Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

39 minutes ago, GrimsbyRam said:

I am absolutely disgusted in that video of Bennett, if that truly is from last night.   Very fortunate that there has not been a death in this sad sorry story.  If convicted, they should not be allowed back to this club after seeing that.  Having said that, knowing the magistrates' sentencing guidelines 120-150 in breath is a starting point in custody.  35 is the legal limit so it is only 3-4 times over.  He appears paralytic and by his own admission in the video says he has had more than three (pints of Peroni).  

Can they plead guilty at the first hearing?

I’m assuming the prosecution will divulge the level of alcohol readings?

If that video was taken at 8 and Bennett left at 12 the Lord alone knows what he’s blown.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I take a moment to step away from the drink-driving element here to say I am completely and utterly disgusted at the fact that a player appears to be drinking like this with us sat 18th in the table with one win on the board?

Any argument of “this is just what lads do” is blown out of the water when you consider that these are professional athletes. Forget the damage to the liver, the inevitable hangover that should be recovery time the day after, and the late bed time incurred by the event - and just consider the calorie intake from that drinking session alone. If you want me to take your profession seriously, you need to act professional first. This player was effectively drinking pints of liquid cream days before another league match.

I drink pints because I am a normal 25 year old man (well, maybe not normal, but usual enough). When you are paid £10k a week to be an athlete, you are no longer a usual man. You should treat your body as such.

Is it really that much to ask footballers to sacrifice drinking for a decade or two of their lives in favour of glory on the pitch and money in the bank?

That’s the side of this that upsets me as much as any other. That the players at our club have so much contempt for their profession, that they consider the behaviour in the video acceptable, is a huge worry.

I think the vast majority of players in the 70s would’ve turned their nose up at this, and they were traditional boozers. 

7 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Can they plead guilty at the first hearing?

I’m assuming the prosecution will divulge the level of alcohol readings?

If that video was taken at 8 and Bennett left at 12 the Lord alone knows what he’s blown.

Yes they can plead but would most likely be adjourned for an all options Probation report, unless they do a stand down....the CPS lawyer will read out a summary of the incident

29 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

His voice sounded sober in the video, unlike Lawrence. Still, completely wrong for him to be seemingly egging him on and posting it in a public place. Beyond stupid.

Even taking the drink driving aside, I think what has happened is completely wrong. But do you not think that this sort of thing happened on a much larger scale in years gone by? You were there during the 1970s and 1980s, right? I imagine it would have been a lot worse then, although they were paid a lot less obviously. This is the piss up I'm on about, not the drink driving (even though I imagine that happened even more too).

So because things used to happen in the past makes it somehow more excusable?  Lots of things in lots of areas are no longer acceptable when they were accepted or turned a blind eye to so I’m not quite sure the point your trying to make , is it ok to give racists a pass because it went on in the 70s and 80s? Homophobia? 

People in the 70s tended to feel sorry for drink drivers unlucky enough to be caught but we’ve moved on and are far more aware and it’s not acceptable now , 

im looking forward to the day when it’s unacceptable for people to by totally pisxxed up in pubs ,at games on the streets so that ordinary people can feel comfortable to take kids to games ,go into town with your wife for a meal on a weekend , never mind pissexd up professional footballer spewing up in decent pubs toilets and crashing cars

3 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Well, Ant off the TV made a recovery from a public driving ban and a shameful video of him at the scene, hopefully these lads can redeem themselves too in time.

I hope for masons sake he gets sacked, it may be the shock the idiot needs to get his life on track. Learn from his mistakes as a stupid young man and possibly get a chance somewhere in league 2 to rebuild his career. If he does a bit of time it would be deserved. Hopefully for his daughters sake this maybe what he needs to do some growing up

4 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Can I take a moment to step away from the drink-driving element here to say I am completely and utterly disgusted at the fact that our players are drinking like this with us sat 18th in the table with one win on the board?

Any argument of “this is just what lads do” is blown out of the water when you consider that these are professional athletes. Forget the damage to the liver, the inevitable hangover that should be recovery time the day after, and the late bed time incurred by the event - and just consider the calorie intake from that drinking session alone. If you want me to take your profession seriously, you need to act professional first. Our players were effectively drinking pints of liquid cream days before another league match.

I drink pints because I am a normal 25 year old man (well, maybe not normal, but usual enough). When you are paid £10k a week to be an athlete, you are no longer a usual man. You should treat your body as such.

Is it really that much to ask footballers to sacrifice drinking for a decade or two of their lives in favour of glory on the pitch and money in the bank?

That’s the side of this that upsets me as much as any other. That the players at our club have so much contempt for their profession, that they consider the behaviour in the video acceptable.

I think the vast majority of players in the 70s would’ve turned their nose up at this, and they were traditional boozers. 

Excellent point. I think footballers often forget that the sport means a hell of a lot to so many people out there.

So, while they're happy to take it for granted and get absolutely wasted a couple of days before a game, there's fans who are genuinely ashamed of seeing videos and stories like this.

I'm actually annoyed at myself for how much this whole thing has bothered me as a 27 year old man. Between sitting 18th in the table, seeing our players get absolutely wrecked like this, and then two of them drink driving, I feel utterly embarrassed that they've done so representing Derby County.

37 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The club pay their wages not the fans.

And the fans give the club money,

tell you what don’t send me the 10 k cheque , send it my mate who I will name as main contractor and I will just subcontract the job off him ,,, 

kaboom , I can have your doe and sleep easy 

21 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Can I take a moment to step away from the drink-driving element here to say I am completely and utterly disgusted at the fact that a player appears to be drinking like this with us sat 18th in the table with one win on the board?

Any argument of “this is just what lads do” is blown out of the water when you consider that these are professional athletes. Forget the damage to the liver, the inevitable hangover that should be recovery time the day after, and the late bed time incurred by the event - and just consider the calorie intake from that drinking session alone. If you want me to take your profession seriously, you need to act professional first. This player was effectively drinking pints of liquid cream days before another league match.

That’s the side of this that upsets me as much as any other. That the players at our club have so much contempt for their profession, that they consider the behaviour in the video acceptable, is a huge worry.

Spot on 

On 25/09/2019 at 18:01, Justa said:

Awful post - what if they had killed someone ? It’s only luck that they haven’t.

Imagine if someone who had lost a son or daughter to a drink driver read this ?

My OH drives on that stretch during week on way home from work; usually about an hour before this or thereabouts.  These fools could have killed somebody. It illustrates how, in the blink of an eye, people's lives can be ruined, changed forever by drink driving. 

These players are a disgrace to the badge, to the club, to Mel Morris, to Cocu and to the fans. I would be happy to get rid of all of those involved and have a mass cull of the bad eggs in January, of which it's evident we have many. It's a disgrace that Bennett drove in that state.

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Very strange that there was no mention of Keogh going to hospital, from what I am told only Lawrence went as a precaution, yet he may have suffered a career ending injury.

Me thinks the true facts are not being released here.

That was my initial thought as well. Just catching up with the statement and press conference and the Keogh comments dont feel right.   

Archived