he's ok to drive do you expect drunken idiot B to have a rational argument. Nah, we'll be alright. Look! We are barely drunnnkkzzz attt alllllgh. 

Small stupid decisions. Big repercussions. And now they will rightly pay for it. I'll have no sympathy but I can't look past my own stupidity to lay into them like some are. 

Don't take this post as a defence of them. It's not. 

I'm just looking at all the judgement passed on them and wondering who it's coming from because I expect some of it to be coming from real perfect people. 

You might say "you wouldn't be saying this if they had killed your kids". Correct. But somebody would have to think it otherwise every crime would be punishable by death!! 

I'm going to get grief now for defending idiots. I'm honestly not. I've just been an idiot too and so have most people playing judge jury and executioner. 

I don't think every crime gets the punishment it deserves. But at the same time I don't feel I'm qualified to decide on the punishments

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, GadFly said:

TLDR. 

Title tells you all you need to know. Utter ********. 

Yes I have made a mistake, many mistakes... a mistake that could easily, very easily, result in an innocent person's death though? Nah. 

Do you drive? 

Title doesn't tell you all you need to know. I don't believe you even read the post

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Do you drive? 

Title doesn't tell you all you need to know.

I do not. Neither does Keogh. 

When I need to get home from a night out, I get a taxi. I walk. I do not get in a drunken friend's car.

I earn less in a year than Keogh does in a week. I can afford a taxi home. 

I am firmly of the belief that almost anyone can be rehabilitated and become a better person after making a mistake. That's my view on the drink driving.

That doesn't take away from the fact that professional athletes should not be vomiting on the week of a game or that a senior figure should be thick enough to send the video to anyone outside of the club. It suggests to me that they don't have the mentality required to get us promoted. And, ultimately, that's what I care about. I'm not suggesting that they're terrible people, but that Keogh and Huddlestone aren't suited to the captaincy and that Bennett and Lawrence are perhaps showing why they haven't lived up to their obvious potential.

Just now, GadFly said:

I do not. Neither does Keogh. 

When I need to get home from a night out, I get a taxi. I walk. I do not get in a drunken friend's car.

I earn less in a year than Keogh does in a week. I can afford a taxi home. 

I don't think Keogh jumped in with Lawrence because he couldn't afford a taxi

The mistakes i have made in life i have beat myself up more than anybody else could.

Therefore, if i have a few drinks i guarantee i won't be driving a car because i won't forgive myself.

I'm 27 years old, 2 years older than Tom Lawrence. If i was in Tom's shoes (I never will be) i would feel i deserve all i get.

If i was in a position of leadership and betrayed that like Keogh has, again i wouldn't forgive myself and feel i deserve all i get.

A couple of weeks ago i drank half a bottle of whiskey on a Sunday and didn't feel capable of putting my son to bed. I was panicking about not being fit for work the next day (I was fine) and was angry with myself for a few days. No laws broken.

So in answer to the question, yes i have made mistakes. And fully held myself responsible for them, taking any criticism i deserve.

6 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

or that a senior figure should be thick enough to send the video to anyone outside of the club.

So this is sort of saying "it would be better if they didn't get caught"? Right? 

Surely it's a good thing that we all (fans, media, fans of other clubs, staff, everyone) can see things as they really are, rather than having this swept under the rug? I for one am glad that things are as out in the open as they are. If it's happening I'd prefer to know about it. At least we know where we stand, how much (or how little) respect these players have for not only the club, but my life as another person who uses the roads. 

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I don't think Keogh jumped in with Lawrence because he couldn't afford a taxi

No neither do I... that is exactly my point. 

He jumped in with Lawrence because he's an arrogant Bamford who thinks he and his friends are too good to obey the laws designed to keep the rest of us alive. 

4 minutes ago, GadFly said:

Yes. Yes I do expect that. 

You expect drunk people to make rational decisions? No you don't. Nobody does. Nobody anywhere expects drunk people to make rational decisions. 

Keogh made stupid decision that was impressive levels of idiotic even coming from a stupid person. 

But are you prepared to discuss your biggest mistakes? 

I made the same decision as Keogh once. My brother was over the limit. Not drunk. He wasn't drunk. He was over the limit. So I thought we'd be ok because he's not drunk at all. I was. And the next morning I realised what an absolute fecking idiot we had both been. 

Should I have been sacked? Am I unfit to walk among this fine human race? Am I stupid? Was I stupid before I did that. 

This thread is only for people passing judgement to think about the way they have handled themselves at times. It's not another thread to hammer our drunk players. That's got 4 threads and is all over every news and social media page. 

I'm not even saying don't hammer them. I just think there's plenty more dicks like them that should look at themselves too instead of pretending to be the best interneter ever 

10 minutes ago, GadFly said:

No neither do I... that is exactly my point. 

He jumped in with Lawrence because he's an arrogant Bamford who thinks he and his friends are too good to obey the laws designed to keep the rest of us alive. 

Have you ever broken rules?

Does that make you an arrogant Bamford for thinking you don't have to obey rules? Do you pick and choose which rules you follow?

(Once again, not sticking up for Keogh. Just pointing out the lack of self awareness so many people show. Not necessarily you.)

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Have you ever broken rules?

Does that make you an arrogant Bamford for thinking you don't have to obey rules? Do you pick and choose which rules you follow?

(Once again, not sticking up for Keogh. Just pointing out the lack of self awareness so many people show. Not necessarily you.)

........ ?

Yes I have broken rules, many times... a rule that could easily, very easily, result in an innocent person's death though? Nah. 

8 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I made the same decision as Keogh once. My brother was over the limit. Not drunk. He wasn't drunk. He was over the limit. So I thought we'd be ok because he's not drunk at all. I was.

How is that the "same mistake" then? Have you SEEN the video showing the sort of state these players were in before they drove? Certainly wasn't "not drunk" or "only the tiniest little hair over the legal limit".

1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

I have never had a few drinks and got behind the wheel of a car. I can't envisage a situation when I would.

I've never got in the car with a drunk driver. I can't envisage a situation when I would.

I've made mistakes. Not those types of mistake though.

It is done. Please close this thread. 

18 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

The mistakes i have made in life i have beat myself up more than anybody else could.

Therefore, if i have a few drinks i guarantee i won't be driving a car because i won't forgive myself.

I'm 27 years old, 2 years older than Tom Lawrence. If i was in Tom's shoes (I never will be) i would feel i deserve all i get.

If i was in a position of leadership and betrayed that like Keogh has, again i wouldn't forgive myself and feel i deserve all i get.

A couple of weeks ago i drank half a bottle of whiskey on a Sunday and didn't feel capable of putting my son to bed. I was panicking about not being fit for work the next day (I was fine) and was angry with myself for a few days. No laws broken.

So in answer to the question, yes i have made mistakes. And fully held myself responsible for them, taking any criticism i deserve.

I agree. I'd feel the same. 

The topic I'm getting at though is those that are kind of summing a person up by their mistakes. Or those that are calling for specific punishments. 

I completely agree I'd take punishments on the chin. 

But put yourself in the position of the punisher. Do you feel fit to pass judgement? 

(Hopefully this post doesn't come across aggressive. I'm not having a go! ?)

1 minute ago, GadFly said:

How is that the "same mistake" then? Have you SEEN the video showing the sort of state these players were in before they drove? Certainly wasn't "not drunk" or "only the tiniest little hair over the legal limit".

I've seen the clip of Bennett. 

I've not seen Huddlestone commit a crime or seen Lawrence at all. Keogh didn't commit a crime either. 

Archived